Has anyone twisted their body hooking up?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
As I've continued to search for more traction, I believe I may have twisted my car's body. I added a set of Caltracs, and I am now seeing a distinct bulge on the driver side above the rear corner of the back window. On the opposite side is a small indention.

No cracking of the paint, so maybe they were there? It is possible I didn't notice them, but that would be uncharacteristic of me.

I already have subframe connectors welded in and I checked-all welds are good still.

What's my next step to prevent more damage?

Jeff, my car cracked in same place after I put my 408 in. Paint on corner of roof cracked, rear quarter cracked and the top of my strut tower cracked. This all happened since my 408 and sub frame connectors were added. Also small crack above windshield in corner. My paint is going to hell!! Not sure what to do about. I will be repainting mine in few years and don't want to have same problem. So, no you are not alone. And mine is really noticeable at top factory seam of rear quarter panel and roof.

Might be time to back half the car. You are transmitting torque thru the body from the rear frame rails and it's pulling on the quarter panels and roof. Need to reinforce the rear axle attaching points and find a way to move the torque. A torque arm from the rear axle up to the trans cross member would definitely help.

I'd reach out to someone like Chris Alston Chassisworks.

https://cachassisworks.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a semi uni body 72 fire-bird 1/4 mi car back in the day.

Was running Chevy 427 Alcohol injected 12bolt posi /muncie 4sp W/10 in slicks.

Car ran 10.90s or better

I did sub frame connectors and full cage.

I think a cage welded properly into a stang with SF connectors will take the "uni-body" out of the equation IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am afraid a cage and possibly even back halfing the car may be in order- I found a crack in the passenger side rear corner of the floorboard at the trunk divider. I really would like to keep my leaf spring suspension so I'm going to investigate a bit into stronger frame rails and an additional crossmember with a bit of triangulation.

Absolutely! I typically twist my body while dancing hoping to hook up with wimmen all the time!

Absolutely! I typically twist my body while dancing hoping to hook up with wimmen all the time!
Back in the early 70's I dated a young lady with a MG Midget. One night....oh, never mind....!

Back in the 70's, before all the safety rules, I would stand at the starting line at Bristol to watch the cars launch. I remember Jack Roush had a Maverick with a 351 in Pro stock at the time. When he would launch even with cage you could see the right quarter buckle and twist. It is physics equal and opposite reaction. Cage will help but high horse power cars that hook are going to twist.

David

I am afraid a cage and possibly even back halfing the car may be in order- I found a crack in the passenger side rear corner of the floorboard at the trunk divider. I really would like to keep my leaf spring suspension so I'm going to investigate a bit into stronger frame rails and an additional crossmember with a bit of triangulation.
Have a look here http://www.sn65.com/Chassis%20Design%20101.htm Do phase 1 & 2 Weld up all the seams including body panels if you can (roof to quarter, door post, hinge piller to rocker) then go from there, you may not need to backhalf the car I'd do that only as a last resort..

Back