Any Advice on Engine Stands

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
I plan on rebuilding a 72 351C engine to transplant into my 73 Vert 6 cylinder. I have a nice Torin Big Red 2 ton engine hoist but need an engine stand. I understand the 351 C weights about 600 pounds. The local Auto Zone sells THIS ONE for $70.00 and is in stock, but I think I'd rather find a folding version.

Any comments/suggestions about the quality or versatility of different stands.

I have 2 that I found on sale at Harbor freight. Paid about $40 each, they are rated for "rated" for 1000 lbs but I wouldnt dare go near that but they hold the 2 spare clevelands jsut fine, and rebuilt one on it without issues.

I get flyers with it on sale from time to time, or they have 20 % coupons in many magazines like Car craft and Modified Mustangs

Whichever you decide on get one with 4 wheels, there are some 3 wheelers that dont roll very well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-stand-32916.html

I agree with Jorgem. I have two that I store clevelands on as well. One I bought years ago on sale. It is 3 wheeled and has difficulty supporting the engine. It drops down in front to the degree that I put a 2x4 support under the front of the block. I have the second one on a stand from Harbor Freight and it works great. It is yellow and rated at 1000lbs with the four casters. I bought it about 6 months ago when I pulled the cleveland 4 barrel out of my car. I know Harbor Freight also has a folding one, just can't comment on its quality. I always use the 20% off coupons I get in Mustang Monthly and other magazines. We have a store here in Memphis and that makes getting things alot better than shipping. I would recommend the Harbor Freight option as well.

Back