To build or not to build...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexluger

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang 302
I need opinions... Should I buy a turn key engine from five star engines for $3500 (302/320HP) or could I build something much more potent for less? I was looking at aluminum gt40 heads for about $600 but my head started spinning when I realized there is so much more than just buying heads and a good cam. Any opinions will be appreciated. Fyi I have a 302 with a weiand 7515 manifold and holly carb that's way too big 700cfm (came with it)...

When I scratch build engines I don't end up saving money but I do end up with stronger pieces and cam and heads that are the best match to the power/drivability level I'm looking for.

Unrelated to to the crate/build question, considering the weight and engine bay size of the 71-73s I'd really consider 351 + inches for a fresh power plant. A stroked 351 (C or W) is a nice way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need opinions... Should I buy a turn key engine from five star engines for $3500 (302/320HP) or could I build something much more potent for less? I was looking at aluminum gt40 heads for about $600 but my head started spinning when I realized there is so much more than just buying heads and a good cam. Any opinions will be appreciated. Fyi I have a 302 with a weiand 7515 manifold and holly carb that's way too big 700cfm (came with it)...
Throw the budget out the window. Go bigger.... If it feels good, Stroke it!

Mike

Why not build 1 if that's what you want to do. There are some really knowledgeable people on this site and I am sure they would be more than happy to walk you through it all. Their advice is freely given and there are no dumb questions

320 hp for $3500 is not bad. I understand how you felt when you start looking into everything you will need. The big things are easy to cover. It's all the little things that get expensive. New bolts, paint, clamps, hoses, tranny lines, fittings, gaskets, motor-tranny mounts, etc.......... It adds up fast! I think if you HAVE to stay on budget and don't care about #'s matching go for the crate motor. Just do your research and buy one from a reputable outfit. And use any parts you already have, it helps!! Good luck!!

I'd build that 302 bigger and better that way you know what you have and your not taking someone else's word for it. If you do it right you'll be good to go and have a lot of fun in the process. Remember there's no replacement for displacement.

Lexluger,

I found this 302 / 390 HP @ Summit Racing for $3499.00 base crate motor.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp3060ct/overview/make/ford

If I could do my 302 all over again, I would look into this option. My current 1994 302 GT roller motor build far exceeded this cost. Also, you get an Auto Crate engines carry a 30-month or 50,000-mile warranty. When you rebuild your own, or have someone else do it, it is a very very limit or no warranty at all.

Good Luck!

mustang7173

Lexluger,

I found this 302 / 390 HP @ Summit Racing for $3499.00 base crate motor.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp3060ct/overview/make/ford

If I could do my 302 all over again, I would look into this option. My current 1994 302 GT roller motor build far exceeded this cost. Also, you get an Auto Crate engines carry a 30-month or 50,000-mile warranty. When you rebuild your own, or have someone else do it, it is a very very limit or no warranty at all.

Good Luck!

mustang7173
that blueprint engine is a pos . . there is no free ride . . high quality engines cost big money . . if you want a decent crate buy a ford racing one.

If you have a motor that runs, I would personally just keep it for now and build a stroked Windsor. I'm a Windsor fan. 393 or 408. All the streetable torque most would ever need. Not to mention it should work well for that 700cfm carb. And you could build it at your own pace. Just my opinion..

Back