Too loud

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible 351c 4v 4 speed

2013 Mustang Boss 302
So the nostalgia of having a car that sounds like a demon straight out of hell has worn off and the Flowmaster 40s have to go. I'm not looking to make a huge step down in sound but need some suggestions for mufflers that will still let that big block sing without vibrating my teeth out with drone at 2500 rpm. Suggestions?

On the quieter side go with a free flowing RV muffler. It will still rumble just a quieter rumble until you get on it then the demons will reappear.

If that seems to be more quiet than you are looking then Magna flow mufflers are no drone (like the RV mufflers) but a little louder.

Seems the older I get, the less obnoxious the better.

It's not only the mufflers, it's the mix of components.

Long tube headers, 2 inch pipes and Edelbrock mufflers sounded great with no drone frequencies whatsoever.

Now the same mufflers with 2 1/4 pipes and shorty headers do build up some serious drone at various rpm.

I just post this as a warning that swaping mufflers does not necessarily have to make an improvement.

It can but no garanties.

So the nostalgia of having a car that sounds like a demon straight out of hell has worn off and the Flowmaster 40s have to go. I'm not looking to make a huge step down in sound but need some suggestions for mufflers that will still let that big block sing without vibrating my teeth out with drone at 2500 rpm. Suggestions?
unfortunately you know the saying

" to loud, to old " ….:D

DynoMax VTs are on my wish list.

Mike brings up a good point. Whenever you change the sequence or timing of when the individual exhaust pulses enter the collector/exhaust pipe the volume, frequencies, drone RPM, and sound will change, due to harmonics (something you guitar players are familiar with).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not only the mufflers, it's the mix of components.

Long tube headers, 2 inch pipes and Edelbrock mufflers sounded great with no drone frequencies whatsoever.

Now the same mufflers with 2 1/4 pipes and shorty headers do build up some serious drone at various rpm.

I just post this as a warning that swaping mufflers does not necessarily have to make an improvement.

It can but no garanties.
Agree...including having either H pipe or X pipe, can mess with the sound a bit too.

Back