Any Advice on Engine Stands

I plan on rebuilding a 72 351C engine to transplant into my 73 Vert 6 cylinder. I have a nice Torin Big Red 2 ton engine hoist but need an engine stand. I understand the 351 C weights about 600 pounds. The local Auto Zone sells THIS ONE for $70.00 and is in stock, but I think I'd rather find a folding version.

Any comments/suggestions about the quality or versatility of different stands.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

I have 2 that I found on sale at Harbor freight. Paid about $40 each, they are rated for "rated" for 1000 lbs but I wouldnt dare go near that but they hold the 2 spare clevelands jsut fine, and rebuilt one on it without issues.

I get flyers with it on sale from time to time, or they have 20 % coupons in many magazines like Car craft and Modified Mustangs

Whichever you decide on get one with 4 wheels, there are some 3 wheelers that dont roll very well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-stand-32916.html

mustangnight010.jpg

1972 Mustang Convertible 351C 4V

1966 Ford Galaxie 7 litre-4speed

Jorge

I agree with Jorgem. I have two that I store clevelands on as well. One I bought years ago on sale. It is 3 wheeled and has difficulty supporting the engine. It drops down in front to the degree that I put a 2x4 support under the front of the block. I have the second one on a stand from Harbor Freight and it works great. It is yellow and rated at 1000lbs with the four casters. I bought it about 6 months ago when I pulled the cleveland 4 barrel out of my car. I know Harbor Freight also has a folding one, just can't comment on its quality. I always use the 20% off coupons I get in Mustang Monthly and other magazines. We have a store here in Memphis and that makes getting things alot better than shipping. I would recommend the Harbor Freight option as well.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Mine from Harbour Freight also, 1000lb rating $39.00 works fine but alittle hard to move around when loaded. looked at 1500lb one but wheels smaller so went for larger wheels

Alan L

1_30_09_13_10_12_32.png

Alan L

whatever you go with make sure on the four wheels. Mine was on a three wheeler and scared the hell out of me every time I moved it.

X2

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]