CNN; Shelby Find

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I could find something like that! :dodgy:

To share an interesting story. I know of and have seen a 68 Shelby GT500 KR (1 of 582) sitting in a storage trailer about 3 hours drive from my house. The gentlemen has had it since 78 when the original owner sold it to him after a minor impact to the nose of the car that split the fiberglass above the grill. Everything is with this car including the hubcaps. It is blue with a white interior and top. Something got to the interior and chewed it all up, but it is all still there. Still has the original 428 Interceptor and fours speed in it. I call the guy periodically to see if he is ready to talk reasonable numbers for a shelby needing restoration. The guy keeps saying mid six figures. It will cost 100K just to restore to the right caliber so his figure is not reasonable. This is one of those guys that has several hundred very desireable cars and says that he is going to sell them to make his millions, but ends up sitting on them until they are so far gone they cannot be saved. I know we all know this story, but their has to be someway to get through to him. It may just be time. Almost three years now I have been calling him.

He will die and the cars will go to auction and someone will get a good deal. I know that's cold but it happens a lot and the cars will hopefully go to good homes.

quote=bkdunha;18517]

To share an interesting story. I know of and have seen a 68 Shelby GT500 KR (1 of 582) sitting in a storage trailer about 3 hours drive from my house. The gentlemen has had it since 78 when the original owner sold it to him after a minor impact to the nose of the car that split the fiberglass above the grill. Everything is with this car including the hubcaps. It is blue with a white interior and top. Something got to the interior and chewed it all up, but it is all still there. Still has the original 428 Interceptor and fours speed in it. I call the guy periodically to see if he is ready to talk reasonable numbers for a shelby needing restoration. The guy keeps saying mid six figures. It will cost 100K just to restore to the right caliber so his figure is not reasonable. This is one of those guys that has several hundred very desireable cars and says that he is going to sell them to make his millions, but ends up sitting on them until they are so far gone they cannot be saved. I know we all know this story, but their has to be someway to get through to him. It may just be time. Almost three years now I have been calling him.

B...Given the fact that now a days you can buy a Brand new 67 or 68 shell & almost all of the parts are available to build a BRAND SPANKING NEW shelby clone..Which by the way if you use some of the updated components for susp etc. will blow the doors off any stock oem shelby.ride, power, & comfort wise.All for under 6 figures..My 72 is the last restoration for me..& the only reason I'm doing it is because it has so much sentimental value as well as being a #s matching rare car...If they made a new 72 fastback shell thats the way I would have went !!!! HANDS DOWN !! Being in the know Before I would ever plunk down 6 figures for a used real shelby I'll build a brand spanking new one..Have it done in less than 8 months not years to restore a real one..Put the one I build next to a real one & I beg you tell the difference between the two just from the exterior..People like that guy deserve to take their junk with them to the grave..But hey some people just gotta have the real thing and as they say " there's a seat for every ass" Be smart & spend your money wisely ! JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I know of a house in the in San Diego were their is 67 68kr 70 Shelby GT 500s and 70 Cougar Eliminator 428 4 speed 63 Studebaker Avanti R2 with factory Paxton blower just baking in the sun. I have known about them for at least 15 years. You know the deal going to restore some day. The guy is got to be 70 years old. For years I kept it to my self thinking I would get lucky one day. Just to find out in the local Mustang world every body has been trying to buy them for years:mad:. So every now and then I drive by and get denied.

Scott,

I can appreciate your perspective. I honestly have to say though that bringing something back from the past has some value to me. Yes, you can go the route you bring up, but It will always be a clone. It will drive and ride nice and will probably out perform an original in all aspects. It is just knowing that you have located a rare car and brought it back to its former self that is worth the challenge and expense to me. I honestly will probably never have the opportuinity to experience this, but the hope and the dream are what keeps me going. For now the enjoyment and sentiment of my current cars keeps me a happy person.

Scott,

I can appreciate your perspective. I honestly have to say though that bringing something back from the past has some value to me. Yes, you can go the route you bring up, but It will always be a clone. It will drive and ride nice and will probably out perform an original in all aspects. It is just knowing that you have located a rare car and brought it back to its former self that is worth the challenge and expense to me. I honestly will probably never have the opportuinity to experience this, but the hope and the dream are what keeps me going. For now the enjoyment and sentiment of my current cars keeps me a happy person.
I agree there are postive points to both, but it's nice to know you have an original. Sort of compares to breast implants!

I agree there are postive points to both, but it's nice to know you have an original. Sort of compares to breast implants!

Guess I am on the fence on this one I like them both. REAL or Fake:angel:

Scott,

B..understood..I used to feel that way when i was younger & less knowledgeable..& first starting out ..after doing 50 or so restorations over the course of my career and truly knowing first hand what it takes..To restore vs build new That feeling is long gone..Unless you can do all the work your self there's much risk involved..You need deep pockets to do it right !

Here's a nice article about restoration cost

http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/restoration_cost.htm

Guess I am on the fence on this one I like them both. REAL or Fake:angel:
TN ..agreed :p But No fence here Like em both !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back