My mustang died

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
When I pulled out of the gas station I got on it a little because traffic was heavy.

Left turn out and sure enough the car dies. A little quick thinking and I pull it into the left turn only lane. I crank the engine but it won't catch, sounds like it is dieseling a little and just no good.

Flashers on I carefully jump out (oncoming traffic) and lift the hood all the while hoping someone doesn't smack me while texting.

I can see where the connector for the distributor has come apart. (I am starting to wonder if I have a bad motor mount..)

So I plug it back in and close the hood. I look over at the gas station and there is about a half a dozen guys watching me. I yell out 'no problem, I got it' and they all kind of smile and laugh.

I get in and it fires right up. The guys started cheering and clapping.

It was a great moment.

With the top down I gave them a thumbs up and drove away.

That is embarrassing bro.

If me THAT connector will NEVER come loose again!

How about a photo of the offending connector?

I'm assuming you know how to check for a broken mount.

Similar story... my 73 died at an intersection was bad condenser with stock dizzy

that was LAST straw running GM HEI now for the 351C!

Paul

It's good that you were able to see the problem and get your car on the road again. I would think that there is enough slack at that connection so that if the engine vibrates it wouldn't pull apart. Maybe it just wasn't on tight enough and it just came loose over time.

Glad you spotted it so quickly

We were looking for you today. We were parked next to a 73 (I mean 72) vert. We spoke with four 71-73 owners this weekend and not one is on here. Steve will be bring the Mach out tomorrow but I have had enough sun

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember making a left turn and getting on it in a 67 RS Camaro back in the day. The throttle stuck wide open and I had to shut the engine off with the key.

Yep, broken motor mount that cocked the engine over to one side and held the throttle wide open. I was just glad nothing was in front of me. I use to smoke those tires around every corner back then.

That is the hard way to find out you have a broken motor mount. The easy way is put the car in drive or reverse hold the brake and give it a little gas. That old engine will look like it's trying to crawl out of there!

I had a motor mount go on my 65 Mustang and it got pretty ugly. It was a 200ci 6cyl 3 spd and the left mount went as I was shifting. The motor twisted and pulled apart the clutch linkage and bottom radiator hose came off. I had no freaking idea what happened.

Back