Chrome bumper or not?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my 72 Mustang has 73 bumpers. I kind of like the look of the 73 bumper as it looks mean from the front, but it doesn't fit well, has cracks in the paint and has been butchered on by a previous owner.

So the question is do I keep the 73 bumper and get it resprayed and fitted on properly or swap it for a more original 71-72 chrome bumper?

I'd much appreciate your opinions please.

None original but existing 73 bumper

IMG_6541_zpszwtkuhkd.jpg

or

71-72 Chrome bumper

1234_zpspnudchq4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like both but prefer the look of the urethane bumpers. The urethane bumper is one of the important changes that make the 71-73 Mustangs different from previous years. I just put the urethane bumper back on my car last month after spending quite a few hours prepping and repainting it.

71 and 72 fenders and fender extensions are different than 73 to accommodate the 5 mph impact bumper. It would cost a lot to convert to 71/72 Chrome bumper. Then there would be the issue of a 72 front end with a 73 grille. Have the existing one repaired, repainted, and properly fitted. Just one opinion. Chuck

I think a chrome bumper looks out of place on any 71-73 Mach 1.

As a last ditch effort I would paint a chrome correct-year bumper to at least look somewhat correct.

Just an additional thought: I wonder how difficult it would be to make a fiberglass replica of a 71/2 eurethane bumper, a "shell" that would cover and attach to a standard 71/2 bumper?

That way you would not have to fab up any mounts.

I don't really like the look of the 73 rubber bumpers on the 71/72s since the fenders are different etc. The picture you showed with the chrome bumper looks out of place unless you also change the hood and fender extension moldings from painted to chrome. Here is a pic of my neighbors 71 with the all chrome front.

2s1swu0.jpg

Since you mentioned it doesn't fit well, I'd be more inclined to just go with a chrome bumper.

But, when you say, "Doesn't fit well," do you mean, "A. you have a '73 bumper with '72 fenders." or do you mean, "B. you have a '73 bumper with '73 fenders poorly fitted?" That's the big thing to consider.

If it's "A," I'd get a new bumper. If it's "B," I'd get it refinished. Since it's a 'vert, you have options if you want to remain true to the car's origins... a Mach 1 should have its urethane bumper.

It looks good the way it is, so a chrome bumper will definitely be a big change.

My painter prayed standard primer on mine, which immediately cracked... so I just took it home and ordered a chrome bumper. I'll refinish properly someday, but I honestly think mine looks better with a chrome bumper, considering how much chrome the wheels project.

I love the look of the 71-72 urethane bumper more than anything.

I do however not like the fat 73 bumper at all.

I don't know how they did it but the 73 bumper on yours looks pretty good.

A chrome bumper would look very good and correct with your 72, even (or especially) without the chrome moldings.

I have the same look on mine,: chrome bumper, painted extensions and moldings and Mach1 grille.

It's the Boss 351 look and I love it.

What you could also do is get a chrome bumper and have it painted black.

It would look almost the same as it does now, only shorter viewed from the side and it would save some weight up front.

If you paint it, you could even shorten it so it fits tighter which is usually a concern with the repro bumpers. Ok, with the originals too, btw.

Thanks for your comments. I thinking I'm going to keep the 73 bumper, get it resprayed and get it fitted properly. May come back to this another time.

But, when you say, "Doesn't fit well," do you mean, "A. you have a '73 bumper with '72 fenders."
Yes, it's a 73 bumper bolted on to a 72 fender. It's had new holes made on the underside of the bumper.

I think the chrome bumper looks good on lighter cars like yours, but might look out of place on darker coloured cars as jeff8877 says.

It's all a matter of preference and/or your desire for correctness. As you've seen here there are lots of different set ups just in the few posts here and most of them look great. I love chrome and tastefully (in my opinion) incorporated it wherever I could. You just have to go with what works for you. I can see it working both ways in your design.

_SAM4065.JPG

I think the chrome bumper looks good on lighter cars like yours, but might look out of place on darker coloured cars as jeff8877 says.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. The less contrast, the more integrated it looks.

Good luck with the repairs. As has been said before, it really does look good on your car - despite being a mismatched set-up.

Since you've clarified it has 72 fenders, I'd like to see you go with a more correct 72 urethane bumper. $$$ but it would be an improvement.

For now, a repaint of the bumper you have would work.

Your car has slightly copied the Décor group option package anyway - so the 71/2 urethane bumper (painted body color) looks more correct, at least to me.

Ray

I ain't gonna lie - I've always liked the look of the car... wrong bumper and all. It looks sharp, plain and simple.

The more I see it and the more we talk about it, the more I'm thinking just stick with the urethane bumper. Jhawk's car looks awesome as well, but he's "all in" on the chrome nose and it fits perfectly. Just swapping the bumper on TL's car like that will make it look unfinished, IMHO.

It's going to look great no matter what you come up with. ::thumb::

If you go with the chrome bumper you need these

Item #D1ZZ-16554

71-72 FILLERS, FRONT BUMPER TO FENDER

Front bumper to fender fillers, pair. For cars with chrome front bumper

It fills the gap you see between the bumper and fender car

This has been a good thread for me, however, I'm still on the fence.

1. I hate the '73 bumper

2. I really like the 71-2 urethane look

3. I really like the 71 all chrome look

the paradox... I have everything needed to go either way

The urethane bumper and painted extensions have huge mechanical feel and look but leave me feeling like they have a "plastic" look as well.

The chrome and chrome look is a fantastic contrast feature and teases toward a "Shelbyish" look but it makes me feel like the car looks "older" than it should.

Gads... I'll probably go without either one at this rate.

Back