Edelbrock 1406 and C6 behind 351C-2V

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hi folks,

My currect engine/tranny setup (in a stock 1973 Mustang Grande) is:

- 351C-2V with an Edelbrock Performer LB-351-2v manifold

- C6 tranny

- Holley 80457-2

I want to replace the carb with an Edelbrock 1406. I've been reading and reading but there are so many different stories and scenarios.

I know the carb performs fine. I also know there is an extension from Edelbrock to hook up the kickdown.

If I get the carb + kickdown-extension, am I good to go?

Anybody else who went through the exact same thing?

Thanks!

Vincent.

I also had to extend the kickdown rod a little bit to make everything work right on my car, it wasn't that hard to and can be achieved a couple of different ways. Proper kickdown action and geometry are the key.

I just welded a 1" piece from another kickdown rod I found at the juckyard in to my existing kickdown along with the edelbrock adapter and was go to go. You will like the 1406, I am using one and it makes great throttle response on my 2v cleveland.

p.s. lokar makes a kickdown cable that should just be a bolt on deal if you don't want to have to modify anything, also I didn't use the edelbrock extender so that is why I had to lenghten the rod.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Vincent,

My setup:

351C 2V, FMX Trans

Edelbrock performer EDE 2750

Edelbrock CARB EDE 1406 E-choke

Edelbrock throttle lever adapters for performer series EDE 1483

everything works very well, of course you have to set everything and adapt.

I hope this helps you a little

Greetings from "good old Germany" :D

Juergen

WP_20150307_024 A.jpg

WP_20150307_021 A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks folks. I bought the 1406 + 1483 and am going to have a garage put it in along with a tank/fuel line inspection/clean-up/repair.

Cheers!

Hello again, here's a little update :)

I picked up my car from the garage as I had much more work to do apart from replacing the carb.

Considering the carb-swap I can tell that the Edelbrock 1406 is a lot wider (fuel bowls on the side) than the Holley (fuel bowls at the front and back) which meant that the bracket holding the throttle cable needed to be extended as well and also leave room for the kickdown-rod to pass.

Picture! :

IMG_4021.jpg

In the end the new carb sits nicely and performed fine during the 30 minute drive home.

At the garage they also adjusted ignition timing which makes a big difference. Hopefully my car will start a lot better too now!

Apart from this I also had the fuel tank emptied and cleaned, rear brake shoes and cylinders replaced, front discbrakes fixed and a few other minor tweaks.

There are a few more piccies on my blog here.

Thanks for the advice given earlier! :)

V.

I just put the 1405 (which is the same thing just manual choke) on my car. They say they are pre-tuned but I just screwed in the mixture screws all the way and started over. Its working great. My C4 just let go on me and I feel the small bit of power I got from the new 4bbl system finally pushed it to its limits. I imagine C6's are much more capable.

Sweet! Nice job, Man! ::thumb::

I have a 351C-2V that's been warmed up with lots of go-faster goodies, including the Edelbrock Performer intake and 1406.

I didn't have to extend my throttle cable bracket since I went with an AOD, but I did have to klooge together a bracket for the AOD's TV Cable. I used a Mr. Gasket universal bracket that I modified for the factory TV cable assembly (my tranny and everything with it came straight out of a '89 5.0 GT).

My next phase will be replacing the 1406 with an E-Street fuel injection system - I might actually pony up for the Lokar stuff, to make things a little cleaner-looking, but so far, it all seems to work well-enough to leave well-enough alone. ;)

Thanks for sharing!

I installed a 1406 last year and it was a huge improvement over the 4300D. I was thinking about having the 4300D rebuilt but the car runs so much better now that I put that project on hold. It start much better now too.

John J

I just put the 1405 (which is the same thing just manual choke) on my car. They say they are pre-tuned but I just screwed in the mixture screws all the way and started over. Its working great. My C4 just let go on me and I feel the small bit of power I got from the new 4bbl system finally pushed it to its limits. I imagine C6's are much more capable.
That's a real bummer about your tranny Elizabeth. The C4 is a very good trans, yours may just have been worn out. I have a C6 in my Mach & it lets you know it's there. Plus it's quite heavy and is a bit of a power robber.

Just get yours rebuilt with quality parts & by a good trans shop it will be fine. (The money pit just keeps getting deeper). Good luck.:p

Stay with the C4. The C6, although very robust, will eat about +1/4 of hp delivered from the flywheel. C4's can handle 400 +hp if rebuilt properly.

This is my same project for next weekend. Got the Edelbrock 2750 and the 1406 and a new air cleaner. Should be fun.

The 1406 is a great carb, very smooth running and excellent throttle response on my 2V cleveland. Mine only required basic tuning to get it running well.

Hi

I have a question about the 1406 in your cars, Have you changed any springs or needles ? Im into tunning my 1406 at the moment. Il probably go with the Sniper Efi in a few months.

Regards Rob

One thing to check for  with the Edelbrock. My car has a 351-2 with Edelbrock 1406 and performer intake. When I bought it it was running WAY to rich - hard to start when hot like it was flooded and blew black smoke out of exhaust when hard on it, and constant gas smell. Edelbrock says this carb is designed for 6-6.5 Lbs fuel pressure. When I checked my fuel pump was putting out 8.5 lbs, basically overpowering the carb. Had to install a regulator to solve the problem. Car runs fine now. I think I have it a little on the lean side now but at least its tuneable now.

I started out of the box with a Holley electric fuel pump and Mr. Gasket fuel pressure regulator, set up to around 5.5 psi.  Mine's still running like a champ - fire right up every time.

It does hesitate ever so slightly when I start it after the engine's warm, but I'm thinking that's because the starter might be heat-soaked, being that close to the header.  It's not that big of a deal, so I haven't addressed the idea of making a heat shield, or going with a hi-torque mini-starter, or something else.

Thanks guys

I have a broadbandlambda so I will monitor it. For now its stock settings in the carb, tomorrow wíll se :)

Regards Rob

I have the 1406 in my 351. Running great at idle, but from about 1800 rpm the engine is running lean, below 1% CO. You cannot feel it while driving, tho. My garage recommend re-metering or re-jetting to prevent premature valve or head gasket failure. Edelbrock states the 1406 has been designed to be lean about 2%.

Any experience about running low?

I have the 1406 in my 351. Running great at idle, but from about 1800 rpm the engine is running lean, below 1% CO. You cannot feel it while driving, tho. My garage recommend re-metering or re-jetting to prevent premature valve or head gasket failure. Edelbrock states the 1406 has been designed to be lean about 2%.

Any experience about running low?
Not me (never checked), maybe someone else?

Back