1973 Mach 1 Serial# 100003

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
If he is selling for a friend who restored the car.

Why would he not know the color of the car, interior and BODY style.

Also notice the painted over fender bolts

That ruined it for me

That ruined it for me
They did not paint around the front side marker lights before applying the stipe and also the frame around the light should be flat black. I don't think the sprayed the black around the tail lights going to the honeycomb panel.

This would maybe be the first 73 Mach down the line never know.

David

If it runs good and there aren't any hidden rust or other issues (excessive bondo, etc.) the $22K buy now price isn't a bad asking price.

That ruined it for me
They did not paint around the front side marker lights before applying the stipe and also the frame around the light should be flat black. I don't think the sprayed the black around the tail lights going to the honeycomb panel.

David
Are you saying that the light frame around the front marker light should have been black? If so that is not the case in all cars. Mine was not painted either, it is white in the attached pic. Could be differences irt where the car was produced. I debated this when I restored my car and kept it the same.

IMG_0678.JPG

That ruined it for me

David
Are you saying that the light frame around the front marker light should have been black? If so that is not the case in all cars. Mine was not painted either, it is white in the attached pic. Could be differences irt where the car was produced. I debated this when I restored my car and kept it the same.
I have an early 73 Q code mach 1 - red with black stripes - marker light bezel is red

David
I have an early 73 Q code mach 1 - red with black stripes - marker light bezel is red
I would only ask are you the original owner since I ordered this car and have been the only owner. It has been sitting in the barn since. 1983 and is a 12,000 mile car. It was painted around the front marker lights before the stripe was applied and the frame around the light is also black. The car is 5H paint code. This Mach 1 for sale on ebay right now has 2,000 original miles and is the same also. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Original-Unrestored-Survivor-Mach-1-w-only-2-000-miles-Yellow-Black-2-owner-/161621743145?forcerrptr=true&hash=item25a1681629&item=161621743145&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

They also painted the area between the honeycomb panel and the tail lights in the rear with flat black before assembly. I attached pics of my car and my tail light and the yellow car is on ebay now for $50,000 I think.

The paint is peeling on mine and bare in mind this car has not been washed in 32 years. If you wash a car I as sure it would have came off by now but the black should have been on the light frame.

David

David,

Here is another pic of original paint on a 73 Mach 1 showing after they have removed the honeycomb panel.

It shows the factory blackout under the honeycomb panel.

Pic from the 429 Megasite:

73 blackout tail panel.JPG

More discussion on the same topic:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-73-honeycomb-install

Ray

I would only ask are you the original owner since I ordered this car and have been the only owner. It has been sitting in the barn since. 1983 and is a 12,000 mile car. It was painted around the front marker lights before the stripe was applied and the frame around the light is also black. The car is 5H paint code. This Mach 1 for sale on ebay right now has 2,000 original miles and is the same also. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Original-Unrestored-Survivor-Mach-1-w-only-2-000-miles-Yellow-Black-2-owner-/161621743145?forcerrptr=true&hash=item25a1681629&item=161621743145&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

They also painted the area between the honeycomb panel and the tail lights in the rear with flat black before assembly. I attached pics of my car and my tail light and the yellow car is on ebay now for $50,000 I think.

The paint is peeling on mine and bare in mind this car has not been washed in 32 years. If you wash a car I as sure it would have came off by now but the black should have been on the light frame.

David
Well. I'm the second owner of this car

I know John is the original owner of his car

I have had 25 or more 73 mach 1's - never saw any blacked out

This side marker light black out debate has been going on for a long

time. I have no info on a date or change of the black out details.

I assume it was done both ways or changed at some point

As for the tail light panel that has been blacked out on all cars with the honey comb or the metal trim panel

David

As for the tail light panel that has been blacked out on all cars with the honey comb or the metal trim panel
I am sure there could have been a change but mine was made late in May of 73. There is no way I could have peeled the stripe off painted it and put the stripe back on. I can take pictures of the marker light in back to show it has never been off. The frame on the light was factory black also.

I have been at assembly plants and things get missed or left off but even if they did not paint under the stripe black the frame should have been. Maybe we should look at VIN#s and see if we can find a break point. The low mileage one on ebay was also black. Another mystery to study!

Went looking at 73 brochure and there are pictures of two with blacked out side lights. The small picture in the corner looks like color but cannot tell for sure. I am 100% sure that mine and other were black. My car was shown one time in an MCA national show in unrestored and they did not say anything about the lights being incorrect but said lots of fasteners were and the car had never been apart. That is the reason it go put in a barn in 1983 I do not do politics, lol.

David

Last edited by a moderator:

David

I am sure there could have been a change but mine was made late in May of 73. There is no way I could have peeled the stripe off painted it and put the stripe back on. I can take pictures of the marker light in back to show it has never been off. The frame on the light was factory black also.

I have been at assembly plants and things get missed or left off but even if they did not paint under the stripe black the frame should have been. Maybe we should look at VIN#s and see if we can find a break point. The low mileage one on ebay was also black. Another mystery to study!

Went looking at 73 brochure and there are pictures of two with blacked out side lights. The small picture in the corner looks like color but cannot tell for sure. I am 100% sure that mine and other were black. My car was shown one time in an MCA national show in unrestored and they did not say anything about the lights being incorrect but said lots of fasteners were and the car had never been apart. That is the reason it go put in a barn in 1983 I do not do politics, lol.

David
David, I'm not doubting you

Mine is an early car

Don't go by what you seen in the sales lit as 100% correct

David

Mine is an early car

I as thinking could it have been an assembly line thing? My car was made in Dearborn where was yours made? Could it have been color specific? When you google 1973 mustang mach 1 and look at the pictures some have it and some do not. I think I only saw one of the silver stripe ones that had silver light frame and painted under.

It will be another one of those things that will never find a reason unless someone has the work instructions from the assembly plants.

When the QS and ISO certifications started years ago most of that info got trashed to clean up the systems.

Be neat if we could locate one of those inspectors that put the yellow stamps all over the car maybe they could shed some light.

David

David

Mine is an early car

I as thinking could it have been an assembly line thing? My car was made in Dearborn where was yours made? Could it have been color specific? When you google 1973 mustang mach 1 and look at the pictures some have it and some do not. I think I only saw one of the silver stripe ones that had silver light frame and painted under.

It will be another one of those things that will never find a reason unless someone has the work instructions from the assembly plants.

When the QS and ISO certifications started years ago most of that info got trashed to clean up the systems.

Be neat if we could locate one of those inspectors that put the yellow stamps all over the car maybe they could shed some light.

David
All 73's were made in Dearborn

Mine is early, John's is late.

Might be a color thing - mine is red with black stripes

Mine is an early car

David
All 73's were made in Dearborn

Mine is early, John's is late.

Might be a color thing - mine is red with black stripes
My car came off the assembly line on 6/28/73. I purchased the car on 9/20/73. Yeah I have seen these both ways and kept mine like it was.

I owned this car between 1990 and 2002. We bought it in Hermiston, OR from Rorhman Ford. A salesguy had it on the lot in some TV ads, which is how I saw it. Before that, it was an undercover drug car in Toppenish, WA used by the police in various stings.

I've been watching for it to resurface. The ad claiming 16,000 miles is WRONG. I drove this car across country twice. If I recall I turned the odometer at least 3 times. A low mileage car it is not. The engine was pretty much worn out when I sold it. It had classic rust issues in the wheel wells along with the trunk. I wrecked it in Spokane, WA in the summer of 1990. It required a new clip and extensive repair. That work was performed by Rutt Enterprises of Pasco, WA.

It's good to see it again. Disappointing to see it with louvers on the real window and the slotted mags. The car was NOT a slotted mag car. Instead, a 14X6 trim ring car. Of which I still have a show quality set I kept in storage from my days of owning the car.

One of my last pictures of the car when I had it:

5c076242-af49-4145-b31a-4098f73765cf.jpg

It is the earliest surviving 73 VIN mustang. It's sales date was in October at a Detroit area Ford dealer. I never quite knew why it sat for awhile. May have been a promo car? It's DSO is 84, home office reserve.

Anyhow, I spent my teens and 20s in that car. Drove the hell out of it. It's 2.75's and H code didn't give a lot of giddyup. But was a nice car to own. Moved on a M code 71 mach Grabber Green Metallic... then when the recession hit had to sell out completely.

I have a few pieces still. A set of standard 15X7 1970/1971 BOSS steel wheels with a set of driver quality and NOS trim rings. The show set of 14x6 rings I had for 003. I still have the front "73 Mach" plate from the car too. I only shipped it off with the rear plate. ;)

Anyhow, glad to stroll down memory lane. Sad to to the see car "optioned" unnecessarily, but it appears well.

Cheers,

Stephanie Sandlin

Edit: A quick poke through my files yielded these. The front 73 mach plate is in hiding, I did find the temp tag though... I also decided to watermark these images. I don't want a seller swiping them and then giving the story themselves passing these images off as their originals. Seen it done before. Too much hook and crook goes on in selling cars. :/ The seller is welcome to contact me to discuss. That I'm happy to do. I'm not just going to post these for the world to swipe though.

Additional images:

d0423dcc-5d29-48f6-8915-07e45d395403.jpg

2fa563f4-ca42-483f-8437-f94b5f15cc74.jpg

32be3206-fcc5-4ded-a8ca-4c5ff8569c9f.jpg

63339fae-afa1-4de7-add9-d413f8024fbd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is neat that you had the information on the car. A car is only original once and after that you don't know what you have. There is a local man here that purchased a 65 mustang new and has put over 1,000,000 mile on it yes one million. Several engines and lots of work. He had it totally restored and you would think it was hardly driven looks brand new. I agree that there are more people trying to make something out a pieced together mustang and say it is totally original.

Great info.

David

Back