Roller Rocker question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I was installing my scorpion rockers yesterday, and came across one that I could slightly feel the needle bearings in. None of the others felt like this one. It had no slop mind you, I could just ever so slightly feel the bearing needles in it. Should I send it back? I have time on a dyno scheduled this week and don't really want to cancel.

That's a tough call, could be a piece of junk or a bad needle that will just get worse and fail.

It could also be dry. I would soak it in light oil and move it around to see if it gets any better.

You could run it for the dyno run and then pull it to see how it feels and hope it doesn't fail. If it does start to fail you should be able to hear it. If it does fail, it shouldn't cause any catastrophic damage, although the oil pump could suck up some debris.

Better safe than sorry. People have lost engines due to failed roller rockers - the needles can fall into the sump then get sucked up into the oil pump & jam it.

Yes, and Scorpion was AWESOME about it, I just emailed them my situation, they got back to me first thing monday morning, asked for an address, and a pic of the rocker in question, and shipped me a new one 2 day express. Should be here today. I took the other one apart and cannot see any bad needles, but after reassembly, I can still feel it, must be a flat needle or something. Either way I don't blame them, S#%t happens every once in a while!!!:D

Good result,there are more than a few Australian retailer that need to learn about real customer service like this. At least there is no guessing around that rocker
That's awsome of Scorpion, got to be extremely happy with that outcome. As Luke said, just about all the retailers here in Australia could learn something by this, instead of their usual, sold thousands of them like that and never had a problem, or sometimes it's like, it's your fault for buying our product and that's why it failed, so tuff shit. It's for these reasons why I chose to buy products where I can from the U.S, because over here the customer service is poor to pathetic most times, if there's a problem, see what's been previously listed about Australian retailers, the price, I can usually buy stuff from over there and save money, not a couple of dollars, but usually substantial amounts and finally, I can usually get my parts from the U.S quicker than what I can get them from suppliers over here. I would really love to support Australian businesses, but with years of dealing with them and the crap you go through and especially if there's a problem, no thanks, let alone the mark up on parts here. I could give many many examples of dramas and price rorts, but there's not that many hours in the day.

Back