Non Ram Air to Functioning Ram Air

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capn_Morgan

Reaction score
My Car
2014 Mustang GT Premium w/Track Pack.
1972 Mach 1 Deluxe.
Hey guys! I just bought a 72 Mach 1 the other day for a full resto. I was wondering the best way to convert a non ram air to a functioning ram air hood? Would I just be able to drill out the inserts? Or is there more to it than that?

The honeycomb scoop grilles are just screwed in from the back. Replace those with the vacuum flappers and the plenum and the hood side is done. Replace your air cleaner with a ram air air cleaner and you're done.

Here's the complete kit from oms.

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=2074

Don't expect to see any performance increase.

The honeycomb scoop grilles are just screwed in from the back. Replace those with the vacuum flappers and the plenum and the hood side is done. Replace your air cleaner with a ram air air cleaner and you're done.

Here's the complete kit from oms.

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=2074

Don't expect to see any performance increase.
Thank you so much for the reply! Not looking for a lot of performance gains, just thought it would be a nice touch to add the functioning hood. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got done putting one on my car and it was bolt on and works correctly. The only mods that are necessary are for the MSD distributors if you use one of those and if you use an aftermarket intake that has a higher carb base. With the MSD dizzy you can work around that but I see no way to work around the intake if it is an hi rise one. The stock intake and the Edelbrock Performer manifold will work just fine. I used a Blue Thunder and it fits but I have a 73 and I have heard others say it doesn't fit in their cars. I think that the motor may sit a little lower for a 73 but I have not verified that. No performance gain for these setup's.

Also plan on adding the hood locks, functioning Ram always had hood locks from what I have read here. That may mean you need to change out the hood springs to the flat wire ones. Our hinges are very easy to move so the hood falls at the most in appropriate times. Others I have seen take a bit of work to get down so it depends on your hinges and how well lubed they are.

We are happy we changed to functioning ram but it is really just a bling thing that can be a pita

Also plan on adding the hood locks, functioning Ram always had hood locks from what I have read here. That may mean you need to change out the hood springs to the flat wire ones. Our hinges are very easy to move so the hood falls at the most in appropriate times. Others I have seen take a bit of work to get down so it depends on your hinges and how well lubed they are.

We are happy we changed to functioning ram but it is really just a bling thing that can be a pita
I'm considering adding ram air to mine as well but my hood seems to be barely staying up now. I can't imagine how it's going to work with the plenum and hood locks added. I understand this is a common problem.

I'm considering adding ram air to mine as well but my hood seems to be barely staying up now. I can't imagine how it's going to work with the plenum and hood locks added. I understand this is a common problem.
seems odd but also seems consistent that standard hoods dont have the strength of the NASA hood springs. Jeremy CFR has the same issue.... I'm starting to believe the springs ARE different. but I've been wrong before.

I'm starting to think it may not be a spring issue at all but rather hinge issue or both combined. I'm absolutely positive that the springs and hinges are the ones that came on my car and nobody will ever convince me otherwise. But after 40 plus years of opening and closing and holding the hood open during long days at countless car shows and cruise nights I think they may by getting tired. Too tired to hold open that huge hood with the added weight of a ram air plenum and the hood pins. It just might be time to replace both or forget adding Ram Air altogether.

I have a factory Ram Air set-up on mine, and when I got my car, the driver side hood hinge was missing its spring.

I got 'newer' [than mine] hinges from ebay, and a new set of hinge springs from CJ Pony Parts. The springs are stout enough to hold up my hood just fine (loaded up with the Ram Air and hood locks) - no issues. Definitely reproduction parts, and I might've even just got lucky - who knows?

The OMS springs are listed as "Standard Springs," and have Ford part numbers associated... meaning, that Don gets certified genuine Ford parts and if they say "standard springs," they're probably not rated for Ram Air/hood lock-equipped NASA hoods.

Don's really good about offering genuine Ford parts so you know exactly what you're getting from him. CJPP, NPD, and some of the others, aren't as meticulous about their parts. I'm not saying anybody is selling junk (by any means), but if you're looking for absolute factory correct parts, OMS is your best bet.

I have a factory Ram Air set-up on mine, and when I got my car, the driver side hood hinge was missing its spring.

I got 'newer' [than mine] hinges from ebay, and a new set of hinge springs from CJ Pony Parts. The springs are stout enough to hold up my hood just fine (loaded up with the Ram Air and hood locks) - no issues. Definitely reproduction parts, and I might've even just got lucky - who knows?

The OMS springs are listed as "Standard Springs," and have Ford part numbers associated... meaning, that Don gets certified genuine Ford parts and if they say "standard springs," they're probably not rated for Ram Air/hood lock-equipped NASA hoods.

Don's really good about offering genuine Ford parts so you know exactly what you're getting from him. CJPP, NPD, and some of the others, aren't as meticulous about their parts. I'm not saying anybody is selling junk (by any means), but if you're looking for absolute factory correct parts, OMS is your best bet.
Eric, some part suppliers reference / use the Ford part numbering system [ actually a lot do ] This has nothing to do with it being a Ford part. There are very few Ford parts left for 71-3's

Unless it says NOS or has a Ford box / package - it's not a Ford part.

There are some parts made on the original Ford tooling - even they are not Ford parts. OE tooling parts are usually very good though as they are made on the tooling that someone bought from Ford.

Then there are Ford licensed parts - These are usually items that are trademarked - grille ponies. Mach 1 decals, emblems, parts made on the OE tooling as they have the Ford part number cast into them.

This means Ford get royalties. It should mean its held to a higher standard but not always.

Then there is the regular repro parts

Pretty sure we all have the same hood hinge springs

Hope this clears it up

Don

Well... there it is! ::thumb::

Yeah... that's what I meant about the "genuine Ford parts," (Licensed, that is).

Thanks for the clarification, though.

I'm starting to think it may not be a spring issue at all but rather hinge issue or both combined. I'm absolutely positive that the springs and hinges are the ones that came on my car and nobody will ever convince me otherwise. But after 40 plus years of opening and closing and holding the hood open during long days at countless car shows and cruise nights I think they may by getting tired. Too tired to hold open that huge hood with the added weight of a ram air plenum and the hood pins. It just might be time to replace both or forget adding Ram Air altogether.
I agree, I think the springs losing strength is a big part but it has as much or more to do with if the worn hinges are cleaned up and lubed they move too easily and the worn springs cannot hold it. The hood on our 73 cougar has to be heavier than the mach hood even after we added the plenum and locks but you have to work to get the cougar hood to come down. Sneeze and the Mach's hood comes down. We picked up a set of flat wire springs and one is much stronger than the other. I guess we should order a new set from Don and see how they compare. It would be nice to find a solution other than the tie straps we used on the hinges to keep them up

Quick update. Flat wire springs installed and hood stays up just fine

Back