Media Blasting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamageLn

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1
2001 Ford Mustang Cobra
2006 S281 Saleen
Those of you who do your own blasting what do you use when blasting? I have a decent size blaster and will be blasting out some inner structure and rails while they are exposed in the next couple of weeks and coating it with Rust Bullet. Then buttoning up the rear before proceeding forward with the car.

Picture of areas in question

I used the black diamond aggressive blast material on the structure of my car and was happy with how it preformed, it can be bought in a 50lf bag at northern tool at a reasonable price. Looks like you got a nice project ahead of you, good luck.

I used the black diamond aggressive blast material on the structure of my car and was happy with how it preformed, it can be bought in a 50lf bag at northern tool at a reasonable price. Looks like you got a nice project ahead of you, good luck.
Thanks for the info! I have a Northern Tool roughly 30 minutes away, that would work out wonderfully!

Yeah it's a lot of work but the upside is, it's what I do for a living, the down.... Hard to do when you leave work and come home to do more :)

I hated cutting the quarter panel off but the owner of the car before me did a horrible job repairing it from the damage it had and I deemed it replaceable, as I felt it would have taken way to much effort to massage it all out and I knew there was a minor issue with the wheel house, I've had all the parts to do this car for years, i've just been dragging my feet, and now it's time to handle it *again*

I also used the Black Diamond on my parts, I was really happy with it as well, and its cheap!! Just wear respirator and mask, or hood!!!
All the above! Probably some gloves and sleeves I would imagine? I'm really looking forward to this, I was hoping to go along the lines of Saturday Morning Garage but I don't really have anyone to help me film while doing repairs, so most likely any video will be of *before* and *afters* but there will without a doubt be photos of everything along the way

Where are you, perhaps there is a member nearby that would like to be your cameraman?

(If you were within an hour of Nashville, I would be willing)
Tampa, FL.

I can't quite make it to Florida in an hour-sorry
LoL I wouldn't expect ya to :)

I can bribe a buddy to get on it for me

Blasting the structure is good but I would stay away from the outer body panels. If you lay a flat piece of metal down and blast it on one side you will see why. It is like tiny little ball peen hammers curling the metal up because of the expansion on the outside. It is too easy to strip and sand the outside and blast the rusty places a little but you will regret using on the outside.

An opinion like everyone has but I have seen bad results and some paint manufacturers will not warranty the paint if you blast the outside.

David

Back