71 Stock Drive shaft strength ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helldive

Reaction score
My Car
71Mach1
90LX
07Ram
Any one have a guess how much the stock drive shaft can take ?

My car had a 302 and c4 from the factory but now the c4 is built

and I have a built 351c makin about 500hp...

Thanks for any input !

Well, now would be the time to replace u-joints with the best you can get your hands on. I knew a guy once who twisted the front yoke into the trans output shaft, and did it with a windsor. Others may chime in here, but I would say with 500hp, don't skimp on any parts you could upgrade!! I'm only going to be making 335-375hp, and I had my DS re-tubed, and upgraded u-joints, and got new u-bolts for DS.

I ordered a Mach 1 new in 73 and still have it. Q code with 4 speed, 3.25 gear. I broke the rear yoke 3 times in about 6 months when the car was new. The dealer was fixing under warranty but I said something had to be wrong that a Ford 9" should be better that that. This is a stock engine with the F-70 Goodyears 1/2 the HP your going for. They called in a Ford rep and as soon as he walked under the car on the lift he knew the problem. My car was made near the end of production and they put the rear and driveshaft in the car that would have been in yours with 302. They changed everything and never broke another one in the 12,000 miles on the car.

David

Great info guys thanks. I did upgrade my joints but not the shaft... Ill be getting in to that soon now.

Back