what are your ( harmless) vices?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

If you have potentialy harmful vices...that is not for this post.

I assume most of us here share one common vice: 71-73 Mustangs.

Beyond a mere interest or hobby, I have been known to get fanatical about stupid little OCD-details concerning Mustangs in general and mine specifically. That is why I call it a "vice".

My other so-called vices are watches ( Omega and Brietling, specifically), vintage military leather jackets ( the "A-2" being my favorite), boots and a few old TV shows.

And old toys from my youth. Lots of them. A few have "value", most are worthless. They all have value to me though!

What are some of you other guy's and gal's vices?

If you have potentialy harmful vices...that is not for this post.

I assume most of us here share one common vice: 71-73 Mustangs.

Beyond a mere interest or hobby, I have been known to get fanatical about stupid little OCD-details concerning Mustangs in general and mine specifically. That is why I call it a "vice".

My other so-called vices are watches ( Omega and Brietling, specifically), vintage military leather jackets ( the "A-2" being my favorite), boots and a few old TV shows.

And old toys from my youth. Lots of them. A few have "value", most are worthless. They all have value to me though!

What are some of you other guy's and gal's vices?
Wow we have so many mutual interest. I love watches and antique clocks. I love leather jackets military style are the best. I love old toys from my childhood and have searched some out on the internet. I'm a huge fan of certain old TV shows. I also love motorcycles.

I owned a burger restaraunt several years ago, and the "theme" I came up with was an old "Flying Tigers" pilot who is now selling burgers with recipes he learned from flying around back then.

The mascot wore typical pilot gear from back then. I had a bunch of replica A-2 jackets done up look distressed and with his name badge on the front, and a nice replica leather "blood chit" on the back. Sold them for $300 each. I see people randomly around here still wearing them ftom time to time.

I kept a few in storage.

I would say my affliction for cars..but you said "harmless" they are harmful to bank accounts.

cows

boots (heard the old saying "all hat an no cattle) well I just dont own a hat.

Misc. music stuff I "may" own some of the last photos of Stevie Ray Vaughn. a professional photographer that was assigned at his last gig took these at the end of his last set before exiting the stage. I acquired them at a charity deal.

I have a few items only cool to me, Led Zep sets never opened Bill Monroe set given to me by ex Cowboys player. Allman Brothers book worthless but I like it. an old Johnny Cash album

One NASCAR thing I have the sports illustrated 2/28/01 and my daughters drawing of Earnhardt from 3 different pics she drew together in a collage.

Cars...well only harmful to a checkbook

I didnt ever get the "cool" comics or toys as a kid so although I respect the stuff I wouldnt buy the stuff.

So I cant really say these are vices...just odds and ends that decorate my office.

My only vices are cussing, smoking, and my obsesion with cars...

I do have a pair of unused hologram-logo'd tickets to Dale Earnhardt's 500th career start in mint condition. They have his name and logo as the ticket's artwork. They were for a race in Watkins Glen. I am not a NASCAR fan so I never used them, and then he got killed and I just threw them in my filing cabinet.

Figured someone would covet them someday...

If anyone is interested, hit me up.

I own a 'mostly' 1982 Jeep Cherokee that I also fix up and take out wheel'n. Heavily modified.

I hike. Weekly I hike a local mountain 3 or more times. When I can I like to backpack, my main stomping grounds being the Grand Canyon. I have a decent collection of light weight camping gear.

That I'm really into guitars is a well known fact but the other thing that keeps me busy and is always on my mind is cooking. I love to cook. Right now it's exactly midnight and some guests have just left. I love to have people over for dinner so I can spend time in the kitchen.

Other than that I used to love watches, especially Nomos. But I lost one of my Nomos watches and that hit me so hard that I stopped buying watches altogether.

I still have a Nomos Tangente Sport with dark brown face and automatic clockwork behind a glass back.

I also have a vintage old IWC with an automatic clockwork.

The one I lost was a Nomos Ludwig, also with a glass back that my wife gave me for my 30th birthday. I could kick myself for losing it. :-(

Lux cool on the watches...as stated earlier it has others attention too. I would love to have some old watches. Really love the look of some of the cool stuff. However each time I look at one that lil guy on my shoulder :huh: always tells me.."dude you could buy another classic car for that much" so the purchase never happens.[/align]

My worst harmless vice? Ice cream!:D

I love playing computer games that require skill. I also love reading, mostly history, military, science, and sci-fi.

I'm also an historian, specializing in the disappearance of Amelia Earhart and Arctic exploration.

At work, I'm best at failure and engineering investigations, much like NTSB and such. Having worked on cars and knowing how things are designed, put together, and then fail has helped me tremendously. Another thing that helped was being trained by one of the best MCA judges to see flaws when no one else can has paid dividends at work as well. Unfortunately, I can't watch movies any more because all I see are the goof-ups.

Answering for both of us Mustangs for sure.

Me, The usual gal stuff - Dancing at least 3 to 4 times a week, Music and Reading.

Jeff, The usual guy stuff- Cars, Horses, Guns and Video Games.

For me its reading. Pistol shooting but not sure if the travelling and competing actually makes me crazy or happy. Couple of watches Rolex and Panerai's because of the early link between them and because some family members that have served on both sides wearing these brands, Big thing for knives mostly Kukri's and custom blades just getting into Japanese blades. Oh and this forum

Outside of the obvious we share, I'm through and through a baseball crazed maniac. As a kid, grew up memorizing more from the backs of baseball cards than anyone could ever possibly need to know.

Somehow Brew you reminded me of a funny. I dont go to bars...dont drink and drive but I do keep....keep is not correct I allow cases of beer to stay in my garage for short periods of time... So the funny I get this survey call. She ask permission to ask if I drink beer. YUP So the survey goes through many many brands, everything from what labels were on them to taste and commercials.

after the survey..."sir I'm afraid we will not be able to use your information for our results" "oh okay just curious why not" "sir you apparently are an employee for a beer company" "No ma'm I'm not why would you come to that conclusion" "you answered all the questions correctly and nobody has ever done that before" :cool:

:huh: lollerz

So knowing all that information is pretty useless but I know it.

My harmless vice is fed by nostalgia for familiar icons from the period of my youth - the nineteen-seventies and early eighties.

As a kid one of the best things to do was to go for a ride on the pushy (bike) to the local Milk Bar (shop) to get a bag of mixed lollies, soft drink or ice-cream (and for the bad kids - cigarettes). In small country towns a Milk Bar would also sometimes sell petrol from a petrol bowser (gas pump) located out the front of the shop. For non-Australian readers, a Milk Bar is not a shop that serves glasses of milk over a bar, it would be more like the equivalent of a small Mom and Pop store in the US, selling confectionery, ciggies, bread, milk, newspapers, soft drinks etc.

In Australia in the seventies there were Milk Bar's everywhere, but in modern times the rise of the petrol station convenience store has wiped out eighty percent of the Milk Bar's.

In a fit of nostalgia, using a great little PC design program called "Google Sketchup" to create the rough plan, I built a Milk Bar in my back yard - well, sort of. In actual fact I built the front of a Milk Bar only, with a porch from which I can sit on and drink a cold coke in the shade :)

It's a work-in-progress still and requires some landscaping to be finished at the front, but it's come out pretty good so far. I plan to grow tall bushes behind the side picket fences so that when the bushes are tall enough they will block the view of the side fence of my property and give more of an illusion that there is a whole building there, not just the front of one :p

g3z8WcW.jpg

XgIPbkG.jpg

WPo4Epz.jpg

sgWwjAS.jpg

faQPav1.jpg

wTXQjxl.jpg

KIGxqJg.jpg

FB1kdRZ.jpg

...and following with this theme I've amassed a small collection of soft drink bottles from the sixties and seventies that make a colourful display:

WtgjaKY.jpg

Finally, here's another fight of nostalgic fantasy, I designed and built myself an arcade machine emulator which plays every single arcade game that I played as a kid!
smiley_pacman_by_xmlpfimloverx-d6qb2vp.gif

coplCoq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
wow...really awesome Brett! Besides the cars I love to travel and am into cigars, wine, good craft beer, and even some good liquor. Last Thankgiving week I was "visiting" my daughter who is now living in San Francisco (kids doing great!) and my wife and two daughters ended up a winery called Ravenswood. We were tasting and have a good time talking with the owner and the subject somehow changed to cigars. Next thing you know I'm in the VIP section overlooking Sonoma with Carlos Fuente (you cigar aficionados know who he is) smoking his from his private stock. Needless to say I'm now a wine club member at Ravenswood! :)

One of my favorite things is to take one of the cars out for a drive through wine country. In Texas we don't have the "great" wineries but there are quite a few up and coming and some of the wines remarkably good. I think we're up to ~50 in the "hill country". It's a wonderful drive and a good excuse to put the top down which is just what we did yesterday.

Like Lux, I love to cook, but especially BBQ. Like to smoke things like pork shoulders, brisket, ribs, etc. We have lots of guests as an excuse to fire up the pit and enjoy my other vices...lol. Oh, and for fun I love to play golf. Lots of others I dabble in, but only so much time in a day!

JHawk

Back