Factory quality of an original kept 1973 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 T5 Q-Code 4-Speed
Hi 71-73-fanatics,

I was lucky to be allowed to inspect at Retro Classics in Stuttgart (a famous car show in Germany for all kinds of old cars) an original pristine 1973 Mach 1 Sportsroof in every detail. He had only 55 tkm on the clock and was down to a documented little repair still in unrestored condition. What a great opportunity! The seller of Belgium was very nice and let me document everything. What I found amazing and comforting at the same time: the original factory setting was amazing sloppy !!!

I had already discovered at my resto at various points that not everything from the plant was taken accurately compared to today's standars of automobile manufacturing. For example, the original valve cover, the vapor canister and also the engine compartment showed some considerable (and not caused by the predecessor) paint defects such as runners and paint noses! At the edge of the upper quarter panel towards the rear window where the trim strip is inserted there is also an odd gap which quite not fit into the line. I was just been annoyed that the predecessor has not worked well on the preparatory work for his painting. How can you be so stupid - I thought ... BUT!

This Mustang at the show had it on both sides! The paint quality varied amazingly over the whole car - high-luster quality is something other ... The worst on the left fender extension - a big bad laquer runner. Runners were also in the original engine compartment and on the valve covers - like on mine!

The sticker of the ignition timing was glued directly onto the lid. I've seen it only once like that - that is a total of 3 locations where it can occur depending. Because of the the mood of the worker or has it changed from time to time by plant? The third location is to the right of the cowls.

Another one remarkable was the original! missing Mustang emblem on the left. The front section of the stripes around the side markers where also of great interest - in the official Mustang brochure of 73 there are 2 different versions - so there is both and both may be true. The antenna calms me - this is as original as mine. I would not have thought there has to be round base because the common variant for the 71-73s is square. Mine is from April like this! Perhaps something special for european mustangs...

What I mean with this post is simple: I do not want to badmouth our big buddies! I LOVE mine and yours too - I love them all with all their special features! I want to achieve just the opposite!

Our current restoration efforts that we (mostly) seek and reach (usually) now are often far exceed from the quality which came directly from the factory in the 70ies! So do not think too much about it when you found something unclear - if in doubt of something it perhaps was original like that indeed. Even if it does not shows on your Marti or anywhere else - the local dealer often spoke a word after delivery too and perhaps played a little around with the screwdriver. A good example is the front or rear spoiler. These are also recorded nowhere, so to speak, but could be installed as a dealer option. This also original!

And if a bad laquer runner happens during your restoration, then hey! Stay cool! Don't cry! This could now be much more original as it was directly from the plant :D A good basis for argumentation on car show and all the know-alls out there ... ;) :p

But now the pictures:

Cheers,

Tim

At the edge of the upper quarter panel towards the rear window where the trim strip is inserted there is also an odd gap which quite not fit into the line. I was just been annoyed that the predecessor has not worked well on the preparatory work for his painting. How can you be so stupid - I thought ... BUT!
This Mustang at the show had it on both sides!
This is normal for any factory '71-73. The unevenness next to the window trim and just above the quarter window is where lead was applied between

the quarter panel and roof joint. This photo shows an unmodified, factory seam with the lead removed:

2w1xjqh.jpg

Ever wondered why the lead has a tendency to crack at the quarter window on original cars? Just look at the angled cut in the panel and the two lousy tack welds from factory. The area is chock full of stress risers, not to mention a lousy place to get the lead tinned just right:

2utkq50.jpg

If you've ever fitted a quarter panel to one of these cars, it becomes painfully apparent just how poorly the quarter panel window edge matches up to the same line on the roof. This is the factory quarter joint - again, lead removed. I removed a lot of lead from that joint in the window channel:

21ltw6f.jpg

The replacement panel sits just about as rough:

169pwur.jpg

I believe Lincoln liked to boast that any of their cars ordered without vinyl roofs required additional man hours to handcraft these joints at the roof. Sure it did - just like any other Ford with an exposed metal roof.

It's the vinyl-roof cars that got the short end of the stick: They'd fill up the ends with lead, then rough out the rest with plastic filler, as you see here:

7622191594_5cb61d8c71_b.jpg

-Kurt

Agree, great job of documenting and sharing. We often forget that these cars only came with a 12,000 mile/ 12 month warranty which ever came first for a reason.

Great post Tim! Thanks for sharing.

I think I might actually know this car. Was it from The Mustang Garage in Zolder?

These cars like every other car back then was pretty much thrown together assembly line workers didn't have time to be precise with their work and good enough was the accepted standard. Quality was most definitely NOT job 1. That was the way it was throughout the auto industry in the sixties and seventies. Today we have the time to be picky and fix all these less then perfect cars.

thank you for this awesome addition - now it comes clear - great ::thumb::

No wonder why it is like that... :-/
I wouldn't be too disheartened about the way Ford finished the lead here. You have to admire that the production line could spit out the cars as fast as they did and still finish the lead line this well over the rough joints.

Today we have the time to be picky and fix all these less then perfect cars.
Or we have bean-counter methods of building new cars that avoids having to use methods requiring the slightest of artisan talents, e.g.: bare plastic valve covers, and roof seams filled in with rubber strips (YECH!):

bareroof.jpg

I'll have it the old way, thank you - drips and all!

-Kurt

P.S.: I rented a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 this week. It has a plastic hood. Speaking of bean counting...

Thanks for taking the time to document it. Did you get any interior shots?

BTW, I had no idea the roof was a separate piece. Learn something every day.
Hi,

I have a lot of pictures/video's from that car, what do you need exactly?

dancebanana

These cars like every other car back then was pretty much thrown together assembly line workers didn't have time to be precise with their work and good enough was the accepted standard. Quality was most definitely NOT job 1. That was the way it was throughout the auto industry in the sixties and seventies. Today we have the time to be picky and fix all these less then perfect cars.

Mr Mach 1 hit the nail on the head. Don't be disheartened by what you see. This was typical of what was being built by the "Big Three" in the 60's and 70's. No laser guided robotics making precision welds and measurements. Made no difference to the line worker if it was a Hemi Cuda, Cobra Jet Mustang, Z-28 Camaro, or a station wagon. They had a production schedule to keep and sometimes just seconds to install their part on an endless line of vehicles that WERE going to be built and out the door that day!

I have friends who have restored Chrysler and GM products and have heard the same horror stories about missing welds, poor fitment of body panels, patch jobs to cover mistakes, etc. Got to remember, none of these cars were considered "Collector" cars then. They got the same attention from the line worker as a 4 door sedan or a pick-up truck.

I'm Thankful that 40+ years later we still have a lot of these Mustangs that have survived and waiting for us to shower them with our Love and a lot of new parts and money! LOL

Agree, great job of documenting and sharing. We often forget that these cars only came with a 12,000 mile/ 12 month warranty which ever came first for a reason.
Yes, and if most families were like mine in the 60's and 70's you traded cars after about three years. Back then a three year car loan was average and most people were looking to buy a new car again after three years.

Cars back then were never intended to last 40+ years. It still amazes me that so many old cars survived as well as they did. We are all lucky to be caretakers of these great cars of the past.

Tim- do have have a closer picture of the Marti report for this car? I can't quite make out the details. I'd like to see what options it came with.

Thanks for the great discussion here guys ::thumb::

Great post Tim! Thanks for sharing.

I think I might actually know this car. Was it from The Mustang Garage in Zolder?
Uh, sorry, I don't know anymore - I was so fixed on that car... ;)

thank you for this awesome addition - now it comes clear - great ::thumb::

No wonder why it is like that... :-/
I wouldn't be too disheartened about the way Ford finished the lead here. You have to admire that the production line could spit out the cars as fast as they did and still finish the lead line this well over the rough joints.

Mr Mach 1 hit the nail on the head. Don't be disheartened by what you see. This was typical of what was being built by the "Big Three" in the 60's and 70's. No laser guided robotics making precision welds and measurements. Made no difference to the line worker if it was a Hemi Cuda, Cobra Jet Mustang, Z-28 Camaro, or a station wagon. They had a production schedule to keep and sometimes just seconds to install their part on an endless line of vehicles that WERE going to be built and out the door that day!

I have friends who have restored Chrysler and GM products and have heard the same horror stories about missing welds, poor fitment of body panels, patch jobs to cover mistakes, etc. Got to remember, none of these cars were considered "Collector" cars then. They got the same attention from the line worker as a 4 door sedan or a pick-up truck.

I'm Thankful that 40+ years later we still have a lot of these Mustangs that have survived and waiting for us to shower them with our Love and a lot of new parts and money! LOL

Oh - I don't wanted to be understood like this, sorry! I am not disheartened about my car because it have some spots like this from the factory - quite the opposite! I like it much more BECAUSE it is like it is. This little imperfections from the factory makes it much more adorable as it would be all over perfect! It was not my intention to badmouth it but to have a detailed look on the factory standards in the good old time. And to say to you guys if something unusual or unperfect happen through your restoration it would not be as bad as you might have thought of it the first time it happens...

Or we have bean-counter methods of building new cars that avoids having to use methods requiring the slightest of artisan talents, e.g.: bare plastic valve covers, and roof seams filled in with rubber strips (YECH!):

bareroof.jpg

I'll have it the old way, thank you - drips and all!

-Kurt

P.S.: I rented a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 this week. It has a plastic hood. Speaking of bean counting...

Oh yes, that's another story... I like the good old craftmanship like it was on our cars. The new RAM has a plastic hood? Really?!? Uh - thank god the one of my 2003 RAM is from good old metal - it is relatively thin though compared to my Mustangs one...

Thanks for taking the time to document it. Did you get any interior shots?

BTW, I had no idea the roof was a separate piece. Learn something every day.

No, sorry, Will - that was not on my priority list because my interior is completely done and is in ginger. Perhaps Eddy from Belgium have some...

Tim- do have have a closer picture of the Marti report for this car? I can't quite make out the details. I'd like to see what options it came with.
I will post a bigger one - wait a minute, please... ;)

Steve,

any better?

You could even see me in the right of the door tag :D

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Back