Edelbrock Intake - 351C 4V

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow C6 auto
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow, 4 speed
1973 H code Convertible ivy glow, FMX
I have a 1973 351C 4V Q code that I would like to install an aftermarket intake on. Edelbrock has their 2665 model made for the 351C. Looking at this intake, the ports are no where near as large as the intake ports on the 4V heads. The intake actually looks like it was made for the 351 2V engine to allow the use of a 4 barrel carb. I spoke to Edelbrock tech support and they said that their ports are smaller to increase velocity and that it was designed for use with the 351C 4V heads. They also said that with the correct gasket this intake will work just fine. Does anyone have any experience with the Edelbrock 2665 aluminum intake on the 351C 4V?

It appears to be the same intake they've been making since the early 70's. If it is, and you want to shift gears much above 5300 RPM, buy something else. I remember a friend installing one on a 70 mach 1, 351C-4V in 72 and the car lost MPH and ET. A stock near square bore factory intake (70- early 71) will make more power than this piece. In fact the stock intake will easily support 400 HP. What Edelbrock says about better low rpm torque is true but, what they don't say is what happens to higher RPM torque and HP.

Chuck

Why not run a torker intake? I took a brand new one off my engine when I installed my ram air setup. My engine ran great with the torker.

Mike

I put one on my 71 351C. Absolutely no gains other than weight savings. Stick with the factory intake.

I've got a 351c 4v and ran an Edelbrock 750 on the stock cast iron intake and developed hard starts from vapor lock. Changed out the intake manifold to the 2665 and no more vapor lock problems. Engine runs fine, starts fine cold or hot and weight between the two is like night and day. The aluminum intake dissipates heat better also. As far as performance gain? Can't tell the difference.

If you want to gain with edelbrock go with the air gap. the problem with that is if you have ram air you can no longer use it. I gained 50hp and torque with the air gap. It is also made for the 2v but works on the 4v intake very well. I posted a thread call manifold Mania. They are pages from the engine masters mag. they use a 351c 4v for the comparison. Check it out it might give you a better idea.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-manifold-mania

If you want to gain with edelbrock go with the air gap. the problem with that is if you have ram air you can no longer use it. I gained 50hp and torque with the air gap. It is also made for the 2v but works on the 4v intake very well. I posted a thread call manifold Mania. They are pages from the engine masters mag. they use a 351c 4v for the comparison. Check it out it might give you a better idea.

Gained 50 Horsie powers with just a change of the intake manifolds? WOW! That's incredible claims Eric! Are you an Edelbrock sales rep? :)

Gained 50 Horsie powers with just a change of the intake manifolds? WOW! That's incredible claims Eric! Are you an Edelbrock sales rep? :)
hahaha no but my engine was on the dyno it has an extreme energy cam. When we dynoed it with the stock intake I got 385 peak hp. I wanted at least 400 so I got the air gap. One weak later we put it back on and got 435 peak hp and 400 ftlbs or torque. I am not a sales rep but for street and strip applications this intake is hard to beat. It was copied by a lot of manufacturers like Dart and Holley also I think. Of course the dart one is just for SB cheveys but you get the idea.

When I bought my '71 Grande with a 351C 4V, the engine had an Edelbrock Performer LB. Yes, the smaller ports will give you better low RPM performance but the Cleveland is not a low RPM engine. Fortunately the person from whom I bought the car had the original Ford iron intake which I put back on.

mike

Back