Painting Choices

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang

Reaction score
My Car
I have a 1973 Mustang Coupe that I am fixing up.
I have a 73' Mustang Coupe, it needs very little body word done, and it has the NASA hood on it. I think I am going to do a dark blue for the primary color, but I'm stumped on where I should do stripes, if any.

Thanks,

Travis

You have a blank canvas do a scheme that YOU like.

Google 71 72 or 73 mustang "photos" for inspiration.

I have a 73 coup and am doing two tone silver/black with

no stripes only "Boss 351 Mustang" callouts on front fenders.

Not correct but what I want and most ppl know no different.

My car is a pure hotrod and I do my own thing call it a tribute boss is fine

no stripes they have been done to death IMO.

Thanks for the advice, I have been thinking I might make a coupe Mach 1 imitation. Where did you buy your spoiler from?

Take your time deciding what and where you want stripes, especially if you are going to paint them on. It gets expensive if you change your mind. I went with traditional Mach1 stripes on mine.

-Travis

Are you thinking racing stripes, body side stripes, or something else?

A Mach 1 tribute car makes no sense to me because the only body style that came as a Mach 1 was the sports roof body, not any coupe, not any convertible. Putting Mach 1 decals on those body styles perpuates the idea that all 71-73 mustangs are Mach 1s. It's totally fine to add spoilers, side stripes and whatever else but please leave the Mach 1 decals out of the plan. It's like putting Type R decals on Honda Civics and Integras. It may look cool but gets snickers from others that know better. Not trying to be a Mach 1 snob. I am trying to keep it "real" in portraying good information as we represent with our cars. However, it's your car so do what you like. My advice is just food for thought.

Good luck with it and post some pics as you progress.

Since seeing Mach 1 stickers on cars they don't belong on tends to bug the crap out of me when I see them, I have to echo what Don said. If Ford would've offered the Mach 1 as anything other than a fastback with its own VIN code body designation, then it wouldn't be a big deal to see coupes and verts with them. I personally think the 'performance/trim' package should've been offered across the board... even though Shelby didn't make any coupes, he did offer 'verts, after all.

Do they look cool? Absolutely. But as Don pointed out, stickers don't make a car more than it is.

The choice is completely up to you, of course - they're still just decals, after all.

Well lets all remember that Ford themselves tuned up a Pinto in 1974 and called it a "Mach 1", I guess I'm all for retro-mods as I took a '72 FB and cloned it into a "Boss 351". I say if you like it and its your money, do it. I'm just glad we all keep these cars out of the junk yards. I personally like stripes.:cool:

I guess I'm all for retro-mods as I took a '72 FB and cloned it into a "Boss 351".
Yes - but at least it's a fastback... just like all Boss 351s were.

I say if you like it and its your money, do it. I'm just glad we all keep these cars out of the junk yards. I personally like stripes. :cool:
Hey - nobody's telling nobody not to do nothing they don't want to do. [goes back and counts all the 'negatives' in this sentence... wow] ;) :D

Just saying to be prepared for some potential flack from 'purists' when they see Mach 1 stickers where they never would've been in from the factory. The worst ones to watch out for are the know-it-all Vintage Mustangers - they're usually the ones by the '66 coupes with skinny white walls & 6-cylinders arguing that early Mustangs never came with 5 bolt lug-patterns.

Agree Don! I am sure you saw this...must have made you cringe!!

2con81g.jpg

2a9em4y.jpg

Well lets all remember that Ford themselves tuned up a Pinto in 1974 and called it a "Mach 1", I guess I'm all for retro-mods as I took a '72 FB and cloned it into a "Boss 351". I say if you like it and its your money, do it. I'm just glad we all keep these cars out of the junk yards. I personally like stripes.:cool:
If a Pinto Mach 1 came from the factory that way then that's fine because it truly was/is a Mach 1 - as absurd as that was for Ford to do such a thing. ROFL

All I'm saying is keep it real in that a Mach 1 tribute should look like a Mach 1 when it is done. A Boss 351 clone is fine as long as it looks like a Boss 351.

A 7123 coupe or convertible can NEVER look like Mach 1 because a Mach 1 was never a coupe or convertible. So yeah, it does drive me nuts to promote bad information about our cars especially since one of the purposes of this site is to put out the most accurate info possible about our cars.

Would anyone cringe, laugh hysterically or shake their head in disbelief if I put Mach 1 decals on the rear quarters of my 65 vert?

What about my 05 vert?

How about on my Honda Accord? lollerz

Actually, it would be good for 5-7 bhp on the Honda. rofl

Do it, Ricer! ::thumb::

Actually, it would be good for 5-7 bhp on the Honda. rofl

Do it, Ricer! ::thumb::
The fart can exhaust would clash with a Mach 1 decal but if I added Type R decals...BAM, instant street cred!

This may be my last post!

So much negativity from Administrators and Moderators!

If some 71-3 coupe or vert owner wants to do Mach1 stripes or decals on their car

...whatever go for it.... your car/your money...I've seen it done and yes rolled my eyes

but it's a tribute car not a clone.

My sisters car is a 70 fastback born with a 302 and now it calls out "BOSS 427' on the fender

does that make you wanna spew?:

eitu88.jpg

Yes it has a 427 crate motor in it but Ford never offered that in 70

so it's a joke really. The car gets praise at every car show but is not

correct in any way so only a purist would puke.

My 73 coupe will NOT have any "Mach1" call-outs on it anywhere but it will

have "Boss 351 Mustang" decals on the front fenders that is not correct

but the same joke, just a resto-mod car not taken seriously by purists IMO.

106ztsk.jpg

I'm really looking forward to all the H&D replies especially from the

Moderators and the Administrators.

Most Entertaining

Back