I thought all non cutout 71-73 rear valances were the same??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q Code Convertible
Hi guys,

Was getting ready to prep one of these valances and noticed they are different. The gold is from a 72 and the brown from a 73. The 73 has the license plate bracket welded to the valance whereas the 72 licence plate bolts straight to the valance. Am I correct that they came different from the factory for these years?

Pretty sure the 73 is original but not sure on 72...

o8bb81.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff

If I remember correctly mine was welded in too. If you need me to verify I can but won't be able to check till the weekend. I put my non cutout valence in storage so it's not readily assessable right now. Let me know.

-john

Hi guys,

Was getting ready to prep one of these valances and noticed they are different. The gold is from a 72 and the brown from a 73. The 73 has the license plate bracket welded to the valance whereas the 72 licence plate bolts straight to the valance. Am I correct that they came different from the factory for these years?

Pretty sure the 73 is original but not sure on 72...

o8bb81.jpg
I just went and looked at 72 Mach 1 with cut outs and no bracket my 73 Mach 1 without cut outs has the bracket.

David

That's normal

I'll be in the garage tomorrow and will look at mine...

I think the change was late 71 or early 72 - no proof of that just from what I have found on parts cars

I wonder if the change had anything to do with the bumper change on 73s?
I thought that too until I found the four NOS one's on ebay with 71 part numbers on them. Also, seems like they would have changed part numbers on them if this happened but haven't found anything to support that.

I wonder if the change had anything to do with the bumper change on 73s?
I thought that too until I found the four NOS one's on ebay with 71 part numbers on them. Also, seems like they would have changed part numbers on them if this happened but haven't found anything to support that.
I think the change may have went along with the elimination of the plastic shield around the light in the bumper.

71-72 REAR LICENSE LAMP SHIELD D1ZZ-13508

Came across these four NOS valances with D1 part numbers and ALL HAVE bracket...I see NONE without bracket??
Those are also later 1980's service parts by Ford (black EDP, not oxide primer), if I recall right.

Could be that someone assigned the D1 part number to the revised valance, either by mistake or on purpose (if done properly by Ford, a D2 or D3 number of the revised part would supersede the D1), or because the original design may have put the license plate at an angle that the Feds revised in '72.

-Kurt

Here is my guess:

There may have been regs relating to how far in the plate could be recessed from the bumper, or how far away it could be from the light.

The '73 bumper mounts moved the bumper away from the valance, so maybe the bracket was added to move the plate the same distance...keeping the plate's relation to the bumper/ light the same as before the '73 bumper modification.

Just a wild-ass guess...

Back