Small Engine Overhaul

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73' Mustang Hardtop- 302 2v V8
I just purchased an Edelbrock 4v 600cfm Carb #1405, and a 4v Intake (#2121). A perfect combination for my needs. I realized that this would be a perfect time to actually pull the engine out and do a nice paint job with new valve covers, air cleaner and maybe some headers!

I have never done this before, so my dad will be helping me a lot in this process. However I still need to research some headers. It looks like someone already did some exhaust upgrades in the past with a dual exhaust. I am thinking maybe I will repaint the engine and spice it up, then take it to a custom exhaust shop for new headers if they do that sort of thing.

It will be some time before I can start on this, but I would like to track my progress here. In the meantime, here was the engine when I FIRST got the car. It looks nothing like this now, it is much much cleaner now, but the block has not been re painted.

Engine%20Original_zps6wazpvpl.jpg

Here are the valve covers I will purchase in the next week.

$_35.JPG

Any thoughts on headers are appreciated.

Would any of these work? I have no idea what I am looking for in headers. The intake and carb are 4bbl but I believe this car has the original 2bbl heads.

Headman Shorty Headers Square Port

Patriot Headers Mid- Length

Both are ceramic coated which is good. I am basically asking if these will be good for a stock engine layout for a 302 with 2bbl heads?

Thanks everyone.

Elizabeth73,

You could buy the standard painted headers and send them off to have them ceramic coated.

Standard Hedman Headers -- $179.97 with free ship

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-88400/overview/year/1973/make/ford/model/mustang

Some Ceramic Coating Vendors –

http://swaintech.com/ - According to barnett468, these are the true ceramic coated type material to spray on your header pipes. Wow, they are not cheap at $350.00 approx. that does not include collector. After reading the information on the site, these are probably the best coating out there.

http://www.jet-hot.com/ -- This is another mentioned ceramic coating Vendor that is out there.

http://www.getcoated.com/index.html -- This is the vendor that I use to do my hedman headers. Please thread link below.

I did find the Patriot Headers H8433-1 @ summit racing for $349.97 with free ship – This might be a better choice cost wise.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h8433-1/overview/make/ford

Get yourself a cross over kit-Equalizies the exhaust pressure for better flow-

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-642022/overview/

Here is my original thread from the Forum. I will never buy ceramic coated headers again. My next set will be the standard painted and have them sent off to be coated. There is a lot of good recommendations here at the forum that can help you make a good decision.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-exhaust-headers-protection?highlight=ceramic

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the information mustang7173, however I am a little confused now. I was thinking ceramic headers were the best in terms of rust prevention. Now after doing some research, people seem to prefer the natural non-painted, non-coated stainless steel headers. I do not mind wiping down the headers and keeping them clean to prevent rust, however I thought coated headers were created to prevent rusting.

I need to do more research that for sure!

Coated headers keep heat in the pipe. Most coated headers you buy are mild steel, and only coated on the outside. this means they rust from the inside out. even though stainless headers will discolor, they will last longer than mild steel. the best idea that I've heard is to buy stainless headers and send them out to get coated, inside and out, if your budget allows. thats what I'm doing with a custom turbo manifold I'm building for another project.

Elizabeth73,

You are correct on your assessment. The problem is that the ethanol enhanced fuels that is used today burns much hotter than the gasoline from years ago. The reason I stated to get the painted headers is so that the ceramic vendor can coat the inside and outside of the header pipe. The coating should at least with stand 2000 and 2500 degrees . The ceramic coatings have varies degrees.

Please check this link FAQ's from Carolina Ceramics. This might help with the ceramic coating process.

http://getcoated.com/faq-thermal-ceramic.html

mustang7173

I have done some research on this since I last posted. Looks like if I want something to last a while and be the most rust resistant I would want to go with stainless steel. They are pricey though. It may have to wait a while until I get the engine repainted and running with the new intake and carb I got.

Anyone have JBA headers?

Which ever route you decide to take, get a machinist to true up the flanges. This will keep you from blowing gaskets.

I have done lots and lots of research and came to a decision for my application. I have decided to go with uncoated stainless steel headers for its natural resistance to rust and corrosion. The discoloring that they get doesn't bother me, I actually think it looks awesome when the blues and purples come out.

My main concern is rust, you should see mine. I believe they are the original headers and COVERED in rust. Don't want that near a freshly painted engine! If for some reason in the future I decide to get them coated I will, at least I will have the option.

I will have to purchase the essentials first before I buy these. I might have to hook up the engine to the old ones for a while so I can enjoy it a bit this summer until I have the money for these.

HERE they are. JBA 409 Stainless Steel headers. The ones I really wanted were 306 stainless steel but do not fit older stangs.

Here is a picture of the engines current state. The first engine picture was from when I got it home. I threw on some blue paint to protect the air cleaner. The blue is too bright for this year but it was the only one there labeled "ford blue." I got some new dark blue paint for the engine when I pull it. I am excited to see the vin number on the engine when it is pulled.

Engine%20Original_zps6wazpvpl.jpg

20150331_120507_zpsmiveoiu6.jpg

Of course, I will keep the old air cleaner in a storage container and get the right paint and stickers for it. Same for valve covers. Here is a new Edelbrock air cleaner I just got in. I like the look of them for some reason.

20150331_143753_zpshtthhzlh.jpg

A poorly lighted picture of the new carb and intake just for fun. I will be taking pictures of the engine block when I take it out, and give before and after pictures of everything I work on.

20150327_220522_zpsm6avbeer.jpg

The car came out for a little bit today. Cleaned the rims and took it for a ride. It runs perfectly. I only hope that it will continue running like this when I replace all kinds of parts.. It will be getting all new gaskets everywhere, new water pump, timing chain, maybe some pullies, and all kinds of goodies.

DONT mind the gap in the hood, it is not closed all the way because the antenna is wrapped in cloth and tucked under the hood for car cover purposes.

20150331_120437_zpseeb2g61v.jpg

Looks like I will soon have THREE engine pictures to compare side by side. I am having trouble finding a nice fan shroud though, should I just refinish the plastic or go with an aluminum/chrome shroud?

Elizabeth73

I found this good article on restoring and repairing a fan Shroud. Also, check the eastwood link here that directs you to the Plastic bumper paint and primer that is designed for flexibility.

http://www.urethanesupply.com/vista.php

Eastwood Company

http://search.eastwood.com/search?w=plastic%20bumper%20paint

mustang7173
Thanks for this. The good thing is it is just residue and old sticker on my fan shroud, so I will just have to sand that off. I will definitely be buying that Eastwood resurfacer, it has great reviews.

I will have to paint my power steering.. Its not even a year old and it is already chipping. SO annoying! It will be getting a couple of clear coats after some new paint lol.

This was supposed to be a quick intake and carb swap, then I decided to paint the engine, then I thought I may as well replace all of the gaskets, then I decided it was time to replace mechanical parts inside the engine.

So, what was that about time and money? lol!

don't sand the sticker residue off, just use GooGone and maybe a degreaser, some scrubbing it will come out clean.

Here is a before and after picture of my engine, and it was all done with the engine in place, this engine has never been removed from the car yet.

any info or tips you need, let me know. and as the weather gets better maybe we can meet up at a cruise night or car show.

P1000487.JPG

20141006_174803.jpg

imusa76, That came out excellent. You really did that without pulling the engine? I didn't think it could be done as nice as that. Looks like I will be going knee deep, I don't want to have to do this again.

I have been so busy with college I haven't spent much time with my dad, so I coned him into helping me with my car for some father daughter time. Soon the chevy man will have Ford Blue spray paint all over him!

A cruise night meet up would be great, my car is not quite ready for a show with rips in the front seats and a cracked dash pad (damn they are expensive!). If you pm me a few of the ones you go to and what week days and times (and any price) I can find my way there! Cant wait to see another 123 mustang, haven't seen a convertible in person yet

Cruise nights around here are Free, and the nice thing about a Cruise night, it doesn't matter if you have ripped seats, or any issues, it just time to go out, check out other cars, and sit back relax, most are very casual atmosphere.

as for the ripped seats, I showed mine for years with really bad ripped drivers seat, all I did was when I got to the show I placed a Jacket on the seat, but it was strategically placed to cover the rips :D

**UPDATE**

So I have been tearing down the engine a bit further to replace a couple of things before I repaint it and put it back. Here you can see what age and New England do to engines

20150412_152032_zpsletglnvv.jpg

The car has always ran great, but there was a surprise waiting. I pull the timing chain cover and found this:

20150415_101806_zpssbnvzmuu.jpg

Just about every tooth chipped, and the chain having a LOT of play. No worries though, I have a nice Edelbrock replacement. I figured a new timing chain would be needed, but had no idea the original would be so cracked up. Its a cool looking piece. Call me weird but I may keep it.

20150415_122008_zps5zlqplnc.jpg

After some power washing and degreasing. The inside of the intake and valve covers were extremely clean. What a relief it was when I didn't see any sludge inside the engine.

20150416_203605_zpsdibyytwd.jpg

My dad is a manger at a machine shop so I can get anything blasted for free.

The engine sits with primer on and soon I will start putting Ford Blue engine paint on it. Ill give updates with the new parts with before and after pictures. I know people like those :)

Back