After market/ custom grill

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Augie

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Grande
1970-mustang-fastback-protourer-03.jpg

Has anyone seen an after market or made a grill for a 71-73 mustang like the one pictured above? My grill is broken and I don't feel like paying the price for a new repo grill. Might as well make it custom. I was thinking of making one from expanded metal. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being our grilles fill in the blank areas around the headlights, unless you are a master craftsman, I can't see making anything that would look decent around the headlights. And I'm a fan of the honeycomb grilles, so my 2 cents are bias. Sorry, I know that doesn't help pay for a new grille, and they are SPENDY!!

I was searching Ebay and I came across this last year. I might purchase it this year. Grill 71-72

29nfs74.jpg

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I pulled the trigger on making my own grill. Wanted to see what you guys thought! I was inspired by The General Mayhem built by the guys from the show Roadkill pictured below.

General Mayhem:

1968-dodge-charger-general-mayhem-roadkill-david-freiburger_zpsptia0bci.jpg

GM_zpspxzmt2eg.jpg

I bought some metal from the local shop and cut it at work on the sheer. Its just set in place for now in these pictures. Tomorrow I'll weld in a small piece of small diameter tube to transition between the pieces. Also, I'm hoping to incorporate the Mustang emblem from the stock grill. In the end it all will be painted black. Then I will either buy some nicer brighter headlights that are black already such as these: http://www.protuninglab.com/7dicutroprhe.html. Wanting a blacked out void look for the front. Thoughts?

IMG_2874_zpsp0rpbqzf.jpg
IMG_2875_zpsepwfy6uv.jpg

(I know theres a gap on the right side, not perfect placement in the photo, was just mocking it up.)
IMG_2877_zpsjljqr4l3.jpg

With 3D printing technology these days, I'm pretty certain you could print a complete replacement grill with OE honeycomb out of ABS with decent results. You'd need a reasonable size printer however, but the Fusion3 comes to mind. We have one in our office and it can do some big stuff.

Back