Dash hole? What is this?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jace73

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
Can anyone tell me what goes in this hole? Could it be a rear defogger. Current rear window is not.

IMG_20150309_072923.jpg

parking brake light, conv top switch, defog switch, ?

On my car it is the parking brake light.

Pet peeve: It is not an EMERGENCY brake, it is a PARKING brake.

Jam down on this pedal while driving and you will certainly have an emergency!

When I sold cars, I would have old people all the time ask about "automatic windows" or "automatic steering" when they really meant "power" instead of "automatic".

Can anyone tell me what goes in this hole? Could it be a rear defogger. Current rear window is not.
Here are a couple pics of dash with rear window defogger in a 72 Mach 1 T-5. one through the back glass showing the heat strips.

The brake warning light is the little black round thing with the little red center that is a light. The defroster switch goes in the next hole over to the right.

David

So based on your pictures and the ones that I took I do not think it is for defroster. It is not in the right position left to right.

More rain here for the next week never going to dry up.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish I had better pictures, but here's mine which was loaded up with everything. The holes on the lower panel close to the door, Left to Right:

• Defroster "On" indicator
  • Defroster switch
  • "Park" indicator light
  • Light switch

168368_199098623434397_8273163_n.jpg

182032_199098566767736_6347038_n.jpg

Here's someone else's with the switches in the holes. The small knob between the "Park" light and Light switch is for the fresh air vent (which mine no longer has).

ford-t-5-4.jpg

It also looks like the exact location of the "Park" light was subjective to whomever was running the punch that day, since the opening on my dash seems to be closer to the Light switch, than in the car below (which appears to be closer to the Defroster switch). :huh:

When I sold cars, cI would have old people all the time ask about "automatic windows" or "automatic steering" when they really meant "power" instead of "automatic".
How about this one, did you ever hear an old person back in the day refer to the accelerator/gas pedal as the "foot feet"?

When I sold cars, cI would have old people all the time ask about "automatic windows" or "automatic steering" when they really meant "power" instead of "automatic".
How about this one, did you ever hear an old person back in the day refer to the accelerator/gas pedal as the "foot feet"?
Not THAT old, but it was called a "FOOT FEED"

Not THAT old, but it was called a "FOOT FEED"
OK, well I was just a kid when I use to hear that so I must have misunderstood. It still seems like an odd term for the gas pedal.

I also remember the floor mounted starter button on my Dad's old 50's panel wagon.

Not to change the subject but I remember a friends Jeep CJ2A Circa 1946 had a floor starter button and a vacuum operated windshield wiper on the drivers side and a hand operated wiper on the passengers side. it was Army surplus and very cool. The gear box would make such a winning sound that dogs would chase (and sometimes catch ) us.

My '71 Mach 1 has a small red light right there that says "Belts", which illuminates for like ten seconds after you start the car, then goes off.  Maybe that's what your car had?  My light socket and bulb are still there, still working,  but at sometime, ( I'm not sure when or how ), the silver round bezel broke off. I found the red lens pieces broken on the floor and carefully glued them back in one piece and saved them, but the bezel disappeared overnight. I'd LOVE to find another correct round "belts" indicator in a wrecking yard but no luck thus far. It's just one of those little things not important enough to re-produce. I believe the "belts" warning light moved to over the glove box door in '73, and was a whole different bezel in size and shape. Anyone wanting to sell the small round one, PLEASE send me a Notification, PM, Message, etc.

Hey I used mine on my 65 vert for emergency. They only have single piston in master cylinder so when it goes zero brakes. I came around a curve just after leaving home, school bus stopped, going to work in 65 mustang vert with hot cup of coffee in my right hand. I threw the coffee into the floor at wife's feet grabbed the shifter and put in first gear, 4 speed, and grabbed the emergency brake and jerked it up. It save us just barely.

I use mine on my F-150 on steep hills when ice on road. Apply emergency brake lightly and never touch the pedal.

Back