Power steering pump

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al rumble

Reaction score
My Car
1973 grande
Hey love this site, I have found it so helpful.

Latest problem. Just finished detailing the engine bay. Looks great, used two part flat black and looks way better than I had imagined.

Problem was the power steering pump was a mess of forty some odd years of minor oil leaks spread all around that side of the engine and bay.

It was low on fluid, so I figured if I'm going to pull it and clean and paint it, I should probably rebuild it! Right, it works, so rebuild it?

After installing the seal kit. I installed it, filled it up and got nothing? No power assist. Then I added fluid and worked the wheel back and forth and filled it again. After a few fills I started to get some groaning. Then some foaming. Then lots of groaning and foaming........

I figure the pump seals must not be holding the pressure back from the reservoir ? Causing the foam ect.

My local part store will get me a rebuilt pump for my res for a hundred bucks if none of you old pros can help me.

73 grande, 351c Thompson psp

Thanks, again

Hi Al,

My factory original steering pump on my '73 Mach 1 most recently, needed a full resto.

I had a good local company do the job, and it cost me $500.00 Australian to do the rebuild.

I think you are in a better position than myself.

Cheers,

Greg.:)

The remained pumps themselves should only be $50. you might have to go through a few to find one thats ok. i kept finding that the high pressure end where the hose couples to was damaged. have the parts store bring in several or just have them look it over before you pick it up. Cardone sells a new one but i would check your clearance from the one you have now to your firewall. if its like 1/2 in you should be ok to use it. i had issues with mine.

Thanks for the posts.

I used type f atf.

I read, last night, that because I would have had air in the seystem that I should have jacked the car up and worked the wheel back and forth to purge the system. Before I started it?

I should add that it has a power steering cooler too. Should I try to pull the fluid through the return line?

my original pump worked but had a huge dent in the side of the fluid tank and was creased.

a buddy had a bunch of junk 71-73s and i bought a rusted power steering pump off him thinking i would strip it and replace the tank on my pump which was pretty junky as well.

when i spun the pump i got from my buddy at home fluid shot out. so i drained it, capped off the inlet and outlet, pulled the pulley off and put it in the media blaster. I then cleaned it, primed it, and painted it and cleaned up the pulley and put it right into my car with out rebuilding it, that was thousands of miles ago and several years ago now it is still going.

Thanks for the posts.

I used type f atf.

I read, last night, that because I would have had air in the seystem that I should have jacked the car up and worked the wheel back and forth to purge the system. Before I started it?

I should add that it has a power steering cooler too. Should I try to pull the fluid through the return line?
Yes jack the wheels off the ground and work the steering wheel from stop to stop with the cap off the pump. That should get any air out of the system, check the fluid level and repeat if needed until its smooth and quiet and no more foam.

Thanks for the help.

I put in a reman and jacked it up, worked the wheel, and presto it works great.

I must have pinched an o ring or something when I rebuilt it.

Who says money can't buy happiness.

Thanks again.

Back