P/S Gear box- where can I get it rebuilt?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkhorse71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
This is a while I'm at it deal, and since I have the motor out and I plan on using an aftermarket power steering pump to go with my serpentine belt set up, I would like to have my gear box rebuilt so I dont have to drive with just using my pinkie (ha).

Are there rebuilders that will do machining on some of the internals? If that is rarely necessary, and if anyone knows of a rebuild kit, I would certianly do it myself.

Or are there any after market units for us Clyde drivers? Researching this has been rather tedious.

Thanks for the insite,

Chaz

My local Napa dealer sent my box to cardone to be rebuilt. I wanted my box back as it is the "fast" box. Cost including freight was $200.00. The rebuild lit is available through O'reillys. I originally rebuilt mine. I would have been ok if I'd not changed the roller bearing press-in, press out, and a real PITA. The Ford manual said not to change it unless it was damaged. But like a DA, I changed it. I reassembled it, another PITA, and the fit was too tight, couldn't set lash properly and too much drag when rotated.

Chuck

And secondly, what causes the 'whine' out of the power steering pump on slow, hard cutting of the wheel?

Will and upgraded power steering pump fix this? Seems like I've been through 3 that do that...

My local Napa dealer sent my box to cardone to be rebuilt. I wanted my box back as it is the "fast" box. Cost including freight was $200.00. The rebuild lit is available through O'reillys. I originally rebuilt mine. I would have been ok if I'd not changed the roller bearing press-in, press out, and a real PITA. The Ford manual said not to change it unless it was damaged. But like a DA, I changed it. I reassembled it, another PITA, and the fit was too tight, couldn't set lash properly and too much drag when rotated.

Chuck
+1 I tried to rebuild mine also,hated it! I took it to Dallas Mustang and had them send it out,about the same price,200.00 + the kit that I messed up !

Mustang 5.jpg

I thinking about sending mine to AGR and see if they will rebuild it. They can change your steering ratio and re-valve it for better road feel. Another place that I have heard alot of good things about is http://lee-powersteering.com/index.htm . It's in California though and I afraid shipping would kill me since I'm in Arkansas, AGR is in Texas, so that's my determining factor.

Thanks for the info, I need to have mine rebuilt. I was going to do it myself but maybe not now!!!!

i also tried rebuilding mine,the 200 bucks beats the aggravation of putting that thing back together

Well, I called Lee manufacturing today and he was pretty great to talk to on the phone. He said he could even take my standard gear box and make it a variable ratio box for an additional $60 or so. So a little north of $300. Yes I'm scared of shipping too, but, if it makes it a charm to drive..

He actually said he would do some research and call me back.

Now you got me thinking on AGR since they are only a couple hours away.....

Chaz

Back