top not lined up right

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steves71ragtop

Reaction score
My Car
71 convertible all stock 302 auto
Hi everyone. Hope someone can help me, I have a 71 convertible that was in a garage caved in under snow load, the top and frame were destroyed.the person i bought the car from replaced the frame and straighten the windshield post. The frame seams to sit to far up on the windshield so the pins don't sit in the pockets. can i shim the frame mounts or does anyone know the measurements for the windshield to be sure it is sitting at the right angle. any help would be appreciated thanks steve

I'm not sure I get what you mean. Do you mean the top sits too far forward on the frame or does it seem like the hooks are too long? The length of the hooks can be adjusted by screwing them in or out.

Sorry, just a wild guess. Do you have a picture of the problem?

I could measure my car but I can't guarantee that it is correct either with all the hits it must have taken in its previous life.

I'm not sure I get what you mean. Do you mean the top sits too far forward on the frame or does it seem like the hooks are too long? The length of the hooks can be adjusted by screwing them in or out.

Sorry, just a wild guess. Do you have a picture of the problem?

I could measure my car but I can't guarantee that it is correct either with all the hits it must have taken in its previous life.
thanks for the response. the top frame sits on top of the windshield frame on the passenger side so the alinement pin does not hit the pocket.the drivers side lines up.didn't know if there was a measurement from the top of windshield frame to quarter panel edge that would give me an idea if the windshield is at the right angle.

Couple thoughts...

Since the one side lines up and the pin goes in couldn't you use that measurement as a guide for the other side to see how far it's off?

Another idea is to purchase the Body Assembly manual which may help you figure out.

Maybe you could have another convertible owner take a measurement on their car.

Good Luck

If the snow bent the windshield frame it probably also bent the frame itself. I would check with you local frame shop maybe ask you Ford dealer who they recommend. They should have the equipment to measure it accurately and pull it anywhere it needs it. I have a 72 wrapped up right now in the driveway but I do not know that it is right. I have a 73 with low miles and no rust so I feel it is pretty good as far as dimensions. I am going to be away for 3 weeks and will not be able to get you any dimensions right now. These cars bend easily any of the older cars do. My local frame guy is always having to pull the highway patrol cars because of them crossing the median and twisting the bodies. That is a new car with all the much stronger steel. That snow sucks for sure ours is finally gone but rain now.

David

Back