Cowl paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al rumble

Reaction score
My Car
1973 grande
Hi guys. Just looking for a little direction here.

I had some fist size patches of paint peeling off the top of the cowl area. I couldn't stand the site of bare metal so I scraped and sanded most of the paint off. As it drops down towards the engine bay there is a seam. I chipped away what I am guessing is body panel filler? Pain in the butt to get off. My plan is now to prime with etching primer and raddle can it satin black. I'm wondering if this is going to protect it enough or should I too be filling it with some sort of filler?

Thanks for all the great info.

I would replace any seam sealer and try to duplicate the factory application then paint with satin Black.
Do you think I should prime then seam seal then paint?

Hi Al,

Yes, remove seam sealer if necessary, then prime, then seam seal again, then black once seam seal is cured, not before. I like Sikaflex auto sealers myself.

Tip - If rattle cans are your only way here, so be it, but you would be much better off by using a spray gun with paint from the tins. The rattle can paint has very little thickness to it, and doesn't deliver the proper goods for paint build and good looking finish as much as paint from the can does. 2Pack satin black is the way to go in that regard if you can.

Greg.:)

Thanks for that.

Guess I should get my paint gun out of the box.

2pack satin black? By that do you mean paint and hardener?

Thanks for that.

Guess I should get my paint gun out of the box.

2pack satin black? By that do you mean paint and hardener?
Yes, that is correct. If you decide to go that way, make sure you mask off the entire rest of the car very well to avoid paint drift overspray.(motor bay especially) Tip - When spraying, turn the air pressure down somewhat to reduce the fumes and overspray coming off the gun. Say, around 25-30Psi.

Also, i dont reduce my 2 Pack satin black for an even better looking result.

Greg.:)

Back