Exhaust upgrades

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeZapU

Reaction score
My Car
12 GT
73 Mach 1
85 GT
66 F-100
This video is showing my Mach 1 with its 19 year old pipes. The exhaust was originally installed when the engine was stock and it replaced the original y-pipe and single exhaust. A few years later the engine was rebuilt and headers were installed. The exhaust was mated to the rest of the old system and a crossover was added. Flowmaster mufflers were also added about 1-2 years after that. This is a 2 1/8" system with compression bends and adapters necked down to 2" to fit the stock chrome exhaust tips. The later addition of the rear sway bar had it rubbing on the exhaust. Lots of changes over the years have lead to a majorly cobbled exhaust system. Time for an update. I just wanted to document the changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also liked the sound of the old exhaust system. I'll be interested to hear the new system. I did the same thing years ago when I experimented with headers I even took it out on the street drove it around and did a couple of burn outs. Lol love that sound.

The current exhaust is quite mellow, especially when it is warmed up. I hope to get it to the exhaust shop later in the week. I have some Borla mufflers slated to go on it. Stepping up to 2.5" pipes. I don't want the exhaust to be a restriction when the new engine finally goes in.

if you have a high perf engine and intend to flog it occasionally, an X pipe is good.

Got the new Exhaust finished up today with the Borla ProXS mufflers and 2.5" pipe. I had him install some flange adapters in front of the mufflers. When I need to I can now remove the collector reducer bolts, band clamps from the flange adapters and drop the H-pipe straight out. I still need to sort out a tip solution. You would think with almost 1600 different types available at Summit Racing they would have one that is what I'm looking for.

The rear valance is originally one that did not have the cutouts. When I was getting the body work done the shop made the cutouts having the current exhaust centered up. But they are both favoring the outside of the car. I need to open up the cutouts about 1/4" to the inboard to properly center up the pipe.

Things to sort in time. I like the way it sounds. Surprisingly quiet for a straight through muffler design. It's no longer rubbing on the rear swaybar so the whole car seems smoother.

[video=youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds almost exactly like mine!! (I first thought it actually was mine, at was so familiar!) :)

My Edelbrock mufflers are straight through design too.

I'm sure the exhaust note will change a bit when I finally install the new engine with the 4V heads and solid lifter cam.

I'm trying to find a stepped trumpet similar to the original tips, but with little success.

I've gone so far as to purchase a 4' section of 2.5" stainless pipe, with the hopes that the exhaust shop could flare the end out to 3" and I could polish it and "boom" done. But his expanding die will only go in 2" deep when the original is approx 5" deep at the top. he also tried his other ram style expander, but the clamp that holds the pipe in the fixture can't bite into the hard stainless pipe to hold it in place. So that idea didn't work as planned.

Yesterday I called a shop called Stainless-Specialties to see if they could make a pair of tips for me. No reply. Left a message.

I really want to finish it off right and not just settle. I'll keep trying and see what I can figure out.

Back