1996 Mark VIII drive train into a 1973 Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wandmbowles

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach since 1981, 1971 Boss I'm doing a restoration on, 1973 Convetible that I'M doing as a restomod, and a 2013 Shelby GT500.
So I bought a 1973 Mustang convertible that I shouldn’t have. It’s a total rust bucket and the only reason I bought it is because I’m a sucker for a sport hood, plus I have a lot a parts. I have decided to put the running gear and possible whole floor from the Lincoln Mark VIII under it. The floor width is the same; I’ll probably have to shorten it 8 to 10 inches. I dropped the engine and front suspension out of the Lincoln and I took a ruff measurement, the frame on the Mustang is the same width as the engine cradle on the Lincoln. The 4.6 4V is narrow enough to fit between the shock towers. If I can use the whole floor I’ll be able to use the Lincoln gas tank, power seats, and the Independent rear suspension will bolt wright in.

It will be a cool project. I got a few shots of the destruction of the Lincoln.

IMG_0408 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool project. Are you doing any work to the 4.6l to make some more power?

That's possible. I can't leave anything alone.

Do you mean MK VIII? The Mk VII came with a 302/ AOD, while the Mk VIII came with a 4.6/ AOD-E.

Do you mean MK VIII? The Mk VII came with a 302/ AOD, while the Mk VIII came with a 4.6/ AOD-E.

Yeah Mark VIII, I drive a VII when the weather get bad. A VII wouldn't be much of a challenge would it.

Cool project. Are you doing any work to the 4.6l to make some more power?
My son will only be 17 or 18 when he starts driving it, that will be up to him as he gets older and more experiance behind the wheel.

Back