351 Q Code 4V 4300D Rebuild Advice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugbyguytx

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code Stang.
Over the past year we have been giving the 1972 Mach 1 my wife inherited from her father some love it needed. He was the original owner and the carb (4300D) has been rebuilt quite a few times in the last 40+ years. I have the shop manuals and did a rebuild and tune-up according to factory book guidance and I still have some issues with the accelerator pump leaking from time to time and the float sticking causing the fuel to squirt out the vents... in other words, the rebuild I did just didnt fit the bill. I did some searching, chatting, calling and I found champion carburetors.

Has anyone used their ship, rebuild, return service?

My concern is shipping a numbers-matching 4300D carb considering how hard it is to find these.

I would recommend these guys, they rebuilt my 4300 that I sent them. Here is a pic when returned. Know a lot of guys who have used them with good success and they are very reasonable.

https://www.nationalcarburetors.com/

2qjgkmx.jpg

I would recommend these guys, they rebuilt my 4300 that I sent them. Here is a pic when returned. Know a lot of guys who have used them with good success and they are very reasonable.

https://www.nationalcarburetors.com/

2qjgkmx.jpg
Thanks Jeff. I will give them a shout. Did they resurface/repaint your carb? Champion says they coat it in the end to prevent future degradation, etc.

Could be hype-bs....

These guys actually plate the carb where most rebuilders paint them. When you talk to them tell them you want it plated like original and it will return like mine. They don't charge any extra for this.

Jeff, looks like they did a really good job and paid attention to details on your carb.

I paid over $400.00 to have my 4300D rebuilt by a guy recommended by my builder, he was suppose to specialize in Autolite Carbs. It came back looking like new, a few weeks after putting it on, started having the dreaded fuel smell, leaks and hard starting. Contacted the guy who rebuilt it and he explained that's just the norm for the 4300D's, you have to learn to live with it. I yanked it off and put an Edlebrock on, not correct but much, much better performance and starting than the 4300D my engine had on it. The 4300D sets on a shelve in the garage where it's doing just fine. My recommendation is if you're set on keeping the 4300D on it, do the research and find the right place to have it rebuilt. Sounds like you've found that place.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, looks like they did a really good job and paid attention to details on your carb.

I paid over $400.00 to have my 4300D rebuilt by a guy recommended by my builder, he was suppose to specialize in Autolite Carbs. It came back looking like new, a few weeks after putting it on, started having the dreaded fuel smell, leaks and hard starting. Contacted the guy who rebuilt it and he explained that's just the norm for the 4300D's, you have to learn to live with it. I yanked it off and put an Edlebrock on, not correct but much, much better performance and starting than the 4300D my engine had on it. The 4300D sets on a shelve in the garage where it's doing just fine. My recommendation is if you're set on keeping the 4300D on it, do the research and find the right place to have it rebuilt. Sounds like you've found that place.

Jim
Jim which Edlebrock did you put on yours? What code is your 351?

Back