3 point seatbelt conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did read an article in Mustang Monthly about a should belt conversion, I think it was on a 67 convertible.

I'd love to do that with my vert also, but don't want it to look like a hack job or something out of place , it has to look like it belongs.

Where would you anchor the shoulder belt? I have seen some who used later factory seats with integral seat belts. Maybe that's a possibility. I feel way less than secure with a nearly 40 year old lap belt.

Where would you anchor the shoulder belt? I have seen some who used later factory seats with integral seat belts. Maybe that's a possibility. I feel way less than secure with a nearly 40 year old lap belt.
I know what your saying Jeff.....especially when someone cuts in front of me and you have to hit the brakes.

I would assume similar to a Fox body mustang, just under the rear quarter window above the crank.

I felt slightly insecure doing 105 mph at the dragstrip, with cement walls everywhere.

The lap belt has to go

here is another for almost double the price, must be twice as good

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300542096406&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed the 3 point set in my 73 conv. this weekend. Very pleased with results. Buckles look period original though don't match what I took out. Wanted the shoulder harness and didn't like the safety aspects of 40 year old belts. I bought the set from Mustangs Unlimited $200+. Used only about 10% of the hardware kit as its a multi-generational kit. It came with a bolt with an angle piece attached that attaches to the door jamb. Had to bend a little to get the rivit holes to align properly, easy. I would have preferred the bolt to be about 1/2 longer but thats life. Looks good, kind of like "factory" as it sits on the vertical wall just below the top edge, but had to bend the plastic rear quarter inside piece some to get the bolts on. It didn't crack and I plan on using the heat gun to mold it a little, then re-paint the pieces. Took it out for a three hour drive afterwards and they worked & felt well.

I just installed the 3 point set in my 73 conv. this weekend. Very pleased with results. Buckles look period original though don't match what I took out. Wanted the shoulder harness and didn't like the safety aspects of 40 year old belts. I bought the set from Mustangs Unlimited $200+. Used only about 10% of the hardware kit as its a multi-generational kit. It came with a bolt with an angle piece attached that attaches to the door jamb. Had to bend a little to get the rivit holes to align properly, easy. I would have preferred the bolt to be about 1/2 longer but thats life. Looks good, kind of like "factory" as it sits on the vertical wall just below the top edge, but had to bend the plastic rear quarter inside piece some to get the bolts on. It didn't crack and I plan on using the heat gun to mold it a little, then re-paint the pieces. Took it out for a three hour drive afterwards and they worked & felt well.
Pics would be great if you get a chance. :)

I was at work yesterday when I posted and planned on taking some photos to add today. Here they are. 3 pt mount bracket in door jamb.jpg 3 pt mount inside.jpg The bracket in the door jamb doesn't look too bad and doesn't interfere with door closing at all. You drill through two sheet metal pieces and the interior 1/4 plastic to get the bolt through. I alligned the hole through the strongest part I thought on the inside metal above a ridge in the metal. The plastic inside is bent in about 1/2 inch. I will be using the heat gun to mold it a little better for a more permanent flex.

When you wear the belts, they comfortable ride over your shoulder. I'm 6' and they fit fine. I have a MB CLK430 cabriolet as my daily driver and the seat belts fit pretty much the same with a simlar mounting angle.

Pics would be great if you get a chance. :)

I've seen setups like in the pics above from Alwayswanted73vert. This is a good setup and plenty strong. I have a setup like this for my 65 but haven't installed it yet. When I bought, I researched and determined then this would work fine for both safety and comfort. $200 is a nice price. I think I paid $300 for my set a few years ago.

I like the holder strap that was added to Adrose's car. I haven't seen that before...cool idea. My 05 vert has a similar strap at the bottom of the seat but is fastened with a magnet instead of a snap closure for ease of entry to the back seat.

I may do something like this on my Mach1s so as to not have a visible strap hanging in the window all the time.

Back