Hard to find Parts List

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only in my head and that keeps changing as more and more repro parts become available. I really don't know or haven't seen anything in print but that would be a cool idea for us swap meet shoppers.

No list I have seen.

There ARE a few threads where folks have reviewed repro offerings. We might want to use that info to build a good list of the repos as they continue to be manufactured.

Ray

I am not sure how hard it would be to create this list and I am by know means and expert. First thing that came to mind for me was seats. We were missing the drivers seat. I looked everywhere online and in catalogs and didn't see that there was a repro. So I am thinking there is not one. We went to the junkyard and found a set of seats out of a 71. At that time we didn't realize that the lever on the back of the 71 is different than the 73, but for now we will make do.

Yes - seat frames for sure - the rest of the seat parts are available. And don't feel bad - I have my original '71 passenger seat and a driver seat from a '73 in mine... and I don't even care. ;) :D

However, I would love to know if it's possible to put the TMI Products '71-'73 upholstery onto a later-model seat frame (one with 'reclining options,' specifically. I can't help but wonder how well (or even if) the Sport Seat upholstery would fit onto, say, some '88-'89 high back Mustang GT seat frames.

If so, I would literally pull my restored seats out and replace them ASAP.

Something else that's not reproduced or even offered as aftermarket restomod pieces: steering columns. I would kill for a Flaming River or Ididit tilt column for our year models.

Hey Ray, I don't think this is the first time we've had this topic come up - let's put our heads together and see if we can't come up with some kind of format to list these items.

Meanwhile, let's use this thread to list the things we know aren't repro'd.

Great idea. Lots of cosmetic stuff that is available on other Mustangs but not ours. These are a couple of items I would like to see reproduced.

How about the chrome trim for the Fold Down Seat option.

Dash lights from the Convenience Option: BELTS and PARK

Hey Eric,

I have your 71 drivers seat and you have my 73 drivers seat.
LOL - well... I recovered with the Sport Seats, so they're not actually stock seats anymore. ;)

How it went down was my friend Auron73Mach1 had the same seats in his '73 Mach 1. My driver seat was literally toast, but passenger seat OK - his, just the opposite. He pulled his seats and went with some Sparcos (or similar) and hooked me up with his old seats. I picked the best 2 of the lot to restore, kept the original driver seat for the paint shop visit and tossed it afterward - the passenger seat from the '73 was just totally FUBAR'd, so it got tossed a long time ago.

From my perspective (electrical stuff):

(1) The three pin door jamb connector at the driver's side - no repros out there for 70-73 Fords/Lincolns/Mercurys

(2) 71-73 tail-light harnesses - no repros

(2a) At least someone should quality reproduce the tail-lamp sockets --- the NAPA ones aren't terribly good.

(3) the 12 pin tach dash cluster connector 71-73 no repros

(4) quality (I mean reliable and quality) flexible circuit cards for the dash

(5) relays for the various warning lamps

I started a word document as people commented today. I am by no means an expert, but am willing to compile and send to someone if they want to post once it gets semi completed. For me as a newbie is would be helpful to know the parts I need to find that I can't find in a catalog.

Jeff,

I'd recommend using Excel (if you have it) or even Access (if you have it, along with the skills). The spreadsheet layout will be a lot more helpful in adding columns and/or keeping the individual items and vendors straight and updated. Setting up an Access database could be even more functional and possibly a little simpler to use, but I don't have the Access skills to do something like that.

This is how I kept everything straight as my 4.5 year project progressed.

Mustang Needs.xlsx

I basically divided things up into categories and part title, the quantity of each part needed, and had the frequent vendors listed with their own columns for price and part numbers. Once I figured out there was a part I needed, I'd enter it and the quantity, then go "shopping" on each of the vendor sites, filling in the part number and price per unit. The "Best Price" column is nothing but formula cells that compare the prices between the vendors and displays the lowest price. "Total Cost" for each part is computed based on "Best Price" and "Qty" cells. Then "Total Cost" for the parts in each category is computed simply adding the "Total Cost" column entries for each section. Overall Total Cost adds up the category Total Cost cells.

I came up with this at work one day (I use Excel at work quite a bit, actually) and tweaked it some more at home to display more things as required (projected total costs, parts received and deducted from projected total costs, etc.)... this is just a snapshot of some of the things I was shopping for on a slow day around Christmas time 2013.

Unfortunately, I hadn't bothered to factor in shipping costs or sales tax, so I don't have my absolute total costs down to the penny or anything. But this was useful in projecting costs and keeping pieces & parts ordered separate from things I still needed to get.

Hope this helps someone out.

Attachments

• Mustang Needs.xlsx
    21.6 KB · Views: 22
Jeff,

I'd recommend using Excel (if you have it) or even Access (if you have it, along with the skills). The spreadsheet layout will be a lot more helpful in adding columns and/or keeping the individual items and vendors straight and updated. Setting up an Access database could be even more functional and possibly a little simpler to use, but I don't have the Access skills to do something like that.

This is how I kept everything straight as my 4.5 year project progressed.

I basically divided things up into categories and part title, the quantity of each part needed, and had the frequent vendors listed with their own columns for price and part numbers. Once I figured out there was a part I needed, I'd enter it and the quantity, then go "shopping" on each of the vendor sites, filling in the part number and price per unit. The "Best Price" column is nothing but formula cells that compare the prices between the vendors and displays the lowest price. "Total Cost" for each part is computed based on "Best Price" and "Qty" cells. Then "Total Cost" for the parts in each category is computed simply adding the "Total Cost" column entries for each section. Overall Total Cost adds up the category Total Cost cells.

I came up with this at work one day (I use Excel at work quite a bit, actually) and tweaked it some more at home to display more things as required (projected total costs, parts received and deducted from projected total costs, etc.)... this is just a snapshot of some of the things I was shopping for on a slow day around Christmas time 2013.

Unfortunately, I hadn't bothered to factor in shipping costs or sales tax, so I don't have my absolute total costs down to the penny or anything. But this was useful in projecting costs and keeping pieces & parts ordered separate from things I still needed to get.

Hope this helps someone out.
I would only add Ford part numbers and vendor part numbers, and of course vendors (maybe phone numbers to vendor).....those who provide well will benefit those who don't ....well lets just say "it's just business"

example:

part ford part xxx239 vender part number 123 vender phone number location

(for multiple parts of the same with different vendors could have 20 choices. It would be THE RESPONSIBILITY of the person adding to remove if it sold out) but the spreadsheet would work best.

there is ONE ad I'll suggest. It's easy to use and everybody can add to it and even copy it for home use. It can be like a PDF or it can have edit capability as in everybody can make changes or additions this would prevent one person from doing all the work except everyone would have to comply with submission protocol as, in put the part in the right category. This will be easy all we have to do is use a current part book from Don or any Mustang catalog, since that is what we are use to, set it up to follow a catalog then it is easy for us to follow. Could be a lot of fun and it WOULD create a hell of a comprehensive list. The OTHER cool benefit is what if WE wanted to SELL a part? We would then be the vendor and our phone number. I would look forward to all the rare ford part numbers that can be add over time giving a comprehensive part list for our cars. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt a document listed within past 6 months of a LOT of original Ford part numbers??? find that list and we start with that.

this one is free:

http://www.google.com/sheets/about/

its a document website. we all have the site we all have the password, we enter the site scroll through the excel to locate a part OR to add a part. the site will note who was the last author to add or change a part on the document. you can even see another active member adding or removing a part real time.

Dana,

I didn't build the spreadsheet specifically for this topic - I actually used that for my own car over the years to keep my stuff straight. I just posted it up as an example of how Excel would be easier for something like this than a Word document. The columns can all be modified to suit specific needs without being restricted to the embedded tables in Word.

If someone can use it, feel free to pull a copy and make it yours.

Your idea of only posting Ford P/Ns is both good and bad at the same time. Of course, you'd want the Ford P/Ns posted for all parts... but if there are repop parts available, you'd want to include the vendor(s) and their P/N(s) for fast searches.

Having the prices listed would also give an idea of how much you're going to spend... but that would require lots of maintenance of the spreadsheet, as prices change periodically. I don't know that "ball park" figures would be all that helpful, either... again, because prices tend to change and would require maintenance of the spreadsheet as well.

Vendor phone numbers could be helpful... if they don't have websites. Having the links to the vendors (along with their contact information) would be helpful somewhere on the spreadsheet... but hot linking individual pieces/parts to their stuff online would also required a lot of spreadsheet maintenance, as sometimes the vendors update their websites which would only leave us with a bunch of broken links. That's why you'd have their P/N - when you go to their website, you can plug-in their P/N in the site search field and it'll go right to it.

Calling them on the phone is SO '90s - point -n- click, brutha. rofl

Since that spreadsheet you mentioned is online, I'm wondering if there is a plug-in available for the forums site we could use that's either similar or could possible links directly to it a separate location as necessary.

your idea of only posting Ford P/Ns is both good and bad at the same time. Of course, you'd want the Ford P/Ns posted for all parts... but if there are repop parts available, you'd want to include the vendor(s) and their P/N(s) for fast searches.

Vendor phone numbers could be helpful... if they don't have websites. Having the links to the vendors (along with their contact information) would be helpful somewhere on the spreadsheet... but hot linking individual pieces/parts to their stuff online would also required a lot of spreadsheet maintenance, as sometimes the vendors update their websites which would only leave us with a bunch of broken links. That's why you'd have their P/N - when you go to their website, you can plug-in their P/N in the site search field and it'll go right to it.

Ford p/n ?hmmmm I thought I add that into my suggestions? :huh:

Wahhhhh TTT IF said salvage yard had a part or two with no website???? :D if you didnt have a place for a phone number SOMEBODY would surely complain..... ::tease:: personally the column should be titled site/phone. Now let me explain why. curious souls such as myself are not always looking in the obvious places, so a phone number could be in the same column as a site if a site was not established.

Prices... people need to UNDERSTAND its just people trying to be helpful and IF they get all jacked up because the price was not absolutely correct you can feel free to assign ME as the forum compliant department. I'll have my assistant "Helen" handle this free of charge. So anybody complaining on the forum about a mistake brought forth by this very well intended document can go to Helen Wait, my assistant.

I think your xls works great! all you have to do now is use a shared site. Your format is a great start.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought you had suggested only Ford P/Ns... sorry - I guess I read it wrong.

One possible issue I see with posting up salvage yards or private sellers that might have one or two for sale is someone will constantly need to follow-up with them to insure they haven't sold out of their stock. For that matter, citing the source as "check on ebay" would be pretty much about just as helpful.

Keeping it to vendors or sources that have a regular supply (keyword, "regular") whether it's one, two, or a dozen at a time will keep the maintenance low.

These things sound like great ideas starting out, but eventually people lose their enthusiasm in keeping them updated. Then we [hypothetically] wind up with people digging it up from the past thinking Vendor X or Salvage Yard Y still has the items, after they've both been out of business a few years. Expecting people to police themselves and their entries is so cute ;) Usually what happens is once someone finds the thing they need, they move on to something else. In some cases, once people complete/sell/give up on/ etc. their projects, they also move on to something else and leave this site behind.

Keeping it simple, and limiting to sources with a 'regular' supply is my recommendation.

Back