data call: Q code cars

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Please help us determine the changeover date for the non ram air breathers' different decals.

I think-

Sometime in early 1972 production, the chrome breather covers received a change of its decal. "351-CJ" was used first, then it was changed to "351-4V".

Please post your build date and which decal your car has.

I also understand the arc of the repro decal for 351-4V does not fit perfectly. Both of the originals fit the correct chrome cleaner cover/top correctly.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Ray

Mine was built 3/1/73.

I have the original snorkel / non-chrome housing.

The decal said 351-4V.

The original decal definitely fit better than the repro, but still not quite perfect.

Please help us determine the changeover date for the non ram air breathers' different decals.

I think-

Sometime in early 1972 production, the chrome breather covers received a change of its decal. "351-CJ" was used first, then it was changed to "351-4V".

Please post your build date and which decal your car has.

I also understand the arc of the repro decal for 351-4V does not fit perfectly. Both of the originals fit the correct chrome cleaner cover/top correctly.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Ray
Ray, I have verified that an unmolested 72 Q code built on 12/17/71 had the CJ decal. Chuck

My Mach 1's are both 71 M codes. But....I've had several Gran Torino Sports, 2 of 'em were Q codes. Since Mustang/Cougar-Gran Torino/Montego shared the same powertrain the changes Ford made would have been across the board. My early built (12/7/71) had 351 CJ on a chrome lid. The one I bought new, built (5/15/72) had 351 4bl on a chrome lid. Maybe any of our members that have 72 Q code cars can check their built date. Meanwhile we can file this along with the mystery of the two different A/T shifter knobs.

From what I found out, and it is by no means a certainty, The change over most likely occurred in January, 1972. That is not confirmed. Chuck

Ok, my car was built 2/2/72 (I love the date) so maybe I still got the CJ decal. Close enough for me. Plus I already bought a CJ decal. We'll blame it on the guy that had tooooo much for lunch!

And to throw another wrench into the mix, what finish should be on the vacuum actuators? I've seen both of them in either gold cad or silver.

Thank's Chuck for tryin to figure out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all.

I am adding dates to spreadsheet. Encourage other to post up.

Thanks Jeff - I appreciate the help! Hopefully, if they meet requirement, they will let us know what they have!

Ray

im new here..so got a bit of info to add?

72 Q code hardtop 05/72 2f01q215262 red out white int. dso b6

72 Qcode mach1 05/72 2f05q209563 red n red chrome top and whats left of 351 cj on it. dso b7 but im in canada.

keep me informed on the news..if any one knows anything about the "sport" hardtop model (not sprint), pleas also pm me..thanks.

my Q code car was built 6/28/72 and the chrome lid came with a 351-4v decal. The lid needed re-plating and I replaced it with one I bought at a swap meet that had a 351-CJ decal and I never changed it. Someday when I'd love to get the original re-plated and put the correct decal back on.

My '72 Mach 1 build date was 5/16/72 - the lid is painted blue with 351 4V decal.

Hi all my Q code was built 12/10/71 but unfortunately has an aftermarket cleaner at present. I have the correct OE part waiting to be fitted at that has a 351 CJ decal...... hopefully it is correct and appreciate being added to the database so I can maybe find out!

I just Googled my chassis number and found the following on the decodethis.com website.....according to this only 154 CJs were built in 1971 - sounds low to me:

"Year: 1972

The Mustang grew larger and heavier with each passing year culminating with the 1971-73 models, designed under the supervision of Ford's new product design manager, Semon "Bunkie" Knudsen, originally of General Motors. Knudsen's turn at the helm would see the last high-performance big-block Mustang, 1971's 375 hp 429 Super Cobra Jet.

Unfortunately, that very same body style was designed for the sole purpose of big-block installation versions, and was limited to a maximum of 351 CID (5.8 L) in 1972 and 1973, due to extremely strict U.S. emission control regulations and low demand for big block musclecars due to high insurance premiums. Two more high-performance engines were introduced in 1972, the 351 "HO" and 351 Cobra Jet. Both cars were excellent performers, but at nowhere near the level of the Boss cars and original Cobra Jet.

Car companies switched from "gross" to "net" power and torque ratings in 1972, and this coincided with the manufacturers making low-compression motors with different, far more restrictive induction systems, making it difficult to compare power and torque ratings. Very much a different car than in 1964, Ford was deluged with mail from fans of the original car who demanded that the Mustang be returned to the way it had been.

Engine: V8 351 CID 4V

this motor was introduced late in 1971 with very few 1971 Q codes made (154) and followed thru 1972 and 1973 and continued in the cougar torino lines in 1974 the last year for the 351 cobrajet!"

Hi all my Q code was built 12/10/71 but unfortunately has an aftermarket cleaner at present. I have the correct OE part waiting to be fitted at that has a 351 CJ decal...... hopefully it is correct and appreciate being added to the database so I can maybe find out!

I just Googled my chassis number and found the following on the decodethis.com website.....according to this only 154 CJs were built in 1971 - sounds low to me:

The Mustang grew larger and heavier with each passing year culminating with the 1971-73 models, designed under the supervision of Ford's new product design manager, Semon "Bunkie" Knudsen, originally of General Motors. Knudsen's turn at the helm would see the last high-performance big-block Mustang, 1971's 375 hp 429 Super Cobra Jet.

Unfortunately, that very same body style was designed for the sole purpose of big-block installation versions, and was limited to a maximum of 351 CID (5.8 L) in 1972 and 1973, due to extremely strict U.S. emission control regulations and low demand for big block musclecars due to high insurance premiums. Two more high-performance engines were introduced in 1972, the 351 "HO" and 351 Cobra Jet. Both cars were excellent performers, but at nowhere near the level of the Boss cars and original Cobra Jet.

Car companies switched from "gross" to "net" power and torque ratings in 1972, and this coincided with the manufacturers making low-compression motors with different, far more restrictive induction systems, making it difficult to compare power and torque ratings. Very much a different car than in 1964, Ford was deluged with mail from fans of the original car who demanded that the Mustang be returned to the way it had been.

this motor was introduced late in 1971 with very few 1971 Q codes made (154) and followed thru 1972 and 1973 and continued in the cougar torino lines in 1974 the last year for the 351 cobrajet!"
I think the 154 is in reference to the 1971Model year not calendar year. When did the 1971 model year end? Perhaps July/August???? Chuck

nbracken ,

I think your correct cleaner lid should be chrome...

I show 144 (49 4 spds and 95 automatics) Q codes for 1971 VS 10,249 total Q codes for 1972 and then 12,557 total Q codes for 1973!

Either way they are indeed rare. Your car is a relatively early production - at least the first third of builds for 72. So I think you are safe with the 351-CJ decal for yours - at least for now! :D

Thanks for posting your info as I will add it to the spreadsheet.

Ray

I'm pretty sure the 154 number is for the 1971 model year. From what I understand the 1971 Q Code is very rare. Yours is a 72 model, built in 71, which would be a pretty early build. Should get the CJ decal, with the info that has been provided so far.

Back