71 Boss 351 NHRA clone

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill diehl

Reaction score
My Car
71 mustang
start here

1973 mustang 2.jpg

mustang005_zps2ae338f5.jpg

IMG_0143.jpgsandblasting

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0150.jpgAfter much thought I am going to build new torqueboxes, leafspring mounts out of 4130 material

IMG_0082.jpgXE block

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0149.jpg

351 intake cut bowl.jpg

NHRA Stock rules dictate no grinding and ports must hold factory spec volume. We installed .375 deep seats with a bowl cut and .500 bronze guides. with the proper valve job these heads will flow 300-325 cfm at .502 (the max lift allowed)

nothing else comes close

The dogbone lifter plate in the other earlier pic is to mock up for the custom made 42/46 lifter phasing. this allows the geometry to be proper for the Cleveland head to operate at extreme rpm.

No I can't use dogbone roller lifters, I am restricted to flat tappets, so we have tool steel dlc coated light lifters for the project

Mmmmm.... XE block = hen's tooth.

Sweet ::thumb::

IMG_0154.jpgMock up floor (not correct) but sure is pretty than rust, Going to see how I can get the SFI 25.5B spec chassis (for future HP) in, around or under without cutting everything up and making big mess

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0157.jpgI am not happy how the new cowl fits existing firewall (I like the cowl) but the 40+ year old firewall seen better days.....I guess I will have to pony up for a new dynacorn firewall now

Mmmmm.... XE block = hen's tooth.

Sweet ::thumb::
like finding a needle in a haystack..

photo 6.JPG

lots of work there but it will be nice to see anther 71-73 t the drag track

Thanks Guys......every piece on the car will be tig welded together, I want it to be a "one of a kind". no spot weld and no mig welds

Where did u get the full floor? Dynacorn? My floor is rusty so I might go full like you did. Looks good!
That is a 65 thru 70 floor...not factory correct, but it does look better than rust or a patchjob. The only "problem" is half of the front ribs (under your feet) are on top of the front floor supports. In my case I removed the floor supports as I will be using 1-5/8x .083 round moly for a "frame" under the floor.

Dynacorn is supposed to be out with the 71-73 1-piece floors soon

Also, I do prefer the 1 piece floor, when its all said and done and people look under it when they checking out your work you will be pleased with there comments.

IMG_0162.jpgGot this from CJ

IMG_0165.jpg

They make the engine cross member now..?!?! Sweet! Nice job on the car. Taking notes for mine.
yes they do, just came out maybe month or so ago.

Mine was all beat up as is the strut rod crossmember too, from the prior owner.....my original plan was to build another crossmember and ad clearance for the pan, but NHRA stock rules dictate stock pan....then dyncorn came out with this and the rest is history....even though its going to be a drag car I want it to be like a "show" car as correct as possible.

IMG_0191.jpgIMG_0192.jpg1 more day of blasting should do it...I am to old and getting tired of rolling around on the concrete eating sand...but, got to do it right

Very nice Bill. Will this be a competitive stocker? I've been working as a crew member on a friends 72 E/S 351c H.O. Mustang for a few years now.
yes, we will have very good power. I will bring it out in C/S to start with. I have an approval for the 25.5B frame/cage for future HP upgrades, but I am still working on a manifold, they shot down the BT because of the notch in the plenum.

I have no interest in bracket racing, (which is basically what S/SS is) this is being done for one thing and one thing only...to set records and prove a point, after I visit the barn a few times and hurt some feelings we will pull the motor and put the big power in it..LOL

Back