Help locating a car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderguns71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback small block, now 429.
I know this is a long shot, but I figured I'd try anyways. Maybe even someone has an idea as where to start. Anyways to the story.

I've always known my dad had a 72 Mach 1 Mustang "back in the day." He occasionally talks about it and apparently it was his pride and joy. Unfortunately he didn't have any pictures of it, etc so it was just stories. Well recently I found some old paperwork and lo and behold there were no pictures, but a time slip and a vin number to the car where he had bought it in the early 70's. So I just sent off and received a Marti on the car which I'll post and maybe by a super long shot it's still around? If nothing else I'd like to locate one like it to restore for him, since he doesn't know anything about this. Ever since I finished my 71, I figure I need to do a 72 next anyways, lol. Any help or ideas would be really appreciated!

Wow 25 hits and no responses!!!! Dont worry that is lurkers. So the answer is go to the DMV in NC or the area surrounding where your dad sold the car. It will be a needle in the haystack!!! The chances of the DMV helping you are little to NONE! the option is if you know a police officer to run the serial. The chances of that... well you have to find that person that doesn't mind. Or you can play a game...take a fake bill of sale to the DMV as if you want to register the car....see if they say "sir someone else owns that car...do you have a document with their signature" RUN LIKE THE WIND!!

if you ever found it.... then you would have to get the owner to SELL IT. THEN deal with parts, rust, restoration.

What I'm saying is I would encourage you to buy a lotto ticket.... the odds are better.

Oh I know it'll be practically impossible. I'll be keeping my eye out for a 72 Fastback to restore for sure.

well we wish you good luck on finding Dad's car. Truthfully if you can find a PO...that would do you a favor....they have the quickest most efficient access. Ask around your local Car Club maybe one is lurking around. We have one in our club and his wife has a 72 or 3 and we are the only two within 30 miles with 71-3 cars with the exception of 429 here,...HE the officer wont give you the time of day ...but a few do. IF you were in Florida I could hook you up my daughter or son in law would take care of it....but they are cool.

I know this is a long shot, but I figured I'd try anyways. Maybe even someone has an idea as where to start. Anyways to the story.

I've always known my dad had a 72 Mach 1 Mustang "back in the day." He occasionally talks about it and apparently it was his pride and joy. Unfortunately he didn't have any pictures of it, etc so it was just stories. Well recently I found some old paperwork and lo and behold there were no pictures, but a time slip and a vin number to the car where he had bought it in the early 70's. So I just sent off and received a Marti on the car which I'll post and maybe by a super long shot it's still around? If nothing else I'd like to locate one like it to restore for him, since he doesn't know anything about this. Ever since I finished my 71, I figure I need to do a 72 next anyways, lol. Any help or ideas would be really appreciated!

Later this week I have a meeting with our local DMV Inspector. He is the guy that has to come out and verify the VIN# on any Antique or Custom car you register in North Carolina, 71 - 73 is an antique. I will ask him if he will at least run a check to see if the car is still in North Carolina.

They have got very strict here on old cars due to the theft and altering the VIN#.

David

You've got the VIN number, so your ahead of the game already.... I see no reason why you or someone you know couldn't sweet talk somebody into running the numbers for you...

You've got the VIN number, so your ahead of the game already.... I see no reason why you or someone you know couldn't sweet talk somebody into running the numbers for you...
The national databases only go back 10 years. Longer than that, and you have to hope that you can find it through the system in the car's last state of origin (if you know it).

Even then, sometimes these cars wind up as ghosts. I had to use a title company on the NY 1972 Q-code, as it was on renewable registration (1973 was NY's first year for titles) with a lost registration card (but a bill of sale from the original owner) and last registered in 1991 (with a NY inspection sticker). NY had destroyed the microfish records from back then already.

-Kurt

Back