Quick upgraded engine bay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSTL

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang fastback 351w c4 tranny being worked into a resto-mod.
So over the course of the last week and a half I have installed hooker comp headers, a weiand stealth intake, and also an edelbrock carb. And a lot of good old fashioned high temp rattle canning to make the old new again. Very satisfied with the results so far!

[attachment=30873]

Photos help...

image.jpg

New look...

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to both of you!

I plan on getting the car over to a local shop to finish up the exhaust in the next week with a set of hooker aero chamber mufflers.

The valve covers turned into some of the more time consuming work of all involved. After using aircraft stripper, I hit them with high temp primer, a high temp silver, then duplicolor anodized finish blue after masking around the lettering, then topped it off with high temp clear. I was pleased with the results after deciding I wasn't really all too into anything being put out on the market. Then it was all little details. I couldn't convince myself that paying like 5 bucks a piece for anodized hose clamps was worth it so I just used heat shrink on the ends of the braided hose lines for fuel lines and pcv valve with stainless worm clamps. I was a little bummed that the wing nuts for the valve covers was a different shade of blue, but at the same time it's kind of nice to have your eyes catch a lot of different things rather then it all turn into a blob visually.

Very nice! We can't decide whether to stay with the original or dress up but those covers really make a great argument for dress up

Very nice! We can't decide whether to stay with the original or dress up but those covers really make a great argument for dress up
Thanks! I take that as quite the compliment since I like so much of what you have done with yours. I'm already excited for the tmi upgrades to the interior that I first saw from your posts.

I like what you have done. The valve covers are awesome. I get a different color rendering on different screens. On my work monitor the plug wires look purple. On my laptop they look more blue. Is the valve cover cap for the PCV colored the same as the engine block and 'power by' script or is it different?

I have a hard time telling. My suggestion is to avoid too many colors or shades of the same color. In my screen I see a different shade of blue for the engine block, the 'power by' script, the valve cover hold downs and the pvc holder. But then again the plug wires look purple too so I may be off base. I am not trying to insult you, I am just giving my thoughts.

Looks really good, I did the same thing a few years ago when I got mine back on the road. Take it one step further and take off all the stuff around the engine, set it on top of the engine and cover with a trash bag, then do a light scuffing with a green pad on the inner fenders and firewall, paint with a black semi gloss engine paint and it will looks brand new. You will definitely be happy withy the result! Engine block looks great though, and I agree that those valve covers are working well!

Here is a pic of mine, a little dirty, but you can see the walls are repainted as well.

image.jpg

Wow! thanks again, everyone! I am glad that I am getting such a positive response all around.

to answer more in depth on the colors. the 2 different blues match very well on the block vs the anodized finish of the script and pcv. the hold downs are a much lighter blue so I am thinking about giving them the anodized finish as well. the cables are blue but I get exactly what you are saying because they are just THAT vibrant of a blue which gives it an almost purple look at first glance. Im not about to take any offense to anything someone here says. I value this communities opinion always as constructive. the color scheme just took off in this direction as I was going. there is still plenty left to be desired here. I wasn't even going to go into the intake manifold and carb until later this summer even though I had them off to the side, ready to go. I was going in to do the headers since I was getting exhaust work done soon. of course I was down to the very last exhaust manifold bolt and it was the one that decided to break off in the head. since trying every little trick in the book got me no where. I ended up taking the head off and went all out since I had that much torn down. as is always the case, situations that come out of nowhere give great motivation.

Back