custom tower braces

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helldive

Reaction score
My Car
71Mach1
90LX
07Ram
Hello folks.

Just thought I would share something I've been working on for the past few days.

Ill update this when all of the dimensions have been confirmed and checked.

opb53t.jpg

14t1wer.jpg

Any comments or questions are welcome. Thanks.

Howdy Gentlemen,

Took me a bit to get these laser cut. The material is 3/8 steel plate.

Here is a preview.

25itff8.jpg

deuuf8.jpg

You guys truly amaze me being able to make all those "non-stock" pieces and parts work in your cars!! Keep up the awesome work!! Everything in those pics look so clean and precise!!

Ill have dimension info and part numbers for anyone wanting to make these your selves.

Sweet! Nice job! ::thumb::

If I didn't have so many things affixed to or being hidden by the factory tower braces, I'd love to have a set for myself - this is awesome!

Great job on those they look great and makes working on your car much easier. My computer with AutoCAD is gone so I cannot draw anything but will have back soon.

You should consider making the components out of high strength steel (HSS), High Strength Low Alloy (HSLA) about twice as strong as normal steel or even better would be Ultra High Strength Steel (UHSS) that is 4 times the yield strength of normal steel. You buy less steel and don't add as much weight but are stronger.

I worked in the automotive stamping world for many years. One of my projects was working with John Deere on their combine. They wanted to make the cut width greater but with all the added weight of the steel they were going to have to add an engine to run the thrasher and an engine to power the combine through the field. I came in and made some recommendations to change to Ultra High Strength Steel, make several of the components from stampings instead of welded assemblies to reduce weight and save mfg. costs. It is about 4 times the tensile strength of normal cold rolled or hot rolled steel. The supplier of the steel was Swedish Steel and Domex is their brand name. Now trying to bend and form this stuff is a bear it is like bending a spring. The steel company gave Deere an award for the most innovative use of their steel and Deere gave the project the best project of the year award. \They are even using some steel in cars today that has to be red hot to "Hot Form" it. It will shatter like glass if not heated but is really strong. They laser the hole in after forming. You can check with local steel suppliers or there might be a stamping house around that could help you find what you need.

One of the tool & die shops that I deal with was making quarter panels for one of the NASCAR teams, that I will not disclose, but was replacing the normal soft cold rolled steel with high strength to allow you to rub someone or the wall a little harder and it not give as much.

I would think your design would give side to side bracing but would not help much in the up and down without a ridged connection between the cowl and shock tower. The export brace that Carol Shelby stole from all the Mustangs that were exported had shape that gave left to right and up and down and since it was one piece also helped more with the twisting.

It is great that you are investing your time into coming up with new stuff. We all need more stuff.

I need to sell some stuff.

David

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. We have a water cutting company here. I´ll go ask if they do custom jobs or only big commercial stuff. If they do and the price is right, I think I will have them made.

Did you use a longer screw on the shock tower mounts where it bolts to the brace?

If I had a dollar for everytime I screamed at my shock tower braces for being in the way of my fat hands...

The word jealous is an understatement...

I used reg carbon steel. The steel is strong but the design gives it it's strength. I can give you the cad drawing if you wish. They do have free cad drawing viewers out there.

Lux,

Yes I did use a longer stainless bolt. I can't recall the length right off... But I'll check.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am more a vintage guy but that looks way cool!!!

I like the "Ford"-engraved shock tower plates especially... ::thumb::
How about using shock tower brace with that as well.....would make a perfect tie-in for it all....would need to work with the larger RAM-Air cleaner as well...

BDK

Back