another magnum wheel question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1
hi, here is another wheel question. I bought my 72 mustang from the original owner who had non-oem wheels on it, but he said he had the original steel rims and trim rings. the wheels are 15 x 8's. my question is.. did ford sell mustangs with 15 x 7's in front and 15 x 8's in the back like their selling magnums now or did they come with just 15 x 8's all around?? thanks

The 72 Mustang had the Magnum wheel option which only came in 15x7 sizes all the way around. The 15x8 wheels are repros. There is another thread on how to tell the difference between OEM and Repro wheels.

Any 71 or 72 Mustang ordered with Magnum 500 wheels (as listed on the invoice or Marti report) would have 15 x 7 inch wheels. There were no 15 x 8 inch Magnums. Those are all repops.

Some are really nice but easily identified as repops.

Steel wheels (rims) caps and trim rings would be 14" unless car ordered with 15 inch tires (again as listed on the invoice/Marti).

Ray

Any 71 or 72 Mustang ordered with Magnum 500 wheels (as listed on the invoice or Marti report) would have 15 x 7 inch wheels. There were no 15 x 8 inch Magnums. Those are all repops.

Steel wheels (rims) caps and trim rings would be 14" unless car ordered with 15 inch tires (again as listed on the invoice/Marti).

Ray
hey ray and jeff, the steel wheels with dog dish and trim rings originals15 x 8"s, so magnums only came 15 x 7 ?

Magnums ONLY 15x7...here is a pic of what OEM markings look like on an original. Can't see without tire being removed.

fbc9ll.jpg

my bad, i was measuring outside bead to outside bead. big shoutout to BOSS1RAY thank you for all your info, its good to know someone with a world of knowledge willing to share it with a rookie thank you- brian

Ray
hey ray and jeff, the steel wheels with dog dish and trim rings originals15 x 8"s, so magnums only came 15 x 7 ?

my bad, i was measuring outside bead to outside bead. big shoutout to BOSS1RAY thank you for all your info, its good to know someone with a world of knowledge willing to share it with a rookie thank you- brian
Thanks Brian.

Before you know it you'll be sharing info on correct 15 inch wheels for 1972 Mustangs with another member on here.

I continue to learn from this site - you will too.

Ray

No 8" wide wheels of any variety ever offered on any 71/73 Mustang.

Believe it or not, a 7" wide rim was considered to be a pretty aggressive wheel for a stock vehicle back then. And the F-60-15 tires were seen as "huge" for an OEM offering. Funny how things change...

I think the Corvette and Trans/Am were the first American-made vehicles to embrace 8" rims...maybe.

my car came with steel wheels with dog dish and trim rings originals15 x 7 all 4 of them..with ford stmped on them..i got the old dog dish and i prefer them over magnum500..why?..a stallion that has his own taste?.

besides not having a marti report..cost to much 4 me...i have been looking for those stock 15x7 rims for decades..nada,nothing,not even one..lots of Dodge ones, but offset and dog dish tabs different..

71 blue black int, 302 conv Hawaii car

72 mach1 ontario car.."the rustang" Q code, nodular,staggered, 4speed red and red.

72 hardtop Q code,c6, staggered shocks, red and was white in, but black/red now.

65 corvair conv x2..and a 65 comet wagon 404, black out , greenUGHin,[ 260?or 289?originally?] c4.

74 honda cb550

78 cimattii moped

ebikes...incase im out of gas..which is often.

my car came with steel wheels with dog dish and trim rings originals15 x 7 all 4 of them..with ford stmped on them..i got the old dog dish and i prefer them over magnum500..why?..a stallion that has his own taste?.

besides not having a marti report..cost to much 4 me...i have been looking for those stock 15x7 rims for decades..nada,nothing,not even one..lots of Dodge ones, but offset and dog dish tabs different..

71 blue black int, 302 conv Hawaii car

72 mach1 ontario car.."the rustang" Q code, nodular,staggered, 4speed red and red.

72 hardtop Q code,c6, staggered shocks, red and was white in, but black/red now.

65 corvair conv x2..and a 65 comet wagon 404, black out , greenUGHin,[ 260?or 289?originally?] c4.

74 honda cb550

78 cimattii moped

ebikes...incase im out of gas..which is often.
sorry guy i'm keeping the the original steels, just had them repainted

Back