My neighbor is selling his 73 Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolandmhall

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Coupe - Restomod
Here are some pics of that Mustang. It's a 73. He said that it runs, just needs the gas tank replaced. He's wanting 6k for it. If he wants to move it, I know he'll come down. It's been sitting outside all winter.

I did check the vin. It's an H Code car. Under that black paint it looks like it was the original burnt orange color.

The frame, floor pans, torque boxes, K member, Core Support, etc all appear to be very solid. All of the parts are there. I didn't get a picture of the front, but it still has the lights in the grill (they work) and all trim parts are still on the vehicle.

It's at my neighbor's house across the street

IMG_20150323_150652.jpg

IMG_20150323_150905.jpg

IMG_20150323_150708.jpg

IMG_20150323_150919.jpg

IMG_20150323_151126.jpg

IMG_20150323_151001.jpg

IMG_20150323_151008.jpg

Pictures of the front seats

IMG_20150323_151014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the grill support does not appear to be for a 73- it is hard to tell but the rear bumper looks tucked in close like a 71-72 also.

All of these are mods that some 73 owners (myself include) perform because we prefer the look of the 71-72 grill and bumpers-but it may also be an indication of something more sinister. Buyers should insist on VIN verification on cars like this

The rear bumper is bent to Hell and missing the bumperettes, so it's tough to tell what year it could be from. It also looks like it might have black paint in the recesses of the taillights, which also indicates pre-'73. The lack of fender/trunk badges, along with the honeycomb taillight panel trim and front grille with sport lamps might indicate the presence of Mach 1, as well.

I agree - I'd want a look at the VIN and some better pictures before making any kind of definitive statements about potential value or anything.

Looks to be a really good starting project from the pictures. Did you say burnt orange under that paint? Thats the best color on these cars! (my opinion has nothing to do with the color of my car... lol)
It's the color of your car under that paint

The rear bumper is bent to Hell and missing the bumperettes, so it's tough to tell what year it could be from. It also looks like it might have black paint in the recesses of the taillights, which also indicates pre-'73. The lack of fender/trunk badges, along with the honeycomb taillight panel trim and front grille with sport lamps might indicate the presence of Mach 1, as well.

I agree - I'd want a look at the VIN and some better pictures before making any kind of definitive statements about potential value or anything.
I probably misquoted the year. It does have a Mach 1 hood on it. Next chance I get I'll get more pics

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries - it's tough to tell by the pics, since most of the singularly identifying differences are left out and/or hard to spot to the untrained eye. Besides, if he told you it was a '73, that's what you go with until you verify the VIN or find out otherwise. ;) :D

'71-2-3 parts are interchangeable, for the most part... and it wouldn't be the first time someone's taken one model year and made it look like another model year. Even Toby Halicki (Gone in 60 Seconds) put a '73 grille on a '71-'72 for his movie. :p

I took some more pictures of that Mustang today. ONE thing he did tell me is that when he bought the car, they told him the front end was changed. He said it's a 71, so hell I can't really be sure of the year, but I did get a pic of the VIN.

DSCF1613.JPG

DSCF1615.JPG

DSCF1617.JPG

DSCF1618.JPG

DSCF1622.JPG

DSCF1621.JPG

Pull up the fenders to see the VINs stamped on the shock towers. I'll lay money that they don't match the dashboard VIN. In fact, I'd wager the dashboard VIN doesn't match the door sticker, either. I'm guessing the dash cover is from the '73, and the car is a '71 as he said.

If he has a clean title that matches at least one of the VINs on the car, it might not be so bad. But if he either doesn't have a title, or the title VIN doesn't match anything on the car, Good Luck!

He said that he had a title. I haven't seen it. That should definitely tell us the year on it.

Back