Reproduction Parts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Guess I'll jump right in.

The main issue I see with reproduction (repro) stuff - the manufacturers want a return on their investment. So they build to the quality and price point they know will sell. And they want to sell many, not just a few.

For the most part, restorers are also wanting the best deal on repo parts = seek lowest price. This causes the pressure to be placed on the manufacturers to build their quality of product to not exceed that lower price point. Supply/demand.

Unfortunately it usually makes for an inferior replacement.

I'm sure there might be some exceptions, but thought I'd get others' thoughts.

Ray

Ray you have very valid points and as someone who works in the manufacturing segment of society today your points are true for all manufacturing whether it's reproducing classic Mustang parts or any other item made today. Hence the reason so much of our goods in this country are being produced in places like China and Mexico and Pakistan. I truly feel this country needs to have a grass roots movement to buying goods only made here by Americans. With that said the reproduction of classic Mustang parts is a huge part of the Hobby and we would be lost without it. When I first started into this hobby in the late 70s I had a difficult time finding any parts except directly from Obsolete Ford parts dealers and NOS always cost's more. My pockets maybe Deep but their empty so I spent my weekends going to swap meets and digging around bone yards looking for treasure's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was not happy with a lot of the repro parts and even used the original ones instead of the repros even though I had purchased them. I later would buy only Ford Licensed parts or used what I had or found suitable used pieces. This was my first complete rebuild that I did and learned many lessons for my future builds.

I was not happy with a lot of the repro parts and even used the original ones instead of the repros even though I had purchased them. I later would buy only Ford Licensed parts or used what I had or found suitable used pieces. This was my first complete rebuild that I did and learned many lessons for my future builds.
I have also learned my lesson on buying the cheaper priced part, I now try to buy NOS parts on Ebay, or Ford Licenced parts.

or if I have to buy unknown parts, I'll ask the seller (OMS) or take a ride to Mustangs unlimited (about 1.5 hrs away) and physicly check out the part, and see if its worth the money or wait.

I to worked in the manufacturing and tooling industry. In fact my last year I worked 2014 I was the engineering manager at a tool shop in the hatted China. I think the repo parts manufacturers never go to China or Taiwan to look at their tooling while they build it. The Chinese are much better equipped to build tooling than the U.S.. I hate to say that but they are. We had rows of CNC mills I think over 50 some up to 4.5 meters. We had over 35 wire EDM machines. Everything was brand new not a pile of junk like most people picture China.

To do a repo of a part all you need is a good original that fits correctly. It would be great to have the original prints but I doubt that Ford would hand them out. If I were going to tool say a full floor pan from dash to trunk I would go with a soft draw die and laser trim the outside and holes. That means that all you need is one stamping tool the draw, a laser holding fixture, maybe a flange die and a check fixture. I could see tooling that in probably 6 to 8 weeks in China. They do not do kirksite or zinc tooling in China or you could do it even faster. The best way to get a dimensionally correct floor would be to laser scan one in a car. You would have to clean up the areas with other parts on the computer.

I have often wondered why Mustang clubs like this one did not do repo parts themselves. Each member kick in a certain amount of money and they get their money back when the parts are ran and sold and they get their parts for cost.

Yes we can bad mouth China or Taiwan for doing sorry work but if you just send them a loose part that flops around to copy they have no idea in what position it needs to be. Could you see how a fender would not fit if they did not have a print or CAD model to go by. You ship a loose fender around the world and they don't have any idea what a Mustang even looks like. It is not legal to ship an antique car to China I checked. How do you set it up to measure it or scan it without a check fixture or it on a car? Anyone should be able to copy a gas cap or door handle it is the sheet metal that is difficult and the plastic is just as bad to not know where it should be.

Remember most of the tooling for your new cars came from China.

It is so sad to see the U.S.A. not keep up but our government and big corporations are to blame. Countries like Japan put 100% import duties on our cars going there but the U.S. just opened our arms and let them ship what they wanted with little duty to be fair. That fat cat buyer in the U.S. going offshore and saving a nickel and getting big bonus checks when he takes thousands of jobs away. Then nobody has the money to buy his cheap stuff that he overprices.

I went to China and brought back their money the opposite of the big companies.

Well I vented some but it is difficult to make a good part if you don't have good information up front.

David

So far I have had much better luck with repro stuff by calling Don at OMS (ahead of time) and getting his take on the repro part(s). Issues like proper fit and correct finish are addressed.

If they are original tooling and/or I can live with the differences between OEM and repro as he explains, I will make the purchase from him. "Not perfect but very close" is good enough for me - usually.

I would hate that anyone would use his expertise and then buy from another vendor. I'll happily pay a couple of bucks extra to gain his trust and learn from his knowledge. If Don doesn't have it - for used I usually would go to Mike at MotorCity Mustang. He's on here as well as an ebay store. Two great vendors in my experience.

Ray

I to worked in the manufacturing and tooling industry. In fact my last year I worked 2014 I was the engineering manager at a tool shop in the hatted China. I think the repo parts manufacturers never go to China or Taiwan to look at their tooling while they build it. The Chinese are much better equipped to build tooling than the U.S.. I hate to say that but they are. We had rows of CNC mills I think over 50 some up to 4.5 meters. We had over 35 wire EDM machines. Everything was brand new not a pile of junk like most people picture China.

To do a repo of a part all you need is a good original that fits correctly. It would be great to have the original prints but I doubt that Ford would hand them out. If I were going to tool say a full floor pan from dash to trunk I would go with a soft draw die and laser trim the outside and holes. That means that all you need is one stamping tool the draw, a laser holding fixture, maybe a flange die and a check fixture. I could see tooling that in probably 6 to 8 weeks in China. They do not do kirksite or zinc tooling in China or you could do it even faster. The best way to get a dimensionally correct floor would be to laser scan one in a car. You would have to clean up the areas with other parts on the computer.

I have often wondered why Mustang clubs like this one did not do repo parts themselves. Each member kick in a certain amount of money and they get their money back when the parts are ran and sold and they get their parts for cost.

Yes we can bad mouth China or Taiwan for doing sorry work but if you just send them a loose part that flops around to copy they have no idea in what position it needs to be. Could you see how a fender would not fit if they did not have a print or CAD model to go by. You ship a loose fender around the world and they don't have any idea what a Mustang even looks like. It is not legal to ship an antique car to China I checked. How do you set it up to measure it or scan it without a check fixture or it on a car? Anyone should be able to copy a gas cap or door handle it is the sheet metal that is difficult and the plastic is just as bad to not know where it should be.

Remember most of the tooling for your new cars came from China.

It is so sad to see the U.S.A. not keep up but our government and big corporations are to blame. Countries like Japan put 100% import duties on our cars going there but the U.S. just opened our arms and let them ship what they wanted with little duty to be fair. That fat cat buyer in the U.S. going offshore and saving a nickel and getting big bonus checks when he takes thousands of jobs away. Then nobody has the money to buy his cheap stuff that he overprices.

I went to China and brought back their money the opposite of the big companies.

Well I vented some but it is difficult to make a good part if you don't have good information up front.

David
Dynacorn has several 60-72 cars in Taiwan

One is a 72 Mustang convertible

In my case, i feel as though i've been ripped off pretty badly, but at the end of the day i only have myself to blame.

I'll try and keep my story short to make my point. Way back when i was in my twenties,around 1972, i bought a 1962 Dodge Dart/ Phoenix sedan and did it up to a mild street custom standard. I found it very hard to get body, interior, and mechanical parts for this car. I owned the car from 1972 to 1982, and ended up selling it, because getting parts was so much a problem, i lost interest, and gave up in disgust.

Jump ahead to 2011, when my work buddies tried to get me back into owning another American car. I said no because of all my hassles in the past with getting parts. They convinced me that nowadays, you can get just about any part for Chevs an Ford Mustangs, and parts now aren't a problem anymore. So when i fell in love with my '73 Mustang convertible in 2011, i bought it with out doing enough research on parts availability for the 123 Mustangs, compared to parts available for the '65 to '70 crowd.

Here's my point. If i had of known about how certain parts for the 123's can't be gotten, and are still very hard to get, before i bought my '73, i would have not ended up buying it because of all the hassle of trying to get various parts. I did not do enough research, and i am now paying the price badly. That was my mistake, and i only have myself to blame.

Don't get me wrong, i still love my '73 Vert and Mach 1 very much, but the whole parts scene for the 123's, is one big frustrating, boring drag to me that i really don't need in my life. Lastly, having bought many repro parts for both cars, it is sad to see that the quality is NOT in a lot of the reproductions. I have been a victim of this rubbish many times so far, and have had to really try hard to get around the crap quality of the parts and the problems that they bring on.

Oh well, i guess we all have to live and learn, don't we.:-/

Greg.:(

I hate bad quality parts you spend heaps of time trying to make them serviceable. To this point I would much sooner recondition the stock item or just leave a slightly down original part, that's ok if you can live with it as a driver car or your not doing a full on restoration. I have been down the road before with interiors (not on mustangs) the stock parts looks a little down so you buy a new bit fiddle about with it and when it is finally ok you sit back then realise every other part close by now looks much worse than you thought it was so you replace those and it just snow balls, sometimes your left with no other option than to buy items you know will not be great just to keep it all looking right. Oh well 1 of the many facets of owning and enjoying old cars the frustrations are quickly forgot as soon as you go for a drive.

Hi as Greg said that the repo is not always the best! I'm Like him had to be sad and bind a costly experience :-( Mostly because of that I Living in a Country where you have to pay a lot of taxes of the import part's... Then if it doesn't fit ore isn't the right parts have to send it back.. That's sucks and I have learned to look closely before buying.... But as Luke said that you forget about it when you start it up and drive you have a BIG SMILE ON YOUR FACE AND YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE *-:) \m/ Regards Lars DK73

Back