Looking for contoured piece around headlight

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Brost

Reaction score
My Car
I have been restoring my 73 Mach 1 for the past 9 years. Putting it all back together now.
I have been trying to find for a 73 Mach 1, the contoured aluminum piece surrounding the drivers side headlight. It is the big square aluminum looking thing that attaches to the grill and fits around the headlight. If you have one you would like to sell, or know where I can buy one, please let me know.

Not reproduced and rare on ebay.

In the last year I have seen only 2 complete grills with the Stainless headlight dishes included.

The first sold for $400.

The second I bought for $150.

Right after I bought the second grill set there were 2 headlight dishes listed

on ebay and they sold quickly for $195 each.

If you get a 71-2 mach 1 grill you don't need the dishes, it takes just a small

trim ring.

After I realized how valuable the the dishes are I put bondo on the phillips

screw heads to make removable difficult!

Good Luck

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Your kidding me... Man to think of how many of those I've had over the years is sicken...

I have been trying to find for a 73 Mach 1, the contoured aluminum piece surrounding the drivers side headlight. It is the big square aluminum looking thing that attaches to the grill and fits around the headlight. If you have one you would like to sell, or know where I can buy one, please let me know.
Todd I was just looking at pictures of 73 Mustangs and it looks like there are two one is blacked out except for a small strip of trim and the other is bare aluminum and shiny. I'm not sure but it looks like you want the painted one for a MACH1 correct? either way I think they can both be made to look one or the other with just a little bit of work.

Yep, 73 "headlight doors" came in one of two varieties: all stainless for standard grilles, or black/ stainless for mach 1/ sport grilles.

I am surprised this piece is not repro'd yet.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input. mrmach1 was able to get me what I was looking for.

Back