1973 Mach 1 Ram Air Parts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow C6 auto
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow, 4 speed
1973 H code Convertible ivy glow, FMX
Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket Ram Air parts for the 71-73 Mustangs? I have had a nice original Ram Air air cleaner assembly from a 351 2V 73 Mach 1 for over 25 years now but I have never purchased the plenum or the flapper doors (mostly due to the high price for those items). How about the aftermarket plenum/flapper set up? The price is right but I'm not interested if it is of poor quality or doesn't work. I would like to put that Ram Air air cleaner to work on my Mach 1. Thanks for your help.

Talk to Don (cousin BS) at Ohio Mustang Supply, he will shoot you straight on the quality.
I installed the complete Ram Air setup that I bought from Ohio Mustang Supply 2-3 years ago. It fit fine and the flappers still work well. Just be careful when attaching the vacuum hoses to the flapper's vacuum actuators, don't use too much force. The nipple is just pressed into the vacuum canister. Mine came off once but I pushed it back in with no further problems.

I got mine from Laurel Mountain Mustang, best price + shipping that I could find. I think most of these are made by "Dyna-Cor" . Mine installed well, the only thing I had to do was do a little filing where the flapper closed, it was rubbing and sticking closed from a raised mold line on the unit. I checked the operation out with a vacuum pump before installation. Here is a link from a Mustang Monthly article on adding the unit to your car...

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_0907_how_to_install_ram_air_1973_mustang/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good question I would like to know also.If installing the ramair Aftermarkets parts what other parts will you have to scrounge up to make it work?
Nance, you just need this

Don

Item #3641QXYKIT

71-3 RAM AIR SYSTEM KIT

Ram air system includes metal base complete with snorkel, vacuum assembly and lid, hood plenum with functional vacuum flapper assemblies, seal, vacuum lines, tee, screws, clips, filter, breather element and wing nut. Kit for 351C. Excellent reproduction. Price: $539.95

Will the ram air work with aftermarket carbs and intakes?

I am wanting to upgrade my carb and intake and would like to have the ram air but not sure it will work.

I am wanting to upgrade my carb and intake and would like to have the ram air but not sure it will work.
May have to do some modifing to make it work due to the hight of the intake and carb.

Be careful with aftermarket distributors and intakes and carbs. I could never find a distributor that would fit with the factory ramair air cleaner. I do have an aftermarket low rise intake and Edelbrock carb that fit fine.

May have to do some modifing to make it work due to the hight of the intake and carb.
186_8658.JPG

Talked with Don and had him put it on my order already that should ship thursday to save on shipping.

Am sure i can get it to work. I might have to run an open air filter but will see.

I THINK, the originals are made of fiberglass for the plenum and some sort of paper material for the plenum to hood air intakes. I've got the originals and that's what they look like but couldn't believe they're still in great working shape after all these years. Don't believe the repops are made with weaker materials. I've got the edelbrock manifold and carb with spacers for a good fit. Just watch how you handle and install them and don't over torque the mounting screws.

I got mine from Laurel Mountain Mustang, best price + shipping that I could find. I think most of these are made by "Dyna-Cor" . Mine installed well, the only thing I had to do was do a little filing where the flapper closed, it was rubbing and sticking closed from a raised mold line on the unit. I checked the operation out with a vacuum pump before installation. Here is a link from a Mustang Monthly article on adding the unit to your car...

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_0907_how_to_install_ram_air_1973_mustang/index.html
Thanks for the info trainey! That helps a lot.

I have the aftermarket plenum on mine. Very happy with the quality but nobody would confuse it with the OEM. I have a mid rise manifold so I was not able to use the air cleaner. So what i did was get a K&N filter with a filter top and glued the rubber off the air cleaner onto the plenum. Had to massage the plenum hole open a bit more to the back but when the hood closes the rubber fits down around the air cleaner nicely and allows the car to draw most of it's air thru the Ram when it's open and still draw heated air from the engine compartment when it's closed.

Obviously not Concourse but fully functional.

Back