HELP NEEDED TICKING OR KNOCKING SOUND

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salhi_amer

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
I posted this on Facebook page but would like to post it here too.

I parked my car and went to use restroom at my friend's and his old dad was outside checking car and he turned car on and revived so high I could hear it and then he revived one where he floored down the whole pedal for almost 3 seconds, I would say RPM above 7000 and I ran to car and he turned off, I was hoping nothing would happen, as soon as I drive it I hear ticking and oil pressure needle on my gauge went down a bit.

Its a 1973 Mustang Mach 1 with 351 Cleveland 2V upgraded intake to 4V with Holley 600 CFM.

I took driver side valve cover to check push rod and rockers and they all seemed fine, I did not take off lifters. Also i took off passenger side valve covers and they all looked good as well but I did not take the passenger side rocker arms and push rods out to check them individually.

After all this happened my car is running rough and idles higher than it used to be before that guy revived it high. I think maybe it jumped off timing as well.

I am going to post a video of the sound along with pictures. Also from how hard the flooring down was my alternator belt flew away.

Do yall think I need new lifters, push rods & rocker arm? if that is the case then please recommend brand name for them.

Thank you guys.

also a quick add, a Cleveland expert from car show I went to yesterday saw this and told me its not engine rod, he told me it sound like one or more lifters collapsed from each valve cover side and if it was engine knock it would sound way different.

Video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like more of a knocking sound than a ticking sound. Kinda hard to tell, but if it's a knocking sound that could be a connecting rod. May have spun a bearing. Check the oil for any metal. If you find some don't run engine anymore. I sure hope this didn't happen. What the hell was that guy thinking? You just rebuilt this, right? I really hope it's just a lifter, one may have collapsed or something easy like that. Check the valve train again.

SOMETHING definitely happened, I would at least take top end apart (remove valve covers and intake) and see if anything stands out, if you find something up top at least you don't have to take whole motor apart, but if nothing stands out as wrong, it may be time to pull for a rebuild. I think a check for collapsed lifters is your first bet. If none of your rockers or pushrods or lifters are bad, your going all the way in anyways. One thing I would check also would be pushrods, the original cleveland pushrods like to mushroom, or push the ball ends into pushrod tubes. I have lost 2 clevelands to bad factory pushrods!! And maybe the old man should throw in a few bucks, because that was a STUPID move!!

As mentioned pull the valve covers off and see what is going on, it shouldn't be to hard to spot the problem. Could be just some loose rockers. I would be irate if someone pulled thay stunt with my car.

Take the oil filter off and drain it into a pan. Look for any metal. Cut the filter open and inspect the filter element.

The drop in oil pressure is a possible indication of a bearing problem.

If you don't find any metal in the oil pull the valve covers and go through each rocker, checking for preload on each lifter. If one (or more) is loose check for collapsed lifter or bent push rod.

If you don't find anything I would pull the engine and check all rod and main bearings.

A lifter makes a clicking sound, a main bearing makes a clunking sound, and a rod makes a sound between the lifter and main bearing.

Goodness. That is a sad story. I am sorry but I am going with a spun bearing. Check the oil as suggested. That's an expensive lesson. Is 'old dad' going to pay for the damages?

First of all, who the hell is presumptious enough to get in someone else's car when they are not around, and then rev the shit out of it!

I am dead serious here: if that happened to me I definitely would have kicked the shit out of that guy, regardless of any subsequent damage that might have occured because of it.

Many years ago, I once got fired from a job because I looked out back and saw a customer sitting on my car's hood smoking a cigarette.

I went outside and said "Hey asshole, get the f*** of my car!", and he then got in my face and started some shit, so I decked him right there. One shot, down he goes...eye swollen shut.

I got fired on the spot...I didn't care.

Sometimes when I have my bike out, I catch someone looking like they want to sit on my bike, and I stop them with a simple "don't even think about sitting on my bike without my permission."

I am surprised at how bold and disrespectful prople can be with regards to other's property.

Any damage to your engine should be paid for 100% by "old dad". Even if he didn't cause it, too bad. He inhereted the problem since he decided it was ok to f*** with someone else's stuff.

Old Dad is paying for a rebuild.. loss of oil pressure is not a good sign.. It sounds to me from the video like it's not going to be a simple lifter pushrod problem ..Take a piece of 1/2" hose put on the block then put the open end to your ear you should be able to hear tell if it's coming from up top or the bottom..As Kit said thats lots of balls for someone to do something like that..Time for him to pay the piper for his actions..Simple in my mind, present bill doesn't pay sue him or You could also file a claim on his homeowners insurance or your collector car insurance...I would be pulling the motor doing a complete rebuild on "POPS" dime why? Piece of mind.. who knows what other damage he caused may show up down the road..Sorry pops your paying for a complete & proper rebuild..Next time keep your hands to yourself off others property..If it doesn't belong to you don't touch without permission..

If you pull the valve covers again and you don't have a scope to listen with just take a wood broom handle and cut you a section about 2 feet long. You can use any piece of wood. While the engine is running your can place the piece of wood next to each valve and put the end to your ear and you can hear the noise better and establish which valve or lifter it is. You can also push down on the push rod side of the rocker to take the slack out while running and if you hear a difference that lifter or push rod has an issue. If he floated the valves you may have a bent valve that requires replacement. This would show up in a compression test.

I would have kicked his ass myself.

Good luck,

David

My baby going to the doctor tomorrow again I don't know for how long

One thing to add is I just put a quart of marvel magic oil if that's what its called and it's way quiter, does that indicate lifter or anything?

View attachment 26525

My baby going to the doctor tomorrow again I don't know for how long

One thing to add is I just put a quart of marvel magic oil if that's what its called and it's way quiter, does that indicate lifter or anything?
I believe it is quieter because the engine and oil are cold. Chances are if you let it warm up the noise will get louder.

Can anyone recommend lifters, push rods, rocker arm for my cleveland

I had the pleasure of meeting Aemr yesterday at the Nifty50's meet in Houston. He told me the whole story in person. It truly was sickening to hear how someone could be so inconsiderate to do such a thing. I know hindsight is 20/20 but if he had only taken the keys. That does not excuse the old mans actions though.

I think you should determine what the damage is and approach your friends father who is responsible and politely ask him to pay for the damages. If he is unable to foot the whole bill ask for whatever he can. Something is better than nothing. Also if you handle this correctly without shouting or threats you will come out better. I would stress to him to stand up and take responsibility. I have spent twenty of my 39 years at my job negotiating with people to do what is right. I can't rebuild a car but I know how to bring someone around to my way of thinking more often than not. Not much question who is at fault here.

Good luck Aemr, I enjoyed talking to you yesterday. Sorry we could not get our cars side by side for a photo. Perhaps next time. It's always good to meet another member of this site.

Thank you all for your advises and sympathy. My friend is going to take care of all the expenses that will incur to fix her up. Mike, it was really nice meeting you as well. I enjoyed talking to you and you have a beautiful vehicle. I was so happy to see a big horse coming in that day. Hopefully it will be up running in no time and will meet you again at other Niftee 50ees nights if I dont sell it by then. Here is a beautiful photo of your Mustang.

View attachment 26534

First of all, who the hell is presumptious enough to get in someone else's car when they are not around, and then rev the shit out of it!

I am dead serious here: if that happened to me I definitely would have kicked the shit out of that guy, regardless of any subsequent damage that might have occured because of it.

Many years ago, I once got fired from a job because I looked out back and saw a customer sitting on my car's hood smoking a cigarette.

I went outside and said "Hey asshole, get the f*** of my car!", and he then got in my face and started some shit, so I decked him right there. One shot, down he goes...eye swollen shut.

I got fired on the spot...I didn't care.

Sometimes when I have my bike out, I catch someone looking like they want to sit on my bike, and I stop them with a simple "don't even think about sitting on my bike without my permission."

I am surprised at how bold and disrespectful prople can be with regards to other's property.

Any damage to your engine should be paid for 100% by "old dad". Even if he didn't cause it, too bad. He inhereted the problem since he decided it was ok to f*** with someone else's stuff.
You said it about as well as it could be said. Thanks Kit that's how I feel about the subject. When you have a nice car or bike most of the time people are respectful of it but every now and then some A-hole thinks they can do sh#$ like this and they need to be taken behind the wood shed and given a good butt kicking.

Back