Marvel Mystery Oil

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
When I changed my oil last fall I added Marvel Mystery Oil to both the crank case and Gas tank. In less then 100 miles I noticed the engine seem to run and idle smoother and quieter. I had always has some level of lifter noise but that seem to completely go away. Has anybody else had any experience with MMO? Good or bad.

I will know soon. I put it in the gas of my Mach 1 when I parked it in 1983 and also mixed 50 / 50 with gas and poured down the carb while running to get everything oiled on valves and rings. I intend to see if the car will turn over this summer. If it does that will be a good experience. I think I also put some 2 stroke oil in the gas I poured in also. It has been around a long time for sure.

David

It truely is good stuff. I brought a MG midget 1500 engine back to life after it sat for 14 years in my dads carport. A couple of oil changes replacing one qt of oil with MMO and it is clean and quiet and oil flows to all of the good places.

It truely is good stuff. I brought a MG midget 1500 engine back to life after it sat for 14 years in my dads carport. A couple of oil changes replacing one qt of oil with MMO and it is clean and quiet and oil flows to all of the good places.
+1. Strange name, good product. Chuck

After working in the auto-parts industry I'm very leery of most additives like motor honey and alike but I've heard so many positives about MMO that it possessed me to try it. So far I'm impressed.

Personally, I never saw the need for any crankcase additives, especially ones that are touted as "cleaners".

Anything that "loosens" carbon clinkers just freaks me right out... The idea of taking an old or unknown engine and flushing the vintage sludge down to the crankcase, where it will plug up the pickup screen, or be recycled through the oil pump (gouging the oh-so-important georotor clearance), or be fed back up to the soft cam/crank/rod bearings where it will gouge on the journals...

I could go on and on...

I'd rather leave the clinkers be. Don't poke a sleeping bear.

Change oil and filter frequently and let the fresh dinosaur sauce do its thing.

I often read how motorcycles, especially street bikes, need "rebuilt" or have bad rings, etc. I cringe every time, and wonder what catastrophic nonsense could have caused it.

Back in the day as a late teen and 20-something, I thrashed a lot of streetbikes... street cruising, roadracing, drag, etc. Many a redline was tapped, gearboxes and clutches were abused badly (the trans and engine share lube on Japanese bullet bikes) - never had ONE failure due to oil. Probably because I changed it every 1000 miles or so.

My stuff was spotless, always.

No black magic, snake oil, or big money lubes were used.

Just my opinion.

When I changed my oil last fall I added Marvel Mystery Oil to both the crank case and Gas tank. In less then 100 miles I noticed the engine seem to run and idle smoother and quieter. I had always has some level of lifter noise but that seem to completely go away. Has anybody else had any experience with MMO? Good or bad.
I HAVE USED MARVEL MYSTERY IN MY 3514V since the 70`s I told about it by a friend that was mechanic and also good engine builder.I use one quart of Marvel with four quarts of 10w40. 351 CLEVELAND wend they sit( not started for day or weeks)seam too have noisey lifters until they all "PUMP UP"

Marvel helps the LIFTERS PUMP UP faster 302&351w don`t have this issue with the LIFTERS; but I still use Marvel my RANCHERO 302. I know some people will not agree with me so I will say this first, I LOVE MY 351 CLEAVELAND But they do have unique ticking(clatter) lifter noise,that other FORD v8s don`t have. Before any body tells me I need new LIFTERS, I will tell you that ,it sounds just it did when I bought it new in 1973.And a few of my friends had 71-73 351C,(when they were new) and they all sounded the same at idle. Larry

MMO is 73% light machine oil, 25% stoddard solvents and 2% lard.

It is a great soft-carbon dissolving formula and top cylinder lubricant.

Add 1/2 can to fresh oil change and 1/2 can to a full tank of gas and you will see noticeable improvements.

Sea Foam is very similar formula, works the same way.

It cannot hurt your car's engine. The only possible detriment is a slight octane lowering when used in gas. Negligible on street cars.

MMO is 73% light machine oil, 25% stoddard solvents and 2% lard.

It is a great soft-carbon dissolving formula and top cylinder lubricant.

Add 1/2 can to fresh oil change and 1/2 can to a full tank of gas and you will see noticeable improvements.

Sea Foam is very similar formula, works the same way.

It cannot hurt your car's engine. The only possible detriment is a slight octane lowering when used in gas. Negligible on street cars.
I researched MMO before using it and you sound like 99 percent of the people who had and still use it. My own experience up until that point had been to free-up a frozen lawn mower motor. (which it did). Thanks for your feed-back. Frank

Back