WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS--IDEA--ROTISSERIE

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
I've been looking around for a used rotisserie for the last month or so..Haven't found anything except for junk..I started designing a wood one based on 2 I saw on one of the camaro forums http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98675

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1683339

I had some discussions with another member here who also was looking for one & he turned me onto this http://www.rotokit.com/ I really like it & I'm going to buy it..My thoughts are that we could pass this unit around to the members here after each person is done.. The way I'm thinking this could work is each person would buy it from the previous person..so in essence you get a rotisserie for the cost of the wood..No big metal one to store after your done..& most of us only need this type of tool for our one time use...We could have a section on the board just for this & when the person is finished they post up "rotisserie available" What are your thoughts ?

Hey Scott... i saw the video and yes.. it is convincing... It shlould work just fine and for about 400 dollars new, it is not that investment...

I dont like to work with wood so, when something is on my mind, it is always in metal... This idea of a wood rotteserie would never come to my mind but now that i see it working, it is quite a good idea...

As you can imagine, here in Uruguay there are not rotteseries for sale at all... so, since a while ago, my father and I are building one in metal, using square section bars, and actually doing the point of rotation un ball bearings and that kind of stuff... We are half way done and i can tell you it is so overdimmesionated that we can lift a house in it!... jeje...

As funny as it is... when you build some structure without knowing what to expect, you always finish investing more money and building everything bigger and stronger than it should be...

Bottom line, even if your idea of buying this stuff with all the members there in the US. 400 dollars doesn´t seem to be a huge investment for this very usefull tool... The only thing I dont particulary like about this Rotokit Rotteserie is the fact that you cant move it arround if you need... it has no wheels that at least for me, it can be pretty useful if you need to move the car for any reason...

Let me know your choices!

Hey Scott... i saw the video and yes.. it is convincing... It shlould work just fine and for about 400 dollars new, it is not that investment...

I dont like to work with wood so, when something is on my mind, it is always in metal... This idea of a wood rotteserie would never come to my mind but now that i see it working, it is quite a good idea...

As you can imagine, here in Uruguay there are not rotteseries for sale at all... so, since a while ago, my father and I are building one in metal, using square section bars, and actually doing the point of rotation un ball bearings and that kind of stuff... We are half way done and i can tell you it is so overdimmesionated that we can lift a house in it!... jeje...

As funny as it is... when you build some structure without knowing what to expect, you always finish investing more money and building everything bigger and stronger than it should be...

Bottom line, even if your idea of buying this stuff with all the members there in the US. 400 dollars doesn´t seem to be a huge investment for this very usefull tool... The only thing I dont particulary like about this Rotokit Rotteserie is the fact that you cant move it arround if you need... it has no wheels that at least for me, it can be pretty useful if you need to move the car for any reason...

I'm going to add wheels to it..Building & designing custom decks is one of the things I do for a living..I see no problem what so ever in using wood...Try breaking a 4x 6 anywhere along a 60" span..I'm sure you noticed the dolly I made that my car was on..all wood...and all scraps the only thing I bought was the wheels

How much does wood cost though?

[/quote

Looking at it I see maybe 100.00 to 150.00...For me i have most of the wood laying around...I bet if you went to any deck building job site you could get most of it for free (scrap)

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm going to add wheels to it..Building & designing custom decks is one of the things I do for a living..I see no problem what so ever in using wood...Try breaking a 4x 6 anywhere along a 60" span..I'm sure you noticed the dolly I made that my car was on..all wood...
Actually I did and that surpriced me too.. didn´t know you worked with wood :p

Here in Uruguay working with wood is not that much cheaper than using metal... iron for instance so... i didn´t even think about the possibility of that...

But the video you linked shows not only the structure doesn´t collapse but it seems to be easy to rotate the shell once it is on the rotteserie... Maybe my fear would be in something like that... wood may not be so precise as metal when you need it to be.

But for that cheap price and noticing there is no only wood, but every movement is done with metal, it is a good affordable choice

I'm going to add wheels to it..Building & designing custom decks is one of the things I do for a living..I see no problem what so ever in using wood...Try breaking a 4x 6 anywhere along a 60" span..I'm sure you noticed the dolly I made that my car was on..all wood...and all scraps the only thing I bought was the wheels

How much does wood cost though?

[/quote

Looking at it I see maybe 100.00 to 150.00...For me i have most of the wood laying around...I bet if you went to any deck building job site you could get most of it for free (scrap)
I figured you must do something with decks when you posted that picture of when your privacy wall got blown over....very nice....I've never been happy with the stairs on my deck.

Anyway that rotisserie would be sweet!

"I've been looking around for a used rotisserie for the last month"

I made one out of wood that was much simpler. That was pre digital pic days so I will try to describe it.

We cut 2 giant half circles out of 3/4 inch plywood and sandwiched 2x4 spokes between them and bolted everything together. The diameter was 6 inches wider than max width of the 68 Torino Fastback we were doing. Made one for the front of the car and one for the rear. Fabed up some substancial metal brackets that aligned with factory bumper bolt holes in the front frame rails. Used 4x4 blocks to space it off of the rear tail panel and bolted it using the rear bumper bolt holes and long high grade bolts.

Jack up the front and bolt on the big wooden half wheel, jack up the back and bolt on the other half wheel and now the car is sitting about 2 feet off of the ground between the wooden "rollers". The trick is to mount the car low between the rollers while staying within the radius so that no part of the car sticks out enough to contact the shop floor.

To "rotisserie" your car simply grab something and lift. It works just like a giant rocking chair. It takes very little effort to roll it to a 45 degree angle and when you have it where you wanted you just put chock between the roller and the floor (chunk of 2x4).

Because this set up is bottom heavy the more vertical you got the car the harder it was to lift. I made a simple stop at the top to keep from ever rolling it completely over but never got close to needing it. By the time the body was close to being fully sidways it was just too heavy to push it the last little bit and have it fall over.

When level the car was high enough to work on the lower panels but still low enough to work the top of the quarters and roof pillar. It was also low and stable enough to get in it and work on the interior.

When on its side it was only 6 inches off of the ground so you could get to the entire floor pan plus the underside was clear with no rotisserie legs to step over or work around. To work on the roof just pull out the chock and roll it the other way.

We did the whole car inside and out, ready to paint, including the full suspension, with the car mounted between the rollers.

I still own the rights to this and was going to sell it as a kit but the market was so small and the liability was too high to make a go of it.

The last one we made the buyer sat it on some heavy rollers bolted to his shop floor so it could rotate in place. He also planned on putting a small electric motor on but it rolled so easy by hand that it was not needed.

I had hoped that it was going to make me rich but that has not happened so far.

Clear as mud?

Paul

I made one out of wood that was much simpler. That was pre digital pic days so I will try to describe it.

We cut 2 giant half circles out of 3/4 inch plywood and sandwiched 2x4 spokes between them and bolted everything together. The diameter was 6 inches wider than max width of the 68 Torino Fastback we were doing. Made one for the front of the car and one for the rear. Fabed up some substancial metal brackets that aligned with factory bumper bolt holes in the front frame rails. Used 4x4 blocks to space it off of the rear tail panel and bolted it using the rear bumper bolt holes and long high grade bolts.

Jack up the front and bolt on the big wooden half wheel, jack up the back and bolt on the other half wheel and now the car is sitting about 2 feet off of the ground between the wooden "rollers". The trick is to mount the car low between the rollers while staying within the radius so that no part of the car sticks out enough to contact the shop floor.

To "rotisserie" your car simply grab something and lift. It works just like a giant rocking chair. It takes very little effort to roll it to a 45 degree angle and when you have it where you wanted you just put chock between the roller and the floor (chunk of 2x4).

Because this set up is bottom heavy the more vertical you got the car the harder it was to lift. I made a simple stop at the top to keep from ever rolling it completely over but never got close to needing it. By the time the body was close to being fully sidways it was just too heavy to push it the last little bit and have it fall over.

When level the car was high enough to work on the lower panels but still low enough to work the top of the quarters and roof pillar. It was also low and stable enough to get in it and work on the interior.

When on its side it was only 6 inches off of the ground so you could get to the entire floor pan plus the underside was clear with no rotisserie legs to step over or work around. To work on the roof just pull out the chock and roll it the other way.

We did the whole car inside and out, ready to paint, including the full suspension, with the car mounted between the rollers.

I still own the rights to this and was going to sell it as a kit but the market was so small and the liability was too high to make a go of it.

The last one we made the buyer sat it on some heavy rollers bolted to his shop floor so it could rotate in place. He also planned on putting a small electric motor on but it rolled so easy by hand that it was not needed.

I had hoped that it was going to make me rich but that has not happened so far.

Clear as mud?

Paul
Great Idea ! But for me I need the car completely upside down so I can have full access to the interior roof panel..I want to be able to spray my rust bullet in the interior roof side structure.. load it up..Then rotate as required so gravity will allow it to weep into all the seams, nooks & cranny's. But for some one who doesn't need a full 360 degrees This is the way to go ! Thanks for posting this up !

We did the same thing that you want to do and it worked better than a standard rotisserie. You can go vertical spay your bullet (rust mort back in my day) and let it seep, then roll it back the other way and repeat. That lets it run down into the seems along the roof and side pillars. Fully upside down and it just puddled in the center of the roof. With it on its side and low to the ground you can also stand up inside the car with your feet through the window openings or if the door are off it is even easier.

It also stores flat against the wall when not in use as the wooden half circles are less than 6 inches thick.

Love your vids by the way!

- Paul

Great Idea ! But for me I need the car completely upside down so I can have full access to the interior roof panel..I want to be able to spray my rust bullet in the interior roof side structure.. load it up..Then rotate as required so gravity will allow it to weep into all the seams, nooks & cranny's. But for some one who doesn't need a full 360 degrees This is the way to go ! Thanks for posting this up !

We did the same thing that you want to do and it worked better than a standard rotisserie. You can go vertical spay your bullet (rust mort back in my day) and let it seep, then roll it back the other way and repeat. That lets it run down into the seems along the roof and side pillars. Fully upside down and it just puddled in the center of the roof. With it on its side and low to the ground you can also stand up inside the car with your feet through the window openings or if the door are off it is even easier.

It also stores flat against the wall when not in use as the wooden half circles are less than 6 inches thick.

- Paul

Hummm..:idea:

Paul could you draw a quick pic- plan with dimesions so I could build a set ? If you tell me what dimesions to get off the mustang..I will grab the numbers needed..You convinced me to try it. 4 sheets of plywood some 2x4's ..It's worth a shot..Any Idea's on how to make it mobile so I can roll it in & out of the garage when attached to the car ?

I still have the brackets and will talk pictures of them for you. We took the max width of the Torino which is at the door handles, I think it was 68 inches and then added 3 inches. This is from memory.

I have the assy manual for the 71 - 73 and will draw up some plans for the group with the right demensions.

As far as making it mobile is is so easy to take the car on and off the rollers that I would just move the car outside and set it up.

The actual floor space needed to rock the car up on its side is only a few feet. We did the Torino in a 2 car garage and discovered that we could store the car on its side and free up quite a bit of floor space for other projects.

Paul

- Paul

Hummm..:idea:

Paul could you draw a quick pic- plan with dimesions so I could build a set ? If you tell me what dimesions to get off the mustang..I will grab the numbers needed..You convinced me to try it. 4 sheets of plywood some 2x4's ..It's worth a shot..Any Idea's on how to make it mobile so I can roll it in & out of the garage when attached to the car ?

I still have the brackets and will talk pictures of them for you. We took the max width of the Torino which is at the door handles, I think it was 68 inches and then added 3 inches. This is from memory.

I have the assy manual for the 71 - 73 and will draw up some plans for the group with the right demensions.

As far as making it mobile is is so easy to take the car on and off the rollers that I would just move the car outside and set it up.

The actual floor space needed to rock the car up on its side is only a few feet. We did the Torino in a 2 car garage and discovered that we could store the car on its side and free up quite a bit of floor space for other projects.
Thanks Paul I appreciate it & I'm sure other members here will be just as appreciative.. I'm going to remove all the suspension from mine which is why I asked about the mobile thing..I already have an Idea to make some brackets with wheels so I could just jack it up, put the brackets on..roll out..remove the wheels... Again thanks so much for sharing this IT'S AN AMAZING IDEA & CONCEPT !!!!!! The more I think about it the more I like it !

:udaman:

Back