Need help identifying cam and heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Years ago I bought a Ford Racing crate engine that was discontinued shortly after that.

I've had it in my Mustang since 2008 and it bugged me that I did not know anything about it in detail.

Now a friend of mine gave me an 2007 Ford Racing catalog and I found my engine in it.

The problem is that I cannot find any info on the cam ( E7JE-6250-AA) or the heads (E5AE-6090-CA) that are listed.

No idea about duration for the cam or flow for the heads.

I do know it is basically a truck engine built for torque instead of hp which is cool for me.

Still I'd like to know what I have here.

So, does anybody have specs for these parts?

I read somewhere that the heads were those used in the 1985 5.0L HO. Any insight on that?

Here's the pic courtesy of Ford Racing Catalog:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426616352.003576.jpg

Years ago I bought a Ford Racing crate engine that was discontinued shortly after that.

I've had it in my Mustang since 2008 and it bugged me that I did not know anything about it in detail.

Now a friend of mine gave me an 2007 Ford Racing catalog and I found my engine in it.

The problem is that I cannot find any info on the cam ( E7JE-6250-AA) or the heads (E5AE-6090-CA) that are listed.

No idea about duration for the cam or flow for the heads.

I do know it is basically a truck engine built for torque instead of hp which is cool for me.

Still I'd like to know what I have here.

So, does anybody have specs for these parts?

I read somewhere that the heads were those used in the 1985 5.0L HO. Any insight on that?

Here's the pic courtesy of Ford Racing Catalog:

256 269 .. .416 .432 with 1.6 rocker arms . . around 197 duration @ .050" . . most likely around 115 lsa . . the compression is pretty low . . if you use regular, it will be ok . . if you use premium, i would increase the compression to around 9.3

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

Where did you get the info, if I may ask?

I spent three hours on the Internet with no result before posting here.

Thanks!

the internet, lol . . took me around 2 minutes . . sometimes the key is knowing just what to put in the search window but it is definitely difficult sometimes . . i also use google search.

just found the original add in 20 seconds

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=5679

heres more info . . it is a marine and police interceptor engine.

http://www.yoyopart.com/oem/14249474/ford-e7je6250aa.html

ok, heres an update . . the info i posted came from a ford dealer parts person, however, the sealed power cam cross reference specs are vastly different so, im not too sure which is correct.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-cs-764

the cs cam is the same as an ertl 112243 cam

Thanks!

the internet, lol . . took me around 2 minutes . . sometimes the key is knowing just what to put in the search window but it is definitely difficult sometimes . . i also use google search.
This is so true...I've had several times when I could swear there was no info on the internet and then I find that one key word and I have more info than I can ever care to read. It can be both amazing and frustrating...as the optimist...amazing! :D

Yeah, took me a few seconds to find the original ad but the specs were a different matter.

I found btw that Google will show different results with the exact same keywords when you're in different countries.

Or maybe it's the browser history that makes for the differences, I don't know. :/

ok, heres an update . . the info i posted came from a ford dealer parts person, however, the sealed power cam cross reference valve lift specs are vastly different but if the lift specs they provide are with 1.7 rockers then it is likely the same cam . . sealed power makes replacement cams but their specs are occasionally slightly different than factory so one can not be sure the sealer power specs are exact

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-cs-764

the sealed power cs764 cam is the same as an ertl 112243 cam

the additional factory ford cam specs for your part number are:

in dur 206 @ .050

ex dur 221 @ .050

lsa 115

basically its a very mild cam

Thanks!

This is so true...I've had several times when I could swear there was no info on the internet and then I find that one key word and I have more info than I can ever care to read. It can be both amazing and frustrating...as the optimist...amazing! :D
yeah it is amazing and it is a bit of an art and one MUST be persistent, lol. . ive gotten very good at it from a lot of practice but i couldn't explain how to do it

you can also ask questions and it will often show a reply on ask.com and if not you will often see similar questions with replies on other forums.

the other thing is that it sometimes helps to know a bit about what you are searching for, and if you don't, then it is best to look for similar answers because not all the info or replies in forums are correct . . i have seen this often, so if never rely on just one reply . . this is especially true when trying to find out how to set the valve train geometry PROPERLY . . 99.999% of the replies are the same and they are all WRONG, lol.

this was also the case with this cam . . some of the people posted the wrong spec.

fortunately i know a lot about cars and engines because i have restored them for a living for around 30 plus years so i mainly use the net so i can post photos of what i am trying to explain etc or i just post a link that answers a question instead of typing out a lengthy answer.

Thanks Chuck.

I found the cc listed as 69 in one list. That would go with your info.

I did not find the valves though. Thanks!

Thank you Barnett. You really dug into it!!

Thanks Chuck.

I found the cc listed as 69 in one list. That would go with your info.

I did not find the valves though. Thanks!

Thank you Barnett. You really dug into it!!
no prob you're welcome . . believe me, i know how frustrating it can be trying to find an answer sometimes . . heres some more info for you . . if you had flat top pistons your compression would be around 9.2 . . the pistons that are in that engine look exactly like the ones below so the dish lowers your compression . . dont ask me how i know these are 351 low compression and marine engine pistons, lol..

images

i see you are in luxemburg, there is also a big mustang forum in the uk but their knowledge base is very limited even though they think its not and they have some very bad people on it so you wont get much help there . . there is a lot of very sharp people on this site that will give you accurate and useful info, lol.

Back