Simulated Leather shifter handle?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhvidston

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang conv 302
1973 Mustang conv 351
Hi guys...

Brought home 71 Mach 1 with Deluxe interior ( similar to photo)

noticed that it has a color keyed black shifter handle.. is this an early option? My 71 conv. has delx. int. but has a chrome shifter.

Thanks for the feedback. Doug in Indy

1971_00043_07.jpg

Others will be more knowledgeable but I don't think it is original.

Mine has deluxe interior and it has a chrome handle.

Hey Doug,

I'm not sure about the shifter option. I do like the full console without the clock, not sure if ive seen that before. Also, is that a tach/clock? Interesting...
Thanks!

Yeah.. to the left of the wheel is a clock.. l just learned a while ago that

if you have a dash mounted clock.. you would have had a "clock delete plate" in the full console where the clock typically is located...

either MACH 1 or plain plate.

I'm not sure about what years used that shift handle but I have one in my collection that's still in a Ford package, might be NOS. When I get a chance I could look at the part number. It is for sale if anybody is interested. My car is a manual shift so I have no use for it.

I'm not sure about what years used that shift handle but I have one in my collection that's still in a Ford package, might be NOS. When I get a chance I could look at the part number. It is for sale if anybody is interested. My car is a manual shift so I have no use for it.
I might be interested.. maybe take a picture of it?

Thanks

Doug

as far as my knowledge goes, deluxe interiors with automatic C6 or FMX got the camera case finish shifter handle. standard interior got the chrome shifter.

there was a key locking shifter ford option that was all chrome. it locked the transmission in park with a key.

the shifter bezel was different between the FMX and C6, the fmx was black and chrome metal and the C6 was black finish plastic.

the shift pattern was the same, but the floor shifter mechanicals were different between the C6 and fmx. the fmx has the neutral safety switch inside the car mounted to the shifter floor, and the C6 has the switch mounted to the transmission under the car.

Now the plastic on the shift handle would crack from UV/sun exposure, so its possible somebody just replaced it over time.

Don at ohio mustang has seen tons of these and could give us additional information.

Hi guys...

noticed that it has a color keyed black shifter handle.. is this an early option? My 71 conv. has delx. int. but has a chrome shifter.

I had the exact same thing in mine when I bought it in 2010 - minus the console (just had the shifter plate screwed to the floor). It had the Deluxe Interior with Clock/Speedo cluster, simulated leather shifter, 3-gauge pod, and all - mine also had an FMX behind a 351C-2V (H-Code), and was a 'no-stripe or spoilers' Ram Air car. I believe my car was a later year model as well.

My understanding is that Mach 1s were supposed to have a clock 'somewhere,' whether it be in the console or the instrument cluster (instead of a tach)... I would've preferred the tach honestly... but oh well.

I was wrong I must have sold it back a few years ago sorry. If I do find it I'll make it available to the forum.

Hi guys...

Looks like my aftermarket handle.

Seems like it's all over the place on this option. I have a 73 deluxe interior with fmx transmission(chrome shifter). I also have a 71 deluxe interior with a c6 and it has the leather shifter. I know the 71 is original. The 73 I think is original but I am not sure.

The handle is different at the base. It has a different angle than our original shifter handles. I thought about changing to it but was afraid I would have issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two 71 Mach 1's in my fleet. Early (9/70) and late (7/71). Both are M code C-6 cars with Mach 1 Deluxe interiors. Both have the black leather look handles. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to these "Things" that seem to pop up on our cars. My cousin has a 73 Cougar XR7 loaded with everything and it has the chrome handle!

Thank you all for your feedback! At this point... I'm going to assume that the "leather" handle is original on my 71 M code Mach 1 w/ C6.

The car was parked in storage in 2000 with 63,000 miles.

Still welcome any further discussion on rhyme or reason of the shifter handle options.

Thanks!

Doug in Indy

image.jpeg

Ok, I stand corrected. I said in my first post I thought it wasn't original. Learned something new today.

Now the question is: where can I find one? :)

Back