Alternate tutone hood paint schemes...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

My photoshop skills are horrible...I could barely get this to look as acceptable as it does, but i think it gives an idea of what I am looking to show.

What does anyone here think of this as a possible third design for the tutone?

It is simple...maybe too simple! But it is kinda' a combination of the mach and the BOSS designs, so it keeps it familiar, yet unique. And it looks like something they could have easily done on the assembly lines...certainly no more difficult than what they actually did offer.

I have always thought it would be great if the small block machs with ram-Air had this theme, the BOSS's have the full hood (possibly signifying "more" of a small block than standard)

And the 429/ RA's could have the original OEM mach 1 design.

That way it would be obvious at a glance what powertrain was lurking inside!

Picture 1054.jpg

Last edited:
Works for me. This way "Us" 351 people would get a ram air hood stripe we could call our own. The front section certainly looks like it would be a lot simpler to paint than the production paint design. A Little of the Boss, some of the Mach 1, and it doesn't look like it came from K-Mart. With misread directions, incorrect templates, drunk painters, etc I've seen many versions of the Mach Ram Air design.

I like it a lot, Kit!

Other ideas would be black only on the center part in between the air ducts...

or a 69 Shelby scheme, like mrmach1 posted earlier.

Like a standard Mach1 hood with body color in the middle.

Or, one could leave all the hood body color except for two stripes that start behind the air ducts and go to the windshield.

Our member Kellogg has a vert that is done this way. You may make the stripes a little more pronounced but this is the idea.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-convertible--13948

Oh, and then we have member rottenralph whose car has a negative Mach1 paint scheme on the hood, where the body color and blackout are reversed.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would surely be easier to replicate then the correct one. I do like it in black but I'm not to sure about Argent silver. This could be the hood for Ram Air cars only, that would give them something of a special look.

Last edited by a moderator:
when I first got my 72' Q code, it came with no blackout. I have never been a huge fan of the Mach 1 style blackout, so I went closer to the Boss style. I am not a stickler for 100% factory correct.

1567o5j.jpg

when I first got my 72' Q code, it came with no blackout. I have never been a huge fan of the Mach 1 style blackout, so I went closer to the Boss style. I am not a stickler for 100% factory correct.

1567o5j.jpg
Your car looks killer really love it
Thanks man, much appreciated

Back