72 Mach 1 R code on ebay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible 351c 4v 4 speed

2013 Mustang Boss 302
Because those are hand stamped and whoever stamped it wasn't detail oriented (upside down 1), it's possible. I would be concerned with the condition of the seat, why the brake pedal pad had to be replaced and why it was repainted (and the paint is now in the condition it is) on a car that has only 31,000 miles. The driver's seat in my 74,000 mile car is in much better condition. I would want to look at the VIN on the fender aprons, door plate and buck tag, just to make sure.

Because those are hand stamped and whoever stamped it wasn't detail oriented (upside down 1), it's possible. I would be concerned with the condition of the seat, why the brake pedal pad had to be replaced and why it was repainted (and the paint is now in the condition it is) on a car that has only 31,000 miles. The driver's seat in my 74,000 mile car is in much better condition. I would want to look at the VIN on the fender aprons, door plate and buck tag, just to make sure.
All the above plus verify orignal carb.

The engine bay looks fishy in general.

It would be interesting to know if the engine/tranny were serialized just prior to putting them in the car, or if they were pre-serialized and then staged, and also if his tranny is stamped with the same "mis-matched" number. I have a J code '68 California Special with 50K miles, and the last digit of the VIN is off by 2 (stamped 110 instead of 112), and the tranny matches (also stamped 110). I do know that 110 was also a J code CS, so I don't know if someone with a hangover grabbed the wrong engine/tranny, or if they just kept stamping with the wrong number.

Steve

All the above plus verify orignal carb.

The engine bay looks fishy in general.
+1

Engine bay.

mike

+1

I would say 131,000. A really nice looking car but that "one number off' stamping just bothers me. A list of previous owners would help substantiate the mileage. I'd want to be able to contact them - not just hear from the current owner about what he heard/was told...

Ray

That's the info i got and can help ya with guys, He posted it a few weeks ago when he bought it.

uploadfromtaptalk1425863108192.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1425863130060.jpg

I guess it pays to do your homework and research. I have not seen the car in person so I am just guessing on info I have.

Really hope it goes to a good home.

Ray

Back