Give it the boot?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
I just think the car looks so much better when the boot is on. It cleans up the lines totally.

Do you boot? Do you sometimes boot? Do you never boot?

Do you agree?

This is the parade cover we're talking here is it not?

I would use mine, if i could get the dam thing on. I bought a repro one a couple of years ago, and its way too small to fit correctly. Takes about half an hour to fit it up properly. The sun has helped a bit, but hasn't totally solved the fitting problem i'm afraid.

Greg.:)

I prefer the look with the cover on but I hardly ever use it for two reasons:

First, it's really hard to put on and it takes at least 10 minutes and lots of colorful metaphors before it's on.

Second, I sometimes put the top down and back up up to 3 or 4 times a day, depending on weather conditions or whether I'm going on a freeway and such.

Sometimes it's warm enough to drive with the top down but if I go on a freeway and go at 90-100 mph it gets too windy and cold so I put the top up for that stretch and put it down again after I'm back on normal roads. It's just not practical to use it on a daily driver.

Like I said, I prefer the look with the top boot on but I only put it on about 2 or 3 times over the last 14 years, so I guess that said it all. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have an aftermarket boot and have 'perfected' installation so it only takes about 5 minutes.

I attach the front first and align it center using the rear seat as reference. I then do the three snaps.

Then I start on the hard part. Center at the rear I start and complete one side. My aftermarket boot has plastic tabs. I use one hand to make sure they tuck under the trim as I go and the other hand to slide it into place. I then repeat on the other side.

It has to be warm out. I no longer try putting the boot on when it is cold.

I always Boot, I like the look much better, it gives it a finished look.

I have the original boot, which taked 2-3 min to install, and I also have an aftermarket boot which i bought about 10 yrs ago, which fits perfictly, takes the same 2-3 min to install.

I always keep it snapped, and the clip along the seat is always connected, I just have to put the top down, and connect the surroundings to the moulding.

I even have a 'boot'/parade cover for my Jeep's soft top. Tops just look so "Bleh" when they're down without 'em... kinda like a trip to the Loo without wiping. rofl

That being said, they're not very practical for daily driving. I usually never drive my Jeep with the top down on days I suspect might have weather issues... it's also too much of a PITA to carry the doors along as well. So, it's either hard top and doors on, or check the weather when the top and doors are off. The soft top is more of an accessory anymore. ;)

I know, I know - apples and oranges. Just trying to show some solidarity, as a guy who would love to also have a 'vert after seeing so many excellent specimens here. :D

We always keep the boot on the Cougar. It is a repop but thanks to the AZ sun it fits just fine

Nice thread title. I usually use the boot on the 65. For several years now I can't find the boot for the 05. TBD for the 73 but I imagine I'll go bootless except for special times when I want the car to look extra cool.

Prefer the "finished" look of having boot on. Don't have a 1,2,3 vert but did own a 87 GT conv that had an aftermarket boot since the original was missing. Took two people and some very "colorful" language to install. So was not very practical as a daily driver where the top might be raised or lowered several times. Still waiting for a rich relative to leave me some $$$ so I can find a nice 1,2,3 vert to add to my Mach 1 stable!

I don't boot due to the hassle. When I park the car overnight in the garage I always put the top up so it stays stretched tight. I replaced it last year and someone recommended doing that to make sure all the wrinkles etc stay out. Any thoughts on that?

It is common practice amongst classic convertible owners to keep the tops up whenever the car is not being used to keep it from wrinkling.

Especially in the high dollar euro car market ( vintage Jaguars, Ferraris, Rolls Royce etc) nobody will leave their tops down over night.

If only a little moisture gets caught in your top and you keep it down for a long time you may ruin it. It will mold and stick together. This is of course worst case scenario.

With the new top I never leave it down over night. The old top I did leave down and it wasn't kind to it. Put the top up if you are going to park it for more than a few hours.

We know some folks that do concourse restorations on tri five convertibles and they never put the tops down. They leave it to the buyer to decide whether they want to wrinkle the top by putting it down but most never do. I understand why they do this but what is the point of having a convertible if you can't put the top down?

Back