Driving on Old Tires - How Dangerous?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

Stumbled on this Website, and i thought it offered good basic practical advice.

ALSO - If you look to the far right hand side of the page, it offers more good advice on topics such as choosing a good Body repair shop and good mechanics shop as well. Other info is available as well.

Hope you find it all useful and helpful.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

Greg.:)

Thanks for the information I've already decided to replace my (looking like brand new) tires ASAP. I checked the code and they are 21 years old and were 4 years old when purchased (what I ASSUMED were) new. I'll not make that mistake again.

I guess I have broken the rule by more than anyone. I have a 1950 Ford with its original set of tires on it and they never leak down and I have driven to several shows. The longest trip was about 50 miles each way but I did not drive fast 45 or so. It still has the original belts and hoses also. It was one of those barn finds that was sitting up on blocks from 1954 until 1996 when I got it with a little over 16,000 miles. It could be the second set of tires but the spare is definitely the original. It was like a time capsule it still had the factory slip cover on the front seat with the like hat pins to hold it in place. Engine was fine just had gas tank hot tanked at radiator shop and had to change the voltage regulator. Even the condenser was still good. I have some NOS Goodyear RWL F-70 X 14 and they just fell apart sitting. I think the older tires had more natural rubber in them and also they have the natural rubber red tubes inside.

David

I understand UV rays age tyres. I have tyres dating back to 1996 on my Lotus Esprit. I went to get them changed at the local tyre fitter and they said the tyres size is no longer made. They also said the tyres are perfect and didn't need replacing. There are no cracks on the side walls and the tread is 9mm. The car's been garaged since new and doesn't get much sun, so they've lasted better than others. I will try and get them changed to a similar size some time, their age still worries me.

I understand UV rays age tyres. I have tyres dating back to 1996 on my Lotus Esprit. I went to get them changed at the local tyre fitter and they said the tyres size is no longer made. They also said the tyres are perfect and didn't need replacing. There are no cracks on the side walls and the tread is 9mm. The car's been garaged since new and doesn't get much sun, so they've lasted better than others. I will try and get them changed to a similar size some time, their age still worries me.
What size tires do you have the Michelin metrics?

Coker tire has about every size for older cars even the metrics if you want to keep orig..

David

Coker tire has about every size for older cars even the metrics if you want to keep orig..

... but they will be glad to club you over the head to get to your TRX-shod wallet.

They're absurdly expensive. Sadly, that's why you never see the Fox Mustangs with them anymore.

... but they will be glad to club you over the head to get to your TRX-shod wallet.

They're absurdly expensive. Sadly, that's why you never see the Fox Mustangs with them anymore.
You speak the truth

All of Coker tires are very expensive. After all this stuff about tire life span I'm not going to spend my hard earned cash on reproduction WIDE OVALS so I can throw them away long before they're worn out. I'll pick up some BFG TA's at the local tire outlet and check the date on them before they mount them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Old bias ply tires will always last longer " age wise, not milage" than steel belted tires...Steel belted tires depend on the steel knitting inside holding together, and reason why people have a lot of blow outs on old used steel belted tires cause some folks don't rotate them the right way, once a steel belted tire gets use to going one way, then gets rotated or sold to some one that puts the tire on the wrong side of the car " than it was use to going" the steel gets loose in the tire and falls apart.

I remember my dad buying some nice " out of the sun" like new tires for his truck...We mounted them and with in a day of driving, they started to egg out and all of them exploded.. My dad just took home a old barn find, 1950 ford with bias ply's from the 60's on it, they drive a little square till they warm up and stop bouncing.. but they still holding up great " not nothing i would truck on highway" lmao.. Steel belted tires nit just falls apart and snaps in spots due to fatigue , or they rust up inside and fall apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here some good tips on tires on the Michelin web site. Here the link. Also if you are looking for tires for a daily driver. The defender tire is excellent I have them on my car and the grip on the road great in rain and snow and are very long wearing.

http://us.michelinman.com/US/en/help/do-I-need-new-tires.html

John J

I must be lucky but I'm not buying into the old tire crud for garage kept cars. My 73 original tires looked good when they were 20 years old when removed from service and still hold air on my 71. The "NEW" tires on my 73 are 20 years old and still handle burn outs at cruising the coast EVERY year. My only concession I put new tires when I drove across the country. Like some of you I have been going to shows for 30 years and hear just as many blowouts on new as old tires.

Back